Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

range charge indication anomaly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Carl W

2008, #311 thunder gray 1.5
Oct 18, 2016
laguna beach, ca
I rarely range charge my 1.5 but a couple of days ago I range charged it and just before it was done, the range said 214 and the percentage bar was completely colored green indicating 100% charged. I went out to drive it about 30 minutes after it finished, and the miles showed 197, and the charge bar was just over 90% (maybe 92?). Is this normal? It's as if it charged 100% but then only showed access to just over 90%. Note, my car has about 55,000 miles on it and I drive it daily.

One more completely unrelated question: I wanted to convert the old style IPOD adapter to the latest style and bought a small adapter, but when I installed it, it doesn't work. Any thoughts on this? If it's just a defective adapter, I'll buy another...

Thanks!

Reactions: AtAge19
Not normal, UNLESS you looked at ideal miles, and then later looked standard miles. Or you have a sheet starting to go bad. I hope it is the first.

As for the IPOD adapter, I use an adapter and it works BUT I seem to have to start and stop a time or two. It often does not recognize my iPhone on the first attempt. So plug in a second time, or switch to FM and back to iPhone.

I rarely range charge my 1.5 but a couple of days ago I range charged it and just before it was done, the range said 214 and the percentage bar was completely colored green indicating 100% charged. I went out to drive it about 30 minutes after it finished, and the miles showed 197, and the charge bar was just over 90% (maybe 92?). Is this normal? It's as if it charged 100% but then only showed access to just over 90%. Note, my car has about 55,000 miles on it and I drive it daily.
This is normal. You can't trust the result right at the end of charging because balancing happens after that. The true value is what you saw later.

One more completely unrelated question: I wanted to convert the old style IPOD adapter to the latest style and bought a small adapter, but when I installed it, it doesn't work. Any thoughts on this? If it's just a defective adapter, I'll buy another...
I assume the adapter you are talking about is from the 30-pin iPod connector to the current iPhone connector (AKA Lightning). In what way did it not work? If the problem you observed was that the phone did not charge, then the answer is that you need an additional level of adaptation. The older connector supplies 12V ("FireWire") charging. The new phone expects 5V ("USB") charging. To solve this problem in my car I use the CableJive dockStubz+ which has a female 30-pin connector on one end and a male 30-pin connector on the other. It goes between the car's 30-pin connector and the adapter you bought.

My "Apple" 30-pin to Lightning works well with my iPhone X, but does not charge. I tried an aftermarket 30-pin to Lightning adapter and it does not work at all. I also tried my old iPhone 3 (circa 2010), and it works and charges -- just trying to remember how to navigate on that antique device.

This is normal. You can't trust the result right at the end of charging because balancing happens after that. The true value is what you saw later.

I assume the adapter you are talking about is from the 30-pin iPod connector to the current iPhone connector (AKA Lightning). In what way did it not work? If the problem you observed was that the phone did not charge, then the answer is that you need an additional level of adaptation. The older connector supplies 12V ("FireWire") charging. The new phone expects 5V ("USB") charging. To solve this problem in my car I use the CableJive dockStubz+ which has a female 30-pin connector on one end and a male 30-pin connector on the other. It goes between the car's 30-pin connector and the adapter you bought.
Thanks for the advice all. Normally, if you range charge, what percentage does the green charge bar usually show after it finishes charging? Mine seemed to show 100% just before being done charging (and 214 miles), but shortly later showed more like 92% and 197 miles. It so happens at 92% of 214 is 197. It's not as if it was 100% at 197, so I don't think it just settled back to 197. It's more like it only gives me access to 92% (which perhaps is normal). Am I making sense? Next time I'll take pictures.

The adapter that I bought was the following 30 pin to 8 pin:

Red Gem 30 pin to 8 pin Charge & Sync Adapter Converter Compatible with iPhone 5, iPad, iPad Mini, iPod Touch, iPod (White)

Sold by: F-Red G

It just didn't seem to do anything at all. No connection and no charging. I can live without the charging but want to play music from my phone. The CableJive adapter seems strange to go basically from a 30 pin to a 30 pin, but if this would solve my problem (then using my 30 pin to 8 pin), I'm willing to try!

Red Gem 30 pin to 8 pin Charge & Sync Adapter Converter Compatible with iPhone 5, iPad, iPad Mini, iPod Touch, iPod (White)

It just didn't seem to do anything at all. No connection and no charging. I can live without the charging but want to play music from my phone. The CableJive adapter seems strange to go basically from a 30 pin to a 30 pin, but if this would solve my problem (then using my 30 pin to 8 pin), I'm willing to try!
The "Apple" adapter works for music, etc. but not for charging. A generic adapter doesn't work for either. However, I did just order the Cable Jive dock so I can also charge the iPhone.

Thanks for the advice all. Normally, if you range charge, what percentage does the green charge bar usually show after it finishes charging? Mine seemed to show 100% just before being done charging (and 214 miles), but shortly later showed more like 92% and 197 miles. It so happens at 92% of 214 is 197. It's not as if it was 100% at 197, so I don't think it just settled back to 197. It's more like it only gives me access to 92% (which perhaps is normal). Am I making sense? Next time I'll take pictures.
It is true you will likely lose range as the pack balances. But if as you said you went from 214 to 197 in 30 minutes that is MUCH faster balancing than I have ever seen. Dropping from 214 to 210 is more of what I would expect after 30 minutes.

Normally, if you range charge, what percentage does the green charge bar usually show after it finishes charging? Mine seemed to show 100% just before being done charging (and 214 miles), but shortly later showed more like 92% and 197 miles. It so happens at 92% of 214 is 197. It's not as if it was 100% at 197, so I don't think it just settled back to 197. It's more like it only gives me access to 92% (which perhaps is normal). Am I making sense? Next time I'll take pictures.
I looked back at my last group of range mode charges on a road trip just before I got the 3.0 battery upgrade. After the charges were finished the battery display ranged between 91% to 95% and with ideal mileage varying from 206 to 214. One factor in the variance was probably the amount of time between when charging finished and when I went to the car to record the results. As I recall, even from new the charge never stayed at 100%.

• Informative

Amazon says that link is no longer valid. But searching for 30-pin to 8-pin adapters, I see some that state "no audio support". I guess the answer is to buy the genuine Apple adapter. That's what I have in my car.

Apologies for reviving am old thread - but is it possible that the 214 miles were in range mode (because the car was still in range mode from the charge) and the 197 are in standard mode (because the car reverts to standard mode when you turn it on)?