Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range/Battery Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand why Tesla does not advertise upcoming battery improvements—as it might impact current sales. But does anybody have a hunch when we might see the next incremental battery improvement, specifically for the Model X. I’m looking to buy another once the max range approaches 340 Miles (ideal).

I have no idea. And as you note, Tesla isn’t talking. Nor should they.

A 45 mile Ideal Range improvement would be about a 15% increase over the X100D. I don’t expect that to happen in the next couple of years. Maybe in four or five years. But that is only my “hunch”.

If you want a longer range EV than your X90D, but an S100D which is rated at 335. Or for half the price, and almost as much range, but a Model 3. :cool:

Seems more likely the next battery-related improvement will be V3 supercharging - supporting much faster charging on road trips.

And with their push to profitability, also more likely Tesla will focus on reducing the costs for the current battery pack capacities, than introducing an even larger, more expensive, battery pack - that may be needed only by a small percentage of their customers.

For towing applications, it would be helpful to have a larger battery pack. Though even with the current 100 battery pack, if you select a reasonably aerodynamic trailer, you should be able to drive about 3 hours (at 55 MPH) between supercharging stops, on the order of what you get without towing (driving at full highway speeds).