TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Range charge, no regen question

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by PhilBa, Jul 15, 2013.

1. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

My driveway is fair long and downhill. I did a full range charge, started down the driveway and got no regen. While I expected this, it was still a bit unnerving. Not dangerous but something to be aware of.

Anyway, the wattometer (or what everit's called) had a dashed line on it while there was no regen. See the picture. What is the significance of this? Does it indicate the amount of regen I can do? It went away pretty quickly and I didn't really have time to experiment with it.
    regen.jpg

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You had limited, not no regen. The dashed line indicates the maximum regen it will do under the current conditions. (That's assuming you're moving fast enough to get full regen power.)

Seeing this dotted is a daily occurrence in the winter (if you have one), as low battery pack temperatures also limit regen.

In practice the dotted line shows a higher regen current than you can actually achieve. I don't know if that's by design but I would love it if they would adjust the dotted line position so it was actually accurate.

3. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Yes, normal when the batt is fully charged (and unnerving... so are ICE cars after you get used to driving the S).
    Btw, it is not recommended to start off every day with a fully charged battery, if you're not consuming most of it that is. I.e. only use range charging for trips that actually require it. The less time your battery is at or near full, the longer it will last.

4. GlennAlanBerry

Yes, it is a little strange to drive an ICE car after getting used the standard regen in the Model S...

5. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

I've seen that following a range charge too. I assume regen is limited because the battery is full and there's no capacity for energy captured by regen. Right?

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Correct.

7. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Had to drive my truck today while my MS60 is getting tint and bumper wrap. Almost crashed it right out of my driveway, as it did not slow down when taking foot off the accelerator. On the other hand, my truck was very happy to go for a short ride today to work. Ran rough as heck then smoothed out. It has been sitting for a month. Yes, I still need to keep it to do my towing.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Merging might be a little premature, but providing a link to the prior threads is probably a good idea. I don't have them handy but I may search for them later.

9. HHHH

HHHH Member

Those previous thread links are really helpful, along with the recommended links at the bottom.