Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Anxiety vs. Charging Speed for those prepping for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started a reply in another thread regarding home charging, but I put so much detail into my post I decided it maybe deserved its own thread.

Basically I wanted to let people know what it "feels" like to have a car that can charge at different charging speeds since I've lived through almost every level for months at a time. I'm hoping this might help those of you planning your charging situation for when your Model 3 finally arrives.

I've been charging a BMW i3 for over year now on various charging methods starting with a standard outlet 12 amp 120v, 16 amp 120v, then eventually worked my way up to various L2 methods and finally to a Model X on a high powered wall connector.... I spent several months at each stage working my way up. So I can give input on what "range anxiety" feels like at different levels of charge.

My commute is only ~20 miles a day, but I tend to have a lot of auxillary trips, errands and visits which put my basic daily usage at ~40-80 mi per day as an average range.

Here are my thoughts on charging speed at the different levels. (I've converted everything to kw charge level as it is easier to visualize the improvements

1.44 kw (This is charging on any old standard 120v receptacle @ 12 amps)
~2-3 mph charging
Costs: $0
Who this might work for: People with less than an 60 mile round trip commute who do not use their car for anything other than commuting.
Who this won't work for: -nyone who commonly takes unplanned trips more than 15 miles away, spends large portions of the evenings away from home where they can't charge, or don't want to be bothered to charge every single day for long periods of time.
How I felt using this method: I was capable of making this level of charging work... but I found myself stressing a lot about getting the thing charged, especially on the weekends funny enough, when I traveled further distances to meet up with family and friends, see movies, etc then came home late. I would have the car plugged in and charging on the weekends, and then find myself not wanting to take that trip to the hardware store because not only would it use my miles, but I would be loosing the opportunity time of charging the hour I was out. Sometimes if my battery was really low, I worried about what would happen if my kids had an accident before the charge got high enough to have range to get to the hospital. Sure it was rare that I stressed or didn't have the charge I needed, but it

1.92 kw charging (This is charging on a 20 amp 120v outlet. I was using a special EVSE with the BMW i3 but for a tesla you would just need the 5-20 adapter)
3-5 mph charging
Costs: If you look inside your outlet box, if you are using 12 gauge wiring, and you are on a 20 amp breaker, you just need to change out your outlet to a 5-20r receptacle ($2-3) If you have 14 gauge wire, you are sol as it isn't worth it to install 12 gauge wiring over installing level 2 cabling.
Who this might work for: - People with less than a 80 mile round trip commute who don't use their car for anything other than commuting.
Who this won't work for: Anyone who commonly takes unplanned trips... pretty much the same as 1.44kw charging, just 33% better.
How I felt using this method: It was a minor lessening of range anxiety, I could come home later in the day and still get a full charge before the next day's commute, although a lot of the range anxiety I mention for 120v charging above still remained, but it was a bit more workable.

3.84 kw charging (I broke down and installed a 240v line to the garage, but I still only had a 240v 16 amp evse. This is the tesla equivalent of charging of a 20 amp 240v receptacle)
9-11 mph charging
Who this might work for: Commutes under 150 miles round trip, some additional usage, if willing to plug their car in EVERY time they step out of it.
Who this won't work for: Someone who uses their car heavily, or take long trips and then leave within a few hours to take another trip
How I felt using this method: I felt so much less restricted.... Many days, after making my commute, my car was charged a substantial amount to make any errands I might usually make by the time I had eaten dinner and changed my clothes. Range anxiety was aleiviated substantially by making the bump to L2 charging (even if at the slowest possible L2)

7.68 kw charging (I purchased a 32 amp EVSE, which could charge my bmw i3 at full speed l2 charging)
20-22 mph charging
Who this would work for: This rate is capable of charging around 300 overnight... so pretty much anyone.
Who this won't work for: The only person this rate wouldn't work for is a heavy taxi or uber driver, or perhaps someone who is only home 6 hours a day before leaving again who also has a large commute?
How I felt using this method: This is now at the level of not even realizing you have an electric car... almost 0 range anxiety, even forgetting to plug in won't leave you stranded at your house for hours if you happened to be low.

