Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Charge Daily due to New Warranty announcement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Range-charging and abusing the battery on a regular basis simply because one believes that the costs of such abuse will come out of Tesla's pocket instead of one's own is morally and ethically repugnant.

That's the diplomatic and understated version of my opinion, by the way. :wink:

I wouldn't range charge every night. But it will tweak my internal formula for when I consider doing a range charge. I.e. I will range charge now when I am certain I'll need it now. Go forward, I might range charge if I think there's a good possibility I will need it.

Implicit in this announcement IMO is a confidence that Tesla has in their battery to withstand more misuse than they planned or were willing to let on...

Range-charging and abusing the battery on a regular basis simply because one believes that the costs of such abuse will come out of Tesla's pocket instead of one's own is morally and ethically repugnant.

This.
Doing something like this is pretty chicken ****, and really shows you have absolutely no integrity.

But it will tweak my internal formula for when I consider doing a range charge. I.e. I will range charge now when I am certain I'll need it now. Go forward, I might range charge if I think there's a good possibility I will need it.

It won't tweak my actions: I've always been willing to range-charge if there was "a good chance" that I might need it on a given day. I've believed those more expert than I when they say that range charging every so often will do no harm, especially if you don't let the battery sit for hours or days at 100% SOC. And I'm also more willing to pay the price for battery degradation than I am to suffer the humiliation and inconvenience of running out of energy.

But what the new warranty announcement will do in my case is exactly what they intended: it will eliminate any trace of anxiety I might have harbored about whether or not I was even minimally harming the battery by range charging. As you note, it shows that Tesla is very confident in their product, and that helps me feel better about it too.

Not to take this off-topic, but you're saying your rated only goes to 227-228 on a standard charge?

I actually did a range charge today, so I was comparing that. It only went to 258@100%, where before it went to 273. In both cases, I'm using data from the second the charge was complete; not after the usual drain that starts happening almost immediately when the charge is done. This is what I do before road trips. Standard is now around 235@93%, as opposed to 242 before.

I actually did a range charge today, so I was comparing that. It only went to 258@100%, where before it went to 273. In both cases, I'm using data from the second the charge was complete; not after the usual drain that starts happening almost immediately when the charge is done. This is what I do before road trips. Standard is now around 235@93%, as opposed to 242 before.

I think I saw >270 range charge when I picked it up at the factory. I did my first range charge since then after two months and 1500 miles and got 265. Since 265 is what you are supposed to get, I'm pretty sure they will only look at degradation from that point. That would be 2.6% degradation, which would be normal for that mileage. I think the batteries have a little extra charge that goes away very quickly when new.

I totally agree! Tesla gives very CLEAR AND SPECIFIC instructions (better than they give on a lot of issues and subjects) that range charging will effect battery life, and if you think that with the way this car is instrumented, Tesla will not know what you are doing, you are not very bright! Neither Tesla nor any other responsible company would show you any "flexibility" regarding warranty interpretation, when you have blatantly and consistently NOT FOLLOWED well documented instructions. I thought Tesla owners, generally, were a lot smarter than this! That's, also, the diplomatic and understated version of my opinion, by the way.:biggrin: