Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Decrease Following Update to 2022.4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received software update 2022.4.5 on 2/12. Per TeslaFi, the estimated range of my MYLR has dropped about 7 miles following that update.

Yes, I recognize that it's only been a few days, and that other factors might be at play, but it's something that is visible to me when I look at the chart below. Prior to the update, the estimated range was ~318 miles and the last few days it has been at ~311 miles. I have made no changes to my daily driving habits, and the weather in my area (Pennsylvania) has actually improved over the past few days as compared to what we've seen prior weeks.

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 10.30.14 PM.png

Anyone else seeing similar range degradation following this update? With the update, are there features associated with the update that I might want to review and adjust that could impact the range in a positive direction?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

No change in range for my MYP...

What wheels do you have? I wonder if the software may now be taking into account what wheel and tire package you have specified since they now list different ranges based on your wheel and tire selection. In the configuration page it says 330 miles of range for 19" Gemini, 318 miles of range for 20" Inductions in the 5 seater, with slightly less for the 7 seater (326 and 314).

Keith

What wheels do you have? I wonder if the software may now be taking into account what wheel and tire package you have specified since they now list different ranges based on your wheel and tire selection. In the configuration page it says 330 miles of range for 19" Gemini, 318 miles of range for 20" Inductions in the 5 seater, with slightly less for the 7 seater (326 and 314).

Keith

I have 19" Geminis.

Keith
Original equipment on my MYLR were the 20 inch induction. I swapped them out at 6,100 miles for 19 inch Gemini wheels/tires as winter approached and I wanted to have a decent set of tires for winter driving. So on my chart, you would be able to see that they really had little effect on the blue line and it happened a couple of months ago. I did re-program the car for 19 inch wheels and did the requisite re-boot at the time of the swap.

View attachment 770786

Yes. I noticed a similar drop as well. It coincided with upgrading to 2202.4.5 and taking a 650 mile road trip right after. Don't know if the drop is "real" or a computational change of some sort.
my comment on your results is actually a question... how have you been able to keep your range in the 320's for the first 10K miles? Mine dropped into the 310's at 2K and had been steady since until this week.

@7800 miles I just actually charged to 100% for the first time, to drive across the state. Showed 329 range. App was guessing 326 when new.

I charge every night to 75% +/- 5% at 32A. Been pretty cold all winter, highs in the 20's on average. Precondition every day before driving.

Maybe 5 or 6 round trips across the state, usually start at 90%.

Reluctantly updating to 2022.4.5 this weekend, from v10, I'll look for any difference in range calcs.

For me these are just numbers, my STATS app says my range at 16K miles is 292 miles, new my best was 312. But I doubt I could get 250 from my LR AWD Y at freeway speeds under ideal conditions. In fact we are on a road trip and drove though that RAIN storm in the mid west (IL to MD) and I doubt I could have gone 200 miles on a full charge.

So from my perspective it’s an ESTIMATE (lab results) nothing more until you start driving in the real world. But I guess if I drove 50 mph in perfect weather I could get my 316 EPA miles.

my comment on your results is actually a question... how have you been able to keep your range in the 320's for the first 10K miles? Mine dropped into the 310's at 2K and had been steady since until this week.

Honestly, I don't know. I can describe my charging habits but they are not unusual. Over half of those 10,000 miles are road trips with suprcharging to 80 or 90%. The rest of the miles are mostly 50 mile round trip commutes with daily charging to 75% originally and 70% lately. The lowest discharge was to 18%. The range level stayed rather constant until the car reached 10,000 and received 2022.4.5. I think it is probably just random luck that the range stayed in the 320's so long.

Honestly, I don't know. I can describe my charging habits but they are not unusual. Over half of those 10,000 miles are road trips with suprcharging to 80 or 90%. The rest of the miles are mostly 50 mile round trip commutes with daily charging to 75% originally and 70% lately. The lowest discharge was to 18%. The range level stayed rather constant until the car reached 10,000 and received 2022.4.5. I think it is probably just random luck that the range stayed in the 320's so long.
Ugh. I now recall that I used a Supercharger last Saturday for the first time since September. I only charged to 85% but needed to do it quicker than at home as I needed to leave for a day-long trip. After seeing your response, I am wondering if the mysterious "recalibration" process might be something that could help me with the estimated range. I have rarely allowed the car to charge above 75% or get below 35% as I just don't do much driving each day. The car is plugged in each night, of course. I am now wondering if I allowed the car to get really low and then fully recharge it once to see if that helps. Is recalibration a real thing?????

I have had a significant dropoff of 6.5% as graphed by Teslafi since that same firmware update and it coincided with that update..it's very disturbing because now (Feb- April 2022) I get 278 miles max range when I was getting 292 at the time of the update. The graphic shows that drop. I just updated to the latest 2022.8.2 a few days ago but we don't drive the car every day since it's our vacation car. It gets use ever other month or so, so I'll be trying to run it down to under 10% once again and recharging to see if the firmware is the culprit..in the meantime I'm bringing it in for service to see what else they can tell me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420-114727_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420-114727_Chrome.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 90