Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range anxiety for pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So picking up my LR AWD non p model 3 on Monday from Mt Kisco, NY. I have to drive back to Binghamton, NY. Approximately 186 miles. Looks like there is no superchargers between the two. Looks like temperatures are going to be around 35 to 22F. Should I be concerned? Oh also rt 17 is 65 mph and I have areo wheels.

Last edited:
So picking up my LR AWD non p model 3 on Monday from Mt Kisco, NY. I have to drive back to Binghamton, NY. Approximately 186 miles. Looks like there is no superchargers between the two. Looks like temperatures are going to be around 35 to 22F. Should I be concerned? Oh also rt 17 is 65 mph and I have areo wheels.
If you drive at 65 mph you should be fine. If the range is dropping faster than you're comfortable with just reduce your speed to 55 and you'll should get back there with plenty of range left.

While this probably good without saying, make sure the battery is charged up (usually charged to about 90%).

There have been reports of people getting their car with only about 50% charge. May worth mentioning to your delivery advisor but not sure it would make a difference.

Assuming you have 100% when leaving Mt. Kisco, you can make that trip easily; even driving 5 over the speed limit in these conditions; you'll still arrive with 25%+ to spare.

I would call ahead to the Tesla center and make sure they charge your car to 100%; if they don't; looks like you will have to detour to NewBurgh.

The other nice thing is that the Model 3 now has the trip energy graph so you can see if you are on track for arriving at your destination. Remember you can always drive slower if the trip estimator is saying you wont make it there.

I don't think there is any scenario where you would leave Mt. Kisco with 100% and not arrive in Binghamton; even driving 90 miles an hour. but if they don't have the car fully charged; you will have to detour.

to mimic others though..... abetterrouteplanner.com is your best friend when roadtripping.

Reactions: cdeleo
Thanks everyone for the info, I'll definitely call ahead and tell them I need battery at 100%. I'm actually headed farther than that but the next leg is about 170 miles from Binghamton and has another supercharger at painted post, ny

To answer your question, White Plains has a supercharger at the Sheraton Hotel lot right off of I- 287 on your way to the Como (formerly Tappan Zee) bridge. Also as noted earlier a supercharger in Newburgh close to both I-87 and I-84. We used both on our way to Binghamton were we used the supercharger on Front Street at the SPOT restaurant, a little north of the city and right off of I-81.

I picked up my M3 in Mt. Kisco Nov.7 to drive to near Syracuse, NY.
Asked in advance for full charge. Received with 100 miles. Trying hard but frustrated delivery manager and staff told me that they had only one supercharger at the delivery center and it had broken down They were trying to deliver 15+ cars per day and only had a few 240 plug in outlets. He told me they are delivering for all of not only Up state NY with travel distances of 450+ miles, but also Vermont and New Hampshire because a sales tax glitch in Massachusetts requires full payment of Massachusetts tax and not ability to recover it for out of state residents. Actual show room and service shop about 1 mile distant also had no supercharger!

After facing the wrath of my spouse, the delivery manager presented us with one of the coveted? toy size model M3's and a folder with a print of the preliminary concept sketch of the M3! Staff tries very hard under very trying (overwhelming) conditions with inadequate capital investment Tesla in the delivery point. Note - I and others turned down home delivery because of reports on this site of discovering problems at delivery and inadequate orientations using that method.

To answer your question, White Plains has a supercharger at the Sheraton Hotel lot right off of I- 287 on your way to the Como (formerly Tappan Zee) bridge. Also as noted earlier a supercharger in Newburgh close to both I-87 and I-84. We used both on our way to Binghamton were we used the supercharger on Front Street at the SPOT restaurant, a little north of the city and right off of I-81.

I picked up my M3 in Mt. Kisco Nov.7 to drive to near Syracuse, NY.
Asked in advance for full charge. Received with 100 miles. Trying hard but frustrated delivery manager and staff told me that they had only one supercharger at the delivery center and it had broken down They were trying to deliver 15+ cars per day and only had a few 240 plug in outlets. He told me they are delivering for all of not only Up state NY with travel distances of 450+ miles, but also Vermont and New Hampshire because a sales tax glitch in Massachusetts requires full payment of Massachusetts tax and not ability to recover it for out of state residents. Actual show room and service shop about 1 mile distant also had no supercharger!

After facing the wrath of my spouse, the delivery manager presented us with one of the coveted? toy size model M3's and a folder with a print of the preliminary concept sketch of the M3! Staff tries very hard under very trying (overwhelming) conditions with inadequate capital investment Tesla in the delivery point. Note - I and others turned down home delivery because of reports on this site of discovering problems at delivery and inadequate orientations using that method.
Thanks for the info I may have to use Newburgh supercharger if I get there and they don't have it fully charged. I just hope everything goes as planned. I'm trying to make the trip down and back in one very long day with about 750 miles round trip. I really don't want to have to go back.

And minimize the the use of the pedal to the right. The M3 is too much fun to "punch it" but it will cost you some range. Engage Chill mode and you will be fine.

The same can be said for the pedal to the left - try to avoid braking/maximize regen as much as possible and it will greatly improve your efficiency. (disclaimer - if you are about to hit the car in front of you, please do use the brake).

So I made it and Mt Kisco had the car charged to over 300 miles. Ended up at Binghamton supercharger with 64 miles left. Averaged about 55 to 60 mph and was about 33 degrees F all the way. Very nasty drive. About an inch or 2 of snowy slush crap the whole way. Car handled very well in it though. This of course was with the all season stock tires. Oh and I kept the heat around 65 and seat heater on. So thanks to everyone for the tips and now I have to go check on my baby in the garage.

So I made it and Mt Kisco had the car charged to over 300 miles. Ended up at Binghamton supercharger with 64 miles left. Averaged about 55 to 60 mph and was about 33 degrees F all the way. Very nasty drive. About an inch or 2 of snowy slush crap the whole way. Car handled very well in it though. This of course was with the all season stock tires. Oh and I kept the heat around 65 and seat heater on. So thanks to everyone for the tips and now I have to go check on my baby in the garage.
Excellent, happy to hear. Congrats!

Reactions: cdeleo