Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Charge Daily due to New Warranty announcement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there is significant degradation (>10-15%) over 4 years.
Capacity loss of 10-15% after 4 years is not out of normal range. In fact, I would pretty much count on seeing nearly that much capacity loss over 4 years looking at the Roadster data:
Roadster Owner Based Study of Battery Pack Capacity Over Time

I'm curious to know - has there every been a a failure of the battery on the MS or Roadster?
Elon said on the call that there hasn't been any Model S battery failures, but entire packs have been replaced for other issues in the pack (he said contactors or similar) It has been well known that Roadsters have had "sheets" replaced. I'm sure that entire packs have been replaced as it's probably faster/easier to replace the entire pack and then refurbish the old pack for use in another vehicle.

I'm curious to know - has there every been a a failure of the battery on the MS or Roadster?
I think we might considering the bricking drama a few months ago as a "yes" for the Roadster.

A followup question: Has there ever been a "normal usage" battery failure on a Roadster (or an S) that wasn't replaced by Tesla for little to no cost?

Last edited:
Has there every been a "normal usage" battery failure on a Roadster (or an S) that wasn't replaced by Tesla for little to no cost?

double negative?? what's the question? lol :p Has there ever been a battery failure that was replaced for cost?

According to this page, http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/119799-could-a-bricked-tesla-battery-cost-you-40000 , talks about this report http://theunderstatement.com/post/18030062041/its-a-brick-tesla-motors-devastating-design which claims that for the entire fleet of 2200 roadster, only 5 have had full battery depletion. "Of the approximately 2,200 Roadsters sold to date, a regional service manager for Tesla stated he was personally aware of at least five cases of Tesla Roadsters being “bricked” due to battery depletion." also "A service manager then informed him that “it’s a brick” and that the battery would cost approximately $40,000 to replace. He was further told that this was a special “friends and family” price, strongly implying that Tesla generally charges more."

also http://jalopnik.com/5887499/who-is-trying-to-smear-the-tesla-battery-problem-whistleblower and http://jalopnik.com/5887265/tesla-motors-devastating-design-problem .

my take: sounds like a relatively very small amount of roadsters had this bricking issue, and the Model S is different battery tech anyway and I'd bet probably has so many safeguards in place that it'd be practically impossible to brick it. personally, I wouldn't worry about it, because bricking is covered under warranty for the Model S, even if you're a dumb owner and leave it unplugged for 2 years :)

Agree. And won't Tesla know about this kind of deliberate abuse via the logs? That would be a clear basis for denial of coverage.
I agree it would be clearly evident from the logs. But my read of the announcement yesterday is that this wouldnt disqualify coverage. Of course, the question is still what is considered normal vs. abnormal. But if abnormal degradation occurred due to range charging everyday, my understanding is it would still be covered.

I said "little to no cost" not "little or at cost". "Little to no cost" means "small numbers".

- - - Updated - - -

what's the question?
My understanding is that the 5 bricking cases involved leaving the car unattended (and perhaps sheltered) with no incoming wall power for extended periods. That's not normal usage. Neither is a vehicle collision that rips the battery into cells.

Given that context, I'll repeat it:
Has there ever been a "normal usage" battery failure on a Roadster (or an S) that wasn't replaced by Tesla for < $1000?

With respect to "normal" degradation, this forum will surely provide that information without any input from Tesla. Aviators is the first I have seen to post a "xyz" reduction in rated range after "ABC" time/miles. A thread will appear for just those posts followed by a degradation profile listing all data points. Normal will simply develop in front of our eyes like a Polaroid (oops, just showed my age :) )

The warranty like the previous one will likely only cover defects and not capacity (will have to see the actual warranty first). The "abnormal" degradation probably refers to defects that will cause degradation in select modules (rather than all modules degrading gradually). Tesla previously have replace sheets for Roadsters for the same reason.

Just confirming, this is a range charge that was ~270 miles when new?

Absolutely not. My car has 16K miles on it. It is 7 months old. It charged to 270 *ideal* miles or 235 *EPA* miles when new, and now, the same. The difference is what you display for miles of range. A Range charge is over 300 *ideal* miles or over 265 *EPA* miles. Mine has not dropped noticeably yet.

FYI I started using the scheduled charging so that my charging completes right before I leave in the morning. Not because of lower rates (they don't have those in my area, its a flat rate at all times and all seasons), but instead to "keep the charge level around 50%" as long as possible instead of charging full and leaving it sit full all night long. According to lots of research , that should really help extend the life of the battery. Anywho, when it completed this morning it was probably like 10 minutes before I left and I was showing 246 miles range. I didn't know the standard charge was that high. I have 4200 miles now. I always though max standard was 242 or 243.

image.jpg

FYI I started using the scheduled charging so that my charging completes right before I leave in the morning. Not because of lower rates (they don't have those in my area, its a flat rate at all times and all seasons), but instead to "keep the charge level around 50%" as long as possible instead of charging full and leaving it sit full all night long. According to lots of research , that should really help extend the life of the battery. Anywho, when it completed this morning it was probably like 10 minutes before I left and I was showing 246 miles range. I didn't know the standard charge was that high. I have 4200 miles now. I always though max standard was 242 or 243.
I have seen 245 once on 4.2 firmware.