Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range decreases when I charge at home vs other locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my car almost exactly a year ago and had a Tesla Wall charger installed before I took delivery. Over the last six+ months it seems when I charge at home my range decreases, but if I travel and use superchargers my range is higher. Originally I was charging at 32 AMPS at home and recently changed it to 40 amps and the range seems to be dropping faster. Anyone experience anything like this? I've tried letting the SOC get down to 20%, usually charge somewhere between 80 & 90% and have rarely gone over 90%. Here's the TeslaFi batter report. My last two charges were at home and range dropped. I did a charge at a SuperCharger right before that when the range went up. Due to Covid is sitting quite a bit and only getting short local drives. Has anyone seen anything like this? Could I have power issues at my home causing the problem?
upload_2020-12-1_13-8-36.png

Could I have power issues at my home causing the problem?
No ;)....a lot of threads here about fluctuating range personally I wouldn’t worry too much the BMS manages the battery fine ..TeslaFi is still an estimate at the end of the day ...unless u get some message in the car stating your battery needs service I wouldn’t worry ...you will drive urself crazy trying to understand or “diagnose” range fluctuations ;)

Last edited:
Tried that
I figured it would t ;)...that thread is long list of conjecture and speculation only Tesla BMS software knows the true capacity and range ..personally having three Tesla’s and over 200k miles I wouldn’t worry u have a model 3 with newer battery even my old S’s and my current X are holding fine ...you will drive yourself crazy trying to get your “range” back and even than that will be temporary ..if you really feel your battery is bad take to the service center they will run a diagnosis and most likely tell u ..you are “within specs” ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I figured it would t ;)...that thread is long list of conjecture and speculation only Tesla BMS software knows the true capacity and range ..personally having three Tesla’s and over 200k miles I wouldn’t worry u have a model 3 with newer battery even my old S’s and my current X are holding fine ...you will drive yourself crazy trying to get your “range” back and even than that will be temporary ..if you really feel your battery is bad take to the service center they will run a diagnosis and most likely tell u ..you are “within specs” ;)

I'm not worried so much about range loss, but the fact that it seems to happen when I charge at home vs a superchargers or destination chargers. Seems weird that I see an immediate drop in range when I charge from home. My car usually sits for 3+ hours before I charge from home and 6+ hours after charging, which based on documentation is more than enough for the BMS to do its job. I was just wondering if anyone sees the same type of behavior when charging from their wall charger.

Is it potentially a temperature issue that when you charge at home, the car is sitting in a colder area for a while, vs. having preheated itself and already driven for a while when going to a supercharger? The fact that you recently changed from 32A to 40A charging is probably not a big deal. The fact that winter is arriving in Wisconsin might have a lot more to do with it.

Reactions: pjensen
I have been reading this thread as the OP saying if he charges to 90% using a supercharger...vs charging 90% using wall connector at home his displayed range is different ...yes cold will cause you to lose percentage (range ) but I understood this whole