Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range concerns on 2017 200D I bought a week ago

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

So I'm sitting here while my Tesla drip charges from a 110V wall outlet.....through the kitchen window (all I have for now at my home)

IMG_8270.JPG

Ive been reliant on Superchargers since I got the car about a week ago... maybe 4 charges so far

Today after I supercharged at Rockford, IL to 51%

119 miles to my home, I got back on the highway,

set it to cruise at 75mph and started getting warnings within 10 minutes. (you must drive under 70mph to make it to your destination) ...I felt this was a bit pre-mature...

Those eventually went away even though I kept it at 75-80mph.....

I arrived home with around 8% battery remaining at 8:10AM . Maybe 65 degrees F out.

At 1:50pm I got in, it took maybe 30 seconds for the dash and big screen to turn on.....showed 0%

I drove 3 miles roundtrip, the whole while it warning me 'charge immediately to avoid battery damage or car not restarting'

Been charging for 4.5 hours now and shows 1%.

IMG_8272.JPG

I contacted my Used Delivery Rep and waiting to hear back ab this.
The remote service team she contacted about this issue said they see 6.6%+ non their end.....

First time I supercharged at a 120kw station, left it for 2 hours...got to around 96% charge. I ran it down to 0% before my next charge and it showed that I had used 65kwh since my last charge and maybe 198 miles.... I thought this was pretty low. I mean during that charge I had been flooring it and accelerating hard bc it was my first time really driving the car for fun, but I drove most of the while in a reasonable way..... I can' understand how I only used 65 kWh since being at 96% charge.

I can't help but feel that the range of this car is below what I expected.

What are your thoughts?

-Michael

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
You charged to 51% and then drove 119 miles. I am surprised you made it home.

When you drain so low your initial start up charging will be slow.

You should not drive to such a low state of charge. 1% wow!

I think once you get used to the idea that you need a faster charger at home and plan better you will be fine.

There are a few things to learn about battery powered cars that you will figure out. Cold weather driving, etc.

I don’t see anything wrong.

Martin,

Thank you for the reassurance.

Its a steep learning curve with the Tesla....

I have a regular round-trip I make to Chicago, which is 180miles each way..... there is a charger about 120 miles into the trip, and 170 miles into the trip.....

I guess I'll figure it out trial by error what is the best 'charge sequence' in terms of

1. what % to leave the house with. (I want to do 100%, should I let myself be dissuaded by the posts I see on there recommending only charging to max of 80 or 90%?)
2. Which charger to stop at and how long to supercharge (both are only add 8 minutes drive time to the trip)
3. Do I make 2 supercharges per round trip or just one?
4. maybe at some point I'll have a destination charger available at one of my family's houses there, but right now, when I visit family there is no charge possibility.

Glad to hear my range is within the normal bounds....

Michael

Martin,
Thank you for the reassurance.
Its a steep learning curve with the Tesla....
I have a regular round-trip I make to Chicago, which is 180miles each way..... there is a charger about 120 miles into the trip, and 170 miles into the trip.....
I guess I'll figure it out trial by error what is the best 'charge sequence' in terms of
1. what % to leave the house with. (I want to do 100%, should I let myself be dissuaded by the posts I see on there recommending only charging to max of 80 or 90%?)
2. Which charger to stop at and how long to supercharge (both are only add 8 minutes drive time to the trip)
3. Do I make 2 supercharges per round trip or just one?
4. maybe at some point I'll have a destination charger available at one of my family's houses there, but right now, when I visit family there is no charge possibility.
Glad to hear my range is within the normal bounds.... Michael
When I go on trips I charge to 90% and then in the morning an hour or 45 minutes before I go I start charging again (30 amps on NEMA 14-50).

You can just tell the car your ending destination and it will map the route and how long to stop at each. You get enough to go to the next stop plus 10-15% buffer.
Play with A Better Routeplanner to plan on your web browser.

Pro Tip: 1) User your energy screen and the consumption tab. See the projected range on the right for 30 miles. ie. your range based on driving conditions. 2) Compare that to what you nav range is.

When I go on trips I charge to 90% and then in the morning an hour or 45 minutes before I go I start charging again (30 amps on NEMA 14-50).

You can just tell the car your ending destination and it will map the route and how long to stop at each. You get enough to go to the next stop plus 10-15% buffer.
Play with A Better Routeplanner to plan on your web browser.

Pro Tip: 1) User your energy screen and the consumption tab. See the projected range on the right for 30 miles. ie. your range based on driving conditions. 2) Compare that to what you nav range is.

Thank you!

I tried a Better Routeplanner.... It has the most beautiful map interface I've ever seen in a Maps Tool

It showed my trip from Madison to Breckenridge will take about 19 hours 30 minutes, compared with the 16 hour 30 minutes that my Tesla route planner shows.... has like 3 more supercharging stops.

I really hope that because I called Tesla about my concerns with the range that they don't cap my supercharging speed

Michael

Reactions: scottf200
First, maybe a typo but, there is no such thing as a 200D (at least not yet)... '-) I suggest you correct that, to avoid misunderstanding.

Second, in normal course of use, avoid the top and bottom 10% of your battery capacity for optimal pack health. Don't make a habit of charging to 100% or running the pack flat. There is no dependable range below 0% SOC (i.e., zero means zero) but the BMS range indication is simply a best-estimate (never take it as anything else)... If you see a power limit, then know that you're approaching a shutdown (if nearing 100kW, then get ready)... Also, try to get in the habit of charging your pack back up, at least to mid-charge, upon arrival. Don't let the pack sit around at low state of charge (SOC)... If you routinely see long commute times, you should set your daily recharge SOC to 90%.

If the car's battery mgmt system (BMS) tells you to moderate speed to reach your destination, it does so to protect the battery pack and to keep you from getting stranded and needing a tow (flat bed). Yes, you will find it to be pessimistic... Keep that in mind, but don't completely ignore its protestations either.

Tesla doesn't take action to 'cap your supercharging speed', that is automatic. If you use Superchargers exclusively, then at some future point your pack (via BMS) will see permanent limitation. It's not a punishment - it's a move to stave off undue pack degradation... Since your X was purchased with a previous history to the pack, it's hard to know how much DC charging the pack has already seen. I recommend getting AC charge ability installed ASAP.

Last, your "A Better Routeplanner" (ABRP) trip from Madison to Breckenridge compared to the Tesla Trip Planner (Beta) makes no sense. Either the route itself was substantially different and/or, the base assumptions (settings) were... Anyway, I suggest you use ABRP for pre-trip planning (with correct settings), and then let the car's nav guide you between origin, charging points and destination.

Enjoy.

Reactions: r0xx0r