Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range decreases when I charge at home vs other locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Overall, pretty weird. Hopefully it has sorted itself out now.

I confirm, I have a similar experience with the only difference the range hasn't came back up. When actively using the car with superchargers, the range was climbing back to about 290, charging a home and driving about 50 miles a day and I can see 270-280 miles range. I think this can be somehow related to a mid-term driving and charging history.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
. I was just wondering if anyone sees the same type of behavior when charging from their wall charger.

Never seen anything like it, whether I charge at Supercharger or at home, the projected range is always the same (when viewed in the context of the gradual capacity loss from 310 rated miles to the current ~287 rated miles). Been pretty rock solid at 287 miles for months with a dramatically varying charging strategy (Supercharging at 250kW on long road trip, charging at home to low SoC, charging at home to higher SoC, letting it sit for days at a time without charging, etc.)

I thought it might be a fluke, but have I've charged at home a few times since the sudden jump and it is still close to my original range.

Definitely seems very erratic.

I was wondering if there was a possible problem with my home wall charger due to some unknown reason. Nobody seems to think that could be an issue.

Yeah, seems unlikely.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the winter and next summer.

It will. I suspect you haven't seen the last of this. It sounds like you're not the only one, but personally I've never seen anything like this. My rated range has been pretty consistent, and on a downward trend, though it appears to have stopped losing capacity at around 18 months old. Now at 2+ years.

I agree with other comments above that there may be some relationship to the temperatures the car sees. Where does your car sit when it's asleep/charging? Could also be completely unrelated to any such thing, of course!

I guess for more info/background you could give all the gory details of your general charging strategy. But I suspect it will be largely a waste of time to do so, as it'll probably be impossible to come up with anything conclusive for root cause.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
I'm not worried so much about range loss, but the fact that it seems to happen when I charge at home vs a superchargers or destination chargers. Seems weird that I see an immediate drop in range when I charge from home. My car usually sits for 3+ hours before I charge from home and 6+ hours after charging, which based on documentation is more than enough for the BMS to do its job. I was just wondering if anyone sees the same type of behavior when charging from their wall charger.
Why do you let your car sit before charging? Are you on a TOU plan?

When things don't seem satisfactory, I recommend changing up what you're doing. If home charging results seem odd, change your pattern. I would charge immediately after getting home, while the battery is still warm.

Why do you let your car sit before charging? Are you on a TOU plan?

When things don't seem satisfactory, I recommend changing up what you're doing. If home charging results seem odd, change your pattern. I would charge immediately after getting home, while the battery is still warm.

the car should always sit before charging and Teslas automatically do this with scheduled charging to avoid battery heat.
Imho with <3kw charging this is unlikely to matter though....

How do you charge your car? Read an interesting post the other day. A guy said he was leaving his car connected all the time, like Tesla reportedly recommends. But after talking to a high-up Tesla tech about excessive degradation, turns out it's actually better to charge it to about 90%, and letting it drop to 20 to 30%. There was a technical explanation on how everything works, and it made sense to me, so might do it that way when we get our M3 LR in 1+ weeks. The only question I have on that is if time plays a role too, like for example, charge the car once a week, or when it gets to 30 (or 25%), whichever comes first. Needs to ask that. Does this make sense Alan? You're the resident expert here, so I'd like to hear your opinion. Will look for that thread, to bookmark it, in case one of you asks for it :). Thx.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
How do you charge your car? Read an interesting post the other day. A guy said he was leaving his car connected all the time, like Tesla reportedly recommends. But after talking to a high-up Tesla tech about excessive degradation, turns out it's actually better to charge it to about 90%, and letting it drop to 20 to 30%. There was a technical explanation on how everything works, and it made sense to me, so might do it that way when we get our M3 LR in 1+ weeks. The only question I have on that is if time plays a role too, like for example, charge the car once a week, or when it gets to 30 (or 25%), whichever comes first. Needs to ask that. Does this make sense Alan? You're the resident expert here, so I'd like to hear your opinion. Will look for that thread, to bookmark it, in case one of you asks for it :). Thx.

Sorry, I have no idea how this really works. There is somewhat grounded speculation in the first post on one of the sticky threads.

You're the resident expert here,

I'm really not! I have a very narrow domain where I pay attention and have any knowledge, and I try to limit it to an area where there is a lot of clear public data available (efficiency info). That way there is less guessing.

A bunch of people dive into the details of the cars far more than I do.

Last edited:

I typically charge it to 90% and then use it to run errands around town until it gets below 30% unless I have plans requiring more charge. I park it in a garage that is heated to approximately 50 degrees in the winter. I don't cool the garage in the summer so it can see temps in the 70's and 80's, but since it is below grade on three sides it is usually cooler than the outside air in the summer. If it is going to sit for an extended time I charge it to 90%, leave it plugged in but lower the charge level to 60%, so basically, it doesn't charge but I have protection in case some serious leakage happens. Its phantom drain rate is very low and loses about 3 miles of charge per day when it is sitting. Love the car. Just found the behavior described in the first post as weird and was wondering if anyone experienced similar.

When I do plug it in it is scheduled to charge so it would be ready for me to drive at 7:00 am, which is why it sits between driving and charging. There have been earlier posts describing how it should it sit for a while before charging. Either way, it typically sits for extended periods of time before and after charging with the home Tesla wall charger.

GLM