Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Decrease since version 2019.40.50

Has this update decreased your range after a 90% charge?

• Decreased

• Stayed the same

• Increased...?

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SInce this just recent update, my range at 90% charge went from 279 to 262 miles. My car is only 2 weeks old. I've read a comment or two from others experiencing the same, no matter how long they're had the car. Please post if this has happened to you. I'd like to see if this is affecting merely a few or many.

SInce this just recent update, my range at 90% charge went from 279 to 262 miles. My car is only 2 weeks old. I've read a comment or two from others experiencing the same, no matter how long they're had the car. Please post if this has happened to you. I'd like to see if this is affecting merely a few or many.

Mine is exactly like yours. I took delivery 3 days ago and The p3d was 90% and 279 miles. As soon as I took it home I ran the newest update and it's been showing 262 miles at 90% the same evening I picked up the car. I was worried I may have a bad battery but sounds like this is related to the update.

Reactions: Nauman87
Mine is also Performance. For those affected by this, this is genuinely telling us Performance models no longer have a 310 mile range, but a new range of 291 miles. Could this mean we've lost access to 5% of our battery?
It's been stated by a number of people - not all performance models have seen this drop in miles.. mine actually went up a couple of miles. I highly doubt some random models lost access to 5% of the battery. I still have a suspicion this update factors in driving habits to a small degree...

I lost 12 miles. Or did I? Not really sure. Not really worried. For this I feel is just calculations. Though currently my S100D shows less calculated degradation with almost 40 thousand miles more on the odometer.:confused:

The charge after the update is when I got the new #'s

Highest I ever got was 319. Then dropped to 312. Now at 300. Also 60k in miles.

My 2020 M3P Stealth is just over 1 month old with1,360 miles and I'm having the same results. The last few charges max out in the low 260s; when I first got the car it had firmware v9 and was charging up to 279 (90%) so wet took a 15% range hit for 5% performance increase.

Maybe they will release a software update that gives M3P owners the ability to go into LRAWD mode so we can get the higher range when for the work week and switch back to M3P mode on weekends :D

I wonder if the current 75kWh battery pack can be upgraded to the new 100kWh battery pack, that would be a significant boost to range.

It's been stated by a number of people - not all performance models have seen this drop in miles.. mine actually went up a couple of miles. I highly doubt some random models lost access to 5% of the battery. I still have a suspicion this update factors in driving habits to a small degree...
I don't think this factors in driving habits. For one, because when you charge to 100%, it will list the range as listed on Tesla's website for the said trim. Its a set in stone number. But people ending up with the same exact number as me? That seems even more unlikely driving habits are factored in.

I don't think this factors in driving habits. For one, because when you charge to 100%, it will list the range as listed on Tesla's website for the said trim. Its a set in stone number. But people ending up with the same exact number as me? That seems even more unlikely driving habits are factored in.
Just to clarify, your calculated range in miles that is displayed on the top of the screen by the battery logo now shows 262 miles at 90% charge right?
I just got my M3P on 12/26 and updated to 50.1 and am also showing 262 mile range at 90% charge.

This is some software shenanigans. Not lost range or protected battery space. You will get as many miles on the road as any other similar modeled Tesla car. Don’t worry. Software fluctuations tend to fix themselves with future updates. I lost about 15 miles range in LRRWD after a single software update (36. Something) now with the latest update, got most of it back in a chunk

The same thing happened to my car after the first update. I took delivery in December 2019 and lost 20 miles after the update. A technician is coming by my house to make a repair next week and I intend to ask him about this. Will update as I learn new information.

Those that saw a loss in range - this is most likely due to the update now taking tire size in account for range estimations. Check the tire size in your settings. If you change the tire size you can see the range get modified right after.

this isn’t a “range loss”. It is more accurately estimated info your range. 20” tires take more energy to move, so the wh/mile is a bit higher which causes less range.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
. It is more accurately estimated info your range. 20” tires take more energy to move, so the wh/mile is a bit higher which causes less range.

Yes. Specifically this only applies to 2020 vehicles, AWD & Performance. Not sure if it has been confirmed that changing wheel size on a AWD will change the constant (we know they get 322 miles with 18” with 2020.4.1), though we know it will do so on a Performance.