TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Range data from removing Aero Wheel Covers

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Ferdball, Apr 19, 2018.

1. cizUK

cizUK Member

And another two with 19" and 20" wheels

• Helpful x 1
  2. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

drafting on the highway is also a big deal, particularly if you're already at high speeds and tailing a car with large cross-sectional area.

Rather than try to eliminate all variables, which is quite hard when you're also just on your commute, it makes sense, as the OP said, to just get a ton of measurements and average them out. A bunch with the covers, and a bunch without. And try to keep the major variables as consistent as possible - speed, hvac temp, etc.

3. amitmishra4

amitmishra4 Member

Here is something I came across on YouTube from a user(Prolifk) that did exactly that minus multiple repetitions:

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush 2020: Drain the Sewer

That one trip without the rims is too subject to variation. If you have additional opportunity to drive without rims please let us know your findings.

5. Randy Spencer

Randy Spencer Active Member

Certainly, it means that if you like the look of your car with the Aeros off, put them in your garage and when you are full charging to start a road trip, put them back on for the duration. Wonder if it helps keep crud out of the wheels.

-Randy

• Like x 1
  6. SageBrush

That is my intent exactly, unless I can paint them in a way I like.

• Like x 1
  7. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

Paint them silver, like this guy:

That's the color they should have been in the first place. The dirty dark grey only matches ONE of the body colors. I'm sure that's intentional in order to make people pay more for the sport wheels which are silver and match all paint colors.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  8. SageBrush

Better ... yes, but now they look like cheap hubcaps to me.

I'm thinking more along these lines

[​IMG]

Flat, but look 3-D

9. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

Also, don't stop and eat a couple Big Macs in-between runs either. The 10 pounds you just gained will decrease efficiency :D

• Funny x 3
  10. drawfour

drawfour Member

Sure, but he's got that on a silver car. I'd like to see how that silver paint looks on other colors (specifically red)...

11. David99

David99 Active Member

A while ago I experimented with aero disks on my Model S. I saw an 8% difference at 75 mph. The disks were covering the entire rim and were as aerodynamic as it gets. I'm also not the first who has done side by side tests with aero wheels. They all are well below 10%. I doubt the M 3 aero covers make 17% difference.

• Informative x 1
  12. AMIYY4YOU

AMIYY4YOU Member

Nonono you're all doing it wrong.. This is how you want to mod your aero wheels

Attached Files:

• Like x 5
    • Love x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  13. SageBrush

#33 SageBrush, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    That is what I could be talking about !

Is that your work ?

14. Austindude

Austindude Member

AMIYY4YOU what you have done to those Aero wheels is incredible! That also makes me think we need some kind of contest involving painting the wheels. Let the artistic fun begin!

• Like x 1
  15. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Is that an actual photo or a great photoshop job?

16. AMIYY4YOU

AMIYY4YOU Member

Just a photo shop job from a thread I created if you dig in my profile. I'm taking delivery in a few days so this is the first mod I plan to do and I will create a thread to share the actual results with everyone

• Like x 4
  17. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

These comparisons are interesting, as they are comparing the stock aero with the stock wheels, aero removed.

The stock wheels with the aero removed have no aero considerations, so might do poorly.

Another option is to compare aero covers with other Tesla aero designed wheels. Might be less differences.

18. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

It's very good photoshop work. It is also the FIRST image of the aero covers that I don't wince at, so maybe there is potential. I look forward to your thread!

19. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Active Member

I agree that 17% sounds too high, but the 18" wheels look to have pretty bad aero drag without the covers. I wouldn't be surprised to see a ~10% difference at 75mph with the covers on/off. The surface area of the wheels on the 3 make up a larger portion of the vehicle surface compared to the S, and the wheels on your S are likely more aerodynamic than the 18" alloys without the cover on the 3.

20. Vistan

Vistan Member

Thought you all might want to see what the UN-photoshopped 3 looks like...

Vistan IMG_0175.jpg

• Like x 3