Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range anxiety and broken chargers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Tesla predicts and routes through super charger depending on battery state. Can I trust they prediction? Or should I charge a bit more at the supercharger? Or should I try to make it to the supercharger before the battery goes below 10% ? (I've noticed Tesla routes only if battery gets below 10%)

2. Fuel stations barely break. Infact I've never seen an broken pump. Why do chargers break? I understand and sudden increase in voltage or current could cause this, but a quick google search shows it's too common to find a broken charger. I don't think that electrical components fail that frequently (unless the build quality is that bad). Does anyone have an insight of what breaks a fast charger or supercharger (NRMA, Tesla, ...)

Selecting the Supercharger icon on the screen of the car will show you all nearby SC and the availability of stations at each so there is not issue there. 3rd party is another monster all together. I had checked on the Chargefox charger the night before (in Plugshare and the Chargefox app) heading to Port Macquarie and planned to top up there as it is cheaper than the close by SC at the winery plus I get a 20% NRMA discount.

Got a report that one CCS charger was faulted but the other was operational. Got there the next day to see a green light on the charger so I plugged in. Car reported no power from the charger and the charger itself then faulted out of service. Luckily, the SC was just up the road and I had no issue there as all stations were online. Look for cheaper options but always have the SC locations in the back of my mind for instances like this.

Why do these 3rd party chargers go offline? That's an unanswerable question. Lack of support. I guess once the Ampol and BP networks come online in greater numbers this issue will disappear.

PS. I've not had any issue with the cars predictions and found them to be very accurate.

1. Tesla predicts and routes through super charger depending on battery state. Can I trust they prediction? Or should I charge a bit more at the supercharger? Or should I try to make it to the supercharger before the battery goes below 10% ? (I've noticed Tesla routes only if battery gets below 10%)

2. Fuel stations barely break. Infact I've never seen an broken pump. Why do chargers break? I understand and sudden increase in voltage or current could cause this, but a quick google search shows it's too common to find a broken charger. I don't think that electrical components fail that frequently (unless the build quality is that bad). Does anyone have an insight of what breaks a fast charger or supercharger (NRMA, Tesla, ...)
The main benefit of the Tesla Superchargers is that they are dependable, if there is none of them are working the NAV will know and route you differently. I will leave a 15% buffer if the weather is sketchy.

The best way to approach non Tesla chargers, is don't absolutely rely on a single stall charger working in order to continue your trip. Have enough charge spare in order to get you to a plan B charger. I was charging at Wodonga in order to get me to my accommodation near Wagga Wagga that I expected to have a working charger, to be safe I charged enough to get me to the Gundagai supercharger just in case I had issues with my destination charger.

Best way to learn about how to charge for road trips, watch Bjorn's 1000km challenge videos.

Tesla Superchargers rarely break, 99.6% reliable, and as there's at least 3 at each site theres a plan B. On the other hand generic DC charger reliability in Australia is abysmal.
BTW, Range Anxiety is a term invented long ago by those keen to see EVs fail, it only exists if you don't plan ahead.

Reactions: Maximillan

I think the bottom line with an EV is to plan ahead. Use the tools available (such as A Better Route Planner) to get a feel for where the fast chargers are and over time you will become more familiar and comfortable with both the range of the vehicle and what you need to do have a comfortable and reliable trip.

In general I find Tesla’s range predictions to be pretty accurate. But things like very strong headwinds or heavy rain can impact range by the order of 20%. So it’s always prudent to not sail too close to the wind and charge a bit more where it’s convenient to do so. But the other thing is it’s very easy in an EV to reduce your power consumption by 20% - simply drive slower (e.g. 80-90 km/h instead of 110). If you are really caught out for some reason (and you shouldn’t be if you’ve planned ahead), you can probably “hypermile it” to the nearest charging point.

What I don‘t like about Tesla’s charging nav is it ignores third party DCFCs, so I use ABRP to plan trips on routes I’ve never driven before.

In one of their “lessons learned“ reports to ARENA, Chargefox claim that most faults are due to software not hardware. They said some chargers need weekly physical on-site visits to clear false alarms, something that should be fixable remotely. They also said that while they were initially concerned that critical high power components and vehicle connectors would be the most likely source of outages, that has not been the case in practice.

In my experience, broken third party DCFCs that are a “surprise” are rare. I say that because if I plan a trip that uses third party DCFCs, I always check Plugshare to see if there have been recent successful charges, as well as the provider’s own App on the day of travel to verify ports are working. And if I can see sites are offline or reports of them being faulty, I simply avoid them and stop at an alternative charger. Hence my use of the word “surprise” - all reports look good, but when I turn up it’s not. NRMA is the main problem, as many sites are single stall, and they don’t yet report real time status, so Plugshare is the only source of intelligence.

The only time I have encountered a faulty DCFC in 3 years was at the single-stall NRMA site in Young not long ago. I plugged in and the unit faulted after only a minute of charging. I unplugged, re-holstered the gun, plugged in again, and then charge went through to completion. So in the end even that was OK.

On our Adelaide trips we always go through Victoria to use the SC network, they always work, no planning ahead required. The shorter Sturt Highway route has lower charging speeds and requires longer charging to enable plan 'B' if the next charger is kaput. This will hopefully change when SC's / other multi charger sites appear.
Then there is Ouyen, was down again for a month.
Plugshare can be useful / accurate, just wish more people would use it especially to report a dead charger.

Reactions: Gayle S and Vostok
1. Tesla predicts and routes through super charger depending on battery state. Can I trust they prediction? Or should I charge a bit more at the supercharger?
The predictions are generally pretty good, particularly with the latest firmware updates, but as others have said they can underestimate if the weather turns against you.

If you always use the navigation (if you know the route you can just silence the audio cues) then it will constantly update its prediction of your arrival %, and if you start using too much it'll tell you to slow down so you will make it to the destination.

I'd tend to charge another 5 minutes at the Supercharger beyond the bare minimum. Often by the time I've gotten a coffee or whatever it'll be over the time anyway.

Fuel stations barely break. Infact I've never seen an broken pump.
I think you just haven't noticed it because there's usually quite a few other working ones. The Costco ones break so frequently that they have A-frame signs made up for "front pump out of service" and "rear pump out of service".

Reactions: Hairyman
The predictions are generally pretty good, particularly with the latest firmware updates
One thing I've noticed is that the displayed number of stalls free is often out of date. While driving, it might change every 5 minutes, but I have no idea how accurate it is in real time. I recently arrived at an 8-stall SC where my display said 6 free and there were only 3 free. That could get frustrating if those numbers were 3 and 0.