Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Charge Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I did my second range charge. The drive went great. We drove 237 miles round trip with 11 to spare. We had the A/C on the entire way and averaged 70 MPH. I was very pleased. The only issue is when I woke up and added the range (to an already charged car) it would not go past 261 rated miles. It kept saying 1 minute left to charge for about 20 minutes. We left with the 261 rated. Also (and maybe it's supposed to work this way) but the amp was only at 8/40 while it was trying to top off. It started much higher of course (39/40). Is it supposed to do that at the end of a charge? Should I be concerned that is never ended the range charge and stopped at 1 minute remaining? Finally, is 261 rated ok? I was getting 239/241 standard and now it's 238 regularly. My first range charge was 264. I have about 9400 miles. Thanks.

Yes, the current rolls off near the end of the charge. This is normal, and one of the reasons Tesla advises using Range Mode sparingly-- in addition to decreasing battery life, it is not time-efficient.

The never-ending last minute is probably a function of error in the estimation algorithm. It is very hard to estimate SOC exactly, and even harder to estimate time remaining to charge. This is why they never got around to implementing it on the Roadster.

As for the apparent reduction in your "full" range, at almost 10K miles, you might be seeing a tiny (~1%) real drop, or it may be just balancing fluctuations. I have seen the "full" rating of my Roadster bounce up and down a bit over 3 years.

Well this morning's standard charge has me down to 237 rated. I hope that it does not keep going down. I drive this car very hard. I routinely drive 200 miles in a day and hope I can still do that for 100,000 miles. I am at 9400 now. 100,000 miles is 3 years for me.

My car is only a couple of months old, less than 1,500 miles. It is plugged in and sitting at 235 rated standard. If I would restart the charge (go to range, then back to standard), I'm quite sure it will go to 240/241. Will your's?

I did a full range charge yesterday. Last night I switched to standard. I ended up at 237. Based on another thread, I don't think this is a concern.