Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range anxiety about traveling in Mexico.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I just got a new Y and I'm pretty happy so far. I drive from Tucson to Hermosillo about once a month and I'm a little apprehensive about range, specially on the return HMO-TUS because of the altitude diferencial. Has anyone done this trip so you can give me some advice? Would you advise me to stay overnight at the Fiesta Inn in Nogales on the way back? I know that the Mexican side has at least two destination chargers along the way, but nothing on the US side south of Tucson. Thanks for your help!

Have you used the PlugShare app? It’s showing several destination chargers on route.

there’s one that was doing 27mph on a model S and they charge slower then the 3/Y. This was in Santa Ana. It would break up your drive well.

so if you stopped there for example, and had a nice lunch near by for a bit over an hour, you’ll probably have some nicely acclimated batteries for continuing your trip.

Beyond this, overnight with a full battery in the morning will take some stress out of your drive.

Reactions: electricar
Have you used the PlugShare app? It’s showing several destination chargers on route.

there’s one that was doing 27mph on a model S and they charge slower then the 3/Y. This was in Santa Ana. It would break up your drive well.

so if you stopped there for example, and had a nice lunch near by for a bit over an hour, you’ll probably have some nicely acclimated batteries for continuing your trip.

Beyond this, overnight with a full battery in the morning will take some stress out of your drive.
Thanks!

Reactions: Ol'Blue
I plugged in the route for my older performance model 3 which doesn’t have near the efficiency of the newer 3 and Y. With my degradation, less efficient car, and family packed in, A Better Route Planner told me I would get to your destination with 3% left from a 90% battery at start.

So I’m my cars car, I would stop for about an hour to keep the batteries warm and a little top up so I know I would have some “reserve” juice by the time I get there.

Reactions: Watts_Up