TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Range Decision

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by W0QR, Oct 29, 2015.

1. W0QR

W0QR Member

Anybody ever tried driving from Denver SC to Grand Lake, Co? Only about 120 miles..but mountains.
    What do you think?

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

Never tried it, but it's similar to elevation changes in CA mountains. Looks like a 3000' rise, so you would want to allow 30 more miles of travel or 150 miles of range needed. Then you want buffer of maybe 50 miles. I would guess an 85 could, would make it with no problem. Looks like the speed is OK. Here in CA, people think they need to go over the pass (6000 foot rise) at 75 mph, but luckily it's only about 40 miles and downhill on the other side.

I wouldn't go without a full battery. Or 95% on a 90D. Until you've done it and know how much it takes, take it easy.

I'm assuming, of course, there's a charger in Grand Lake.

And coming back would be a piece of cake.

3. David Kent

David Kent Member

No prob! Worry not!

4. brec

brec Member

According to evtripplanner.com, which takes account of the elevation change, the trip would use about 42 kWh or 140 mi. of rated range.

5. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Very doable. I use a 25% buffer for those situation and I am fine. I have to drive mountains everyday since I live in them! Of course, my lead foot doesn't help the range much...