Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range above EPA estimate for 2017 Model S 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Folks!

New tesla owner here. Love the vehicle. Bought my first one 9 days ago, here in eastern Kentucky (closest supercharger is 35 miles away in another state). In looking up the epa estimate for my tesla model s 75d, 2017 model year, its 259 EPA rated. Its of course, used model, 69K miles on screen.

However, when I am charging, when i am at 90 percent, it's given me a range of about 265 to 267 miles, which equates to 295 to 297 miles on a full charge.

I've got a teslafi account, and my stats are consistent with other cars near my mileage and make/model.

I know lots of things affect range (hills, highway driving only, wind at your back, ac compressor etc.), but I'm not aware of much that makes my range go UP above epa range.

I also live in the mountains in eastern Kentucky, and travel throughout state for my job, meaning I've driven lots of the highways and long "state routes", with lots of elevation changes.

Is there anything I'm missing a reason as to why my estimate is higher than EPA?

I'd always heard that tesla's range on the screen (not in the energy app), was based on fixed EPA data, so that's what's been throwing me for a loop.

Again I love the car, and this is not a complaint, just trying to learn as much as I can like a sponge!

Yeah, “ideal” is a fantasy that shouldn’t even be an option. It seems a lot of dealers and others have become aware of this option though and use it to put one over on buyers less informed than you.

Enjoy the car; you’ll love it!

Reactions: Gixx1300R
rated is also a fantasy.
I’ve done better than EPA (in summer) on all my Tesla’s. My lifetime is very close to EPA including winter driving and some towing. Many folks do. If you drive it like you stole it you won’t.

Currently at 245 wh/mi at 5000 miles on a Refresh S. That includes some winter and towing. EPA is 240 wh/mi. I’m getting 230 wh/mi this summer. 19” summer tires.

For folks who have done close to or exceed EPA, how do you do that? How big a factor is driving speed? I have just done a 600-mile trip and gotten roughly 1 to 1.2 miles for each percent. That's between 100 - 120 miles range. I was going around 80 and all highway. When I drove at 65-70, I get around 120.

How much less range if driving at 80mph vs 65mph?
How much does temperature affect range?
How much does A/C affect range? (there is really no other significant load). - didn't tow!

For folks who have done close to or exceed EPA, how do you do that? How big a factor is driving speed? I have just done a 600-mile trip and gotten roughly 1 to 1.2 miles for each percent. That's between 100 - 120 miles range. I was going around 80 and all highway. When I drove at 65-70, I get around 120.

How much less range if driving at 80mph vs 65mph?
How much does temperature affect range?
How much does A/C affect range? (there is really no other significant load). - didn't tow!
Read my post above for an idea on what I get,,,
AC is a fairly constant 1kW consumption therefore it will have a bigger impact (as far as % of range) at slower speeds, when the motor consumption is lower.
Simple example: at 0mph pretty much 100% of range is being used by the AC. When the motor is pulling 100kW then AC is only 1% (obviously there are also computers and pumps running as well but you get the point)

However wind resistance is huge at higher speeds and >75mph its impact on range is pretty significant.
Headwind will be the same as adding almost that much speed. So if you go 60mph with a 20mph headwind, your range would be almost the same as if you were going 80 with no wind.

Hard accelerations kill range. Hills will impact range.

For me in no wind on a flat road in comfortable weather with AC off I can achieve 1mi for 1mi of rated at 65mph