Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range after 15K Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope that this isn't a redundant question, but I am a new owner and trying to determine if what I am experiencing is to be expected or if there is an issue.

When I charge, it turns off (stating 'fully charged') at 185 miles. This is in Standard Mode.

Is this to be expected on a battery (that has been well cared for) with only 15,000 miles on it?

Any direction you can give would be appreciated.

When my 2.0 was new (built Sept 2009), the advertised range was 245. Standard mode supposedly hid the top and bottom 10 percent, so you'd expect a brand-new car in standard mode to show about 196 miles. I think mine generally showed 194, occasionally 195 when new. It didn't take long to drop to the 187-189 range, and I seem to recall it staying there for quite a while.

There was a firmware upgrade about a year and a half ago that seemed (?) to either hide a little more or just estimate a little more conservatively--most people lost a few miles to that.

My car is now at 32k miles, and now I typically get about 173 miles in standard mode (around 219 in range mode). Other people I know with similar miles seem to be doing a little better than I am, perhaps in the low 180's. Losing 10% in 2.5 years isn't terribly comforting, but I try to remember charts I've seen that show the greatest losses early on, then it levels off.

Also note the numbers can change depending on how you drive AND charge. Try taking a fairly long, easy drive; then come back and charge at a slow rate, and give it time to level. You might get a few more miles.

Also remember to recalibrate the "gas guage" in the batteries once in a while... in particular when using storage mode. The process is to charge in standard mode a few times and let it sit to equalize. The gas gauge is the battery's internal charge / discharge range gauge. Its not detrimental to the battery, it just won't report its estimated capacity accurately and can lead to low ideal mile range when its out of tolerance.

In my experience every roadster is a bit different...I have a Roadster that has 12k miles and consistently shows 191 miles after being fully charged in standard mode, another one that has 5k miles shows 187 miles in standard mode, and the last one has 200 miles and shows 189 miles after being charged in standard mode. All these roadsters are driven fairly consistently (at least once a week).

Have you pulled the logs?

This has all been very helpful. I have not pulled logs. I should probably do that.

In my experience every roadster is a bit different...I have a Roadster that has 12k miles and consistently shows 191 miles after being fully charged in standard mode, another one that has 5k miles shows 187 miles in standard mode, and the last one has 200 miles and shows 189 miles after being charged in standard mode. All these roadsters are driven fairly consistently (at least once a week).

Have you pulled the logs?

My car just turned 17000 last night. The tesla tattler report this morning was battery at 97% and 184 standard miles. My last range charge was 135 miles but forget the reported battery % charge. Going to charge in range mode this week and will be glad to update .

I hope that this isn't a redundant question, but I am a new owner and trying to determine if what I am experiencing is to be expected or if there is an issue.

When I charge, it turns off (stating 'fully charged') at 185 miles. This is in Standard Mode.

Is this to be expected on a battery (that has been well cared for) with only 15,000 miles on it?

Any direction you can give would be appreciated.

Good numbers compared to mine. I recently hit 10.000 miles and the ideal range in standard is never above 182 miles.

When I got my car with less than 500 miles on it, standard mode charging would put me at 189-191 miles. Now after 23k I'm getting 180 - so about 5% after
a little more than a year.

Your pack probably isn't balanced. Do a Range mode charge, let it sit a couple of hours, then take it out for a spin to drop it back down from 100% charge. See if that improves your standard charge range.

Doug, would standard mode also equalize them? I read from a tesla tech email on this forum to do 3 standard mode charges and let it sit to equalize for some time on each charge. Now the battery "gas gauge" (what each battery has) typically need to be recalibrate once in a while. For that at least a 95% charge and then discharge down to 5% recalibrates it. That is for consumer electronics with the LIPO packs, I would believe it also applies here so your range mode charge does make sense. And yes when the battery equalizes/gas gauge is recalibrate you can get more miles and an accurate reading of charge/discharge state.

Last edited:
Yes, standard mode charging will slowly balance the pack - it can take a couple of weeks. Range mode apparently does more balancing than standard mode. Never beeen explained why or how, but from observation it does appear to be true.