11.52 kw charging (Now with a tesla wall connector and model x 100d @ 48 amps 240v)
30-31 mph charging
Who this would work for: capable of charging 400-500 miles a night (more than the battery takes); Anyone except maybe the highest mileage taxi or uber driver.
How I feel using this method: The model X has so much capacity compared to the i3 anyways, combined with super fast charging; It literally feels like a gas car in terms of Range anxiety... With my length commute and usage I could forget to plug it in for days and still be fine. Forgetting to plug in once isn't even an inconvenience. When I do need to charge quickly... I have more range in 1-2 hours than I could really drive through with the places I go.

As a bonus here is a nice little table:
blaev.png

P.S. If you end up installing a tesla wall connector... and are confused about breaker and wire gauge, I'll make it easy for you... use THHN wire, don't use romex, unless it is pre-existing, (but you'll most likely be limited to 40 amp charging if you repurpose some 6 gauge romex.)

If you are certain that 60 amp breaker 48 amp charging is sufficient for you; and that is as fast as your car is anyways; use 6 gauge wire in 3/4" conduit and be done. However, If you think more electric cars or faster charging speeds might be for you in the future, use 3 gauge thhn wire and 1" conduit, even on the 60 amp breaker 48 amp charging to future-proof yourself. (with my model 3 almost here, I'm kicking myself for not just putting in the $$ to have done it right with 3 gauge wire and be able to charge both cars at once at almost full speed.)

For load balancing two cars, or 72 amp charging, just do it right the first time and just use 3 gauge thhn wire in 1" conduit on a 100 amp breaker and be done.

Last edited:
So, so helpful, thanks.

Mom's got an i3, but her usage rate is like the lowest level 1 and she put in a 240v charger about a week after she got the car, so I can't get a really good comparison and what it's like to live with story out of her.

I am the first to get a Model 3/electric car so it didnt even occur to me to put in a 100A breaker and #3 wire for load balancing two cars! In all reality the cost is not much more if you factor in labor.

I put in #6 THHN in 3/4" flex conduit run through my basement to a NEMA 6-50 box in my garage with 50A breaker. I will upgrade to a Tesla Wall Connector in a few weeks though since Oregon has the tax credit through 2017! I will just have to change out my circuit breaker to match whatever output setting i use on the Wall Connector for my Model 3

I am the first to get a Model 3/electric car so it didnt even occur to me to put in a 100A breaker and #3 wire for load balancing two cars! In all reality the cost is not much more if you factor in labor.

I put in #6 THHN in 3/4" flex conduit run through my basement to a NEMA 6-50 box in my garage with 50A breaker. I will upgrade to a Tesla Wall Connector in a few weeks though since Oregon has the tax credit through 2017! I will just have to change out my circuit breaker to match whatever output setting i use on the Wall Connector for my Model 3

(I know you weren't soliciting the information that follows here, but I just spent a lot of time researching this, so I thought I'd just give you the details in case you are interested)
Your max breaker size on that #6 wire for use with the wall conenctor will be maximum a 60 amp breaker for 48 amp charging (which should be full speed for the model 3)

Details:
While #6 wire is rated for up to 75 (60 continuous) amps in the 90 degree column, the wall connector's internal connectors seem to be rated at 75 degrees (not to mention the breaker's connectors.) so you will have to use that 75 degree column for the wire. That puts you at at 65 amps max (52 amps continuous) for 6 gauge THHN.

This means the wall connector's 56, 64, 72 and 80 amperage settings will exceed that 52 amps continuous rating calculation we just did, which caps you at the 48 amp setting for #6 gauge wire. This is perfect for a single model 3 car charging at 40 or 48 amps, but if you want multiple wall connectors or 72 amp charging capability for visitors, you will need to step up the wire gauge.

Also consider that any circuit over 60 amps would require a cutoff switch. (Although this could simply be a breaker in the garage within line of sight, depending on the codes in your area.)

Also derating factors could occur due to length of cable, if it is being run through a hot attic, or if there are multiple conductors in the same conduit.

reference: Ampacity Charts

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
The experience won't exactly transfer. The larger buffer of a long-range BEV makes low-speed charging much more viable.
This is true... its easier to fill in the gaps when your battery is larger and you can put more energy into the car at more opportune times vs. absolutely needing to charge every 80 or so miles.
Also a major consideration is the proximity of a supercharger to your home to supplement low speed charging and improve convenience..

One nice thing with the wall connectors is that they do load balancing automatically, so many people would be fine installing two on a 60 amp circuit, which is really nice if you don’t have 100 amps to spare or don’t want to install the lower gauge wire.

The experience won't exactly transfer. The larger buffer of a long-range BEV makes low-speed charging much more viable.
Yep.
While I very much appreciate my 6.6 kW L2 charger for our LEAF, I think I will dial down the current for the Model 3 to better match my PV output since the larger battery will let me use my average daily driving rather than charge for peak use. This is probably not a concern for many but I don't want my EVs to create a burden on the neighborhood transformer.

We currently have a L2 charger for our Soul EV. Can't imagine not having a L2 charger for any electrical vehicle although I agree that the extra range offers you some buffer. I will definitely install a L2 charger when my Model 3 comes in!

This is true... its easier to fill in the gaps when your battery is larger and you can put more energy into the car at more opportune times vs. absolutely needing to charge every 80 or so miles.
Also a major consideration is the proximity of a supercharger to your home to supplement low speed charging and improve convenience..

I wasn't really referring to long-distance travel. I was referring to home charging. With a larger battery you have more ability to spread out charging over a week.
Let's say you can charge 30 miles per weekday and you commute 40 miles per day, 5 days per week.
You'd start with a full battery.
Code:
Day Dep Arr Chg 
Mon   0 -40 -10
Tue -10 -50 -20
Wed -20 -60 -30
Thu -30 -70 -40
Fri -40 -80 -50

Assuming you don't want to have to hit a public charger every week, minimum viable range would be (including degradation) 80 miles.
With 80 miles of range any outage, failed charge or additional trip would leave you short and needing to hit a public charger.
With 140 miles of range you'd be able to deal with an outage/failed charge or have room for an additional trip.

Ironically, long-range BEV makes it easier for people to charge at home.

Can't imagine not having a L2 charger for any electrical vehicle although

I've charged 1000 straight days on L1 120V EVSE that came with my Smart ED. The small battery makes overnight charging a reality. The 2013 Smart ED only has a 3.3 kW L2 charger, so I didn't buy a L2 EVSE as I knew it would be outdated within a few years anyway no matter what I bought.

My new Smart ED arrives soon and will have a 7+ kW charger so I will likely install a L2 EVSE for it as the convenience of much faster charging will be worth it for me.

Thanks for sharing. As a non-car-commuter, I intend on getting the M3 SR just for pleasure. The Level 1 charging I have outside now should be fine getting a full charge for weekend trips and such; I'l save my $500 and forego the L2 upgrade.

Thanks for sharing. As a non-car-commuter, I intend on getting the M3 SR just for pleasure. The Level 1 charging I have outside now should be fine getting a full charge for weekend trips and such; I'l save my $500 and forego the L2 upgrade.
I think you are missing some information, you can have L2 without additional Tesla hardware it is a matter of wiring a different outlet which has some cost, might only be $100 if you have capacity and the fuse box nearby and can DIY or a lot more if the situation is difficult and requires professional installation.

Boy Scouts Motto: Be Prepared. I wouldn't nickel and dime the charging available to my Model 3. There WILL be that time when you NEED that faster charge but you failed to "Be Prepared."

Boy Scouts Motto: Be Prepared. I wouldn't nickel and dime the charging available to my Model 3. There WILL be that time when you NEED that faster charge but you failed to "Be Prepared."

Depending on the availability of charging infrastructure in his/her neighbourhood that might just mean popping into a L2 charging stop on the way home from a busy day of running errands now and then to get 10-15mins of fast charging and then let it top up overnight at home. But it would certainly pay to know where the nearest couple of fast charging options are if you are contemplating relying on very slow charging at home and also a bit of discipline to never return home with less than say 30% charge, so you always have enough to get you to a nearby supercharger if an unexpected journey crops up.