TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Range Charge Daily due to New Warranty announcement?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by chicagotsla, Apr 26, 2013.

1. chicagotsla

chicagotsla Member

2. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

The battery warranty only covers failure, not degradation (it does cover unusually high degradation). So, no.

3. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Has Tesla ever defined what they consider to be "unusually high degradation"?

4. aviators99

Nope

5. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

I think that's part of the issue here. The difference between abnormal and normal degradation would need to be defined to allow a claim in such a case.

6. aviators99

I'll find out next week (if I still do the annual service next week). My battery range has decreased 15 miles (rated)

7. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Range-charging and abusing the battery on a regular basis simply because one believes that the costs of such abuse will come out of Tesla's pocket instead of one's own is morally and ethically repugnant.

That's the diplomatic and understated version of my opinion, by the way. :wink:

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm very interesting in hearing what you're willing to share after you have that discussion with Tesla.

9. hvb

hvb Member

Completely agree. It's a good way to waste resources and put Tesla out of business.

10. Red40

Red40 Member

+1!

11. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

I wouldn't range charge every night. But it will tweak my internal formula for when I consider doing a range charge. I.e. I will range charge now when I am certain I'll need it now. Go forward, I might range charge if I think there's a good possibility I will need it.

Implicit in this announcement IMO is a confidence that Tesla has in their battery to withstand more misuse than they planned or were willing to let on...

12. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

How long have you had your car and how many miles? How often have you range charged?

13. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

This.
    Doing something like this is pretty chicken ****, and really shows you have absolutely no integrity.

14. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

It won't tweak my actions: I've always been willing to range-charge if there was "a good chance" that I might need it on a given day. I've believed those more expert than I when they say that range charging every so often will do no harm, especially if you don't let the battery sit for hours or days at 100% SOC. And I'm also more willing to pay the price for battery degradation than I am to suffer the humiliation and inconvenience of running out of energy.

But what the new warranty announcement will do in my case is exactly what they intended: it will eliminate any trace of anxiety I might have harbored about whether or not I was even minimally harming the battery by range charging. As you note, it shows that Tesla is very confident in their product, and that helps me feel better about it too.

15. aviators99

I've had the car since 12/4. I have between 12,500 and 13,000 miles. I have only range charged 4 or 5 times, for road trips.

16. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

So you start out in the morning with about 222-225 now on a normal charge?

17. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Not to take this off-topic, but you're saying your rated only goes to 227-228 on a standard charge?

18. aviators99

I actually did a range charge today, so I was comparing that. It only went to [email protected]%, where before it went to 273. In both cases, I'm using data from the second the charge was complete; not after the usual drain that starts happening almost immediately when the charge is done. This is what I do before road trips. Standard is now around [email protected]%, as opposed to 242 before.

19. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I think I saw >270 range charge when I picked it up at the factory. I did my first range charge since then after two months and 1500 miles and got 265. Since 265 is what you are supposed to get, I'm pretty sure they will only look at degradation from that point. That would be 2.6% degradation, which would be normal for that mileage. I think the batteries have a little extra charge that goes away very quickly when new.

20. Frankrb

Frankrb Member

I totally agree! Tesla gives very CLEAR AND SPECIFIC instructions (better than they give on a lot of issues and subjects) that range charging will effect battery life, and if you think that with the way this car is instrumented, Tesla will not know what you are doing, you are not very bright! Neither Tesla nor any other responsible company would show you any "flexibility" regarding warranty interpretation, when you have blatantly and consistently NOT FOLLOWED well documented instructions. I thought Tesla owners, generally, were a lot smarter than this! That's, also, the diplomatic and understated version of my opinion, by the way.:biggrin: