Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range anxiety!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Putting my CPO 2013 P85 away for the winter today, I drove to a garage about 15 miles away. My delivery consultant said to get to very few miles, plug it into a 110 to full, then back down to daily setting and recharge every week or so. I was at one mile rated range with two miles to go. Decided to go for it and pray, and I got there one mile past zero indicated.
I am not advocating going below zero, but it did remind me of a Seinfeld episode with Kramer in a Saab. Apparently there is a slight reserve built in. It worked for me today, but I do not plan on testing the theory ever again.
Love, Love, love this car! I own five cars and will NEVER not own a model S. Bravo Elon!

Reactions: Ormond
No there is not a slight reserve built in. You got lucky. Next time you may not. The displayed range is an estimate. As the above poster said, it can't be calculated exactly because battery state of charge can't be measured exactly.

Putting my CPO 2013 P85 away for the winter today, I drove to a garage about 15 miles away. My delivery consultant said to get to very few miles, plug it into a 110 to full, then back down to daily setting and recharge every week or so. I was at one mile rated range with two miles to go. Decided to go for it and pray, and I got there one mile past zero indicated.
I am not advocating going below zero, but it did remind me of a Seinfeld episode with Kramer in a Saab. Apparently there is a slight reserve built in. It worked for me today, but I do not plan on testing the theory ever again.
Love, Love, love this car! I own five cars and will NEVER not own a model S. Bravo Elon!
Don't do all that work - just leave it plugged in to 110 with the charge set to 50%, and don't think about it. Having to charge it once a week seems like such a pointless headache when this will work better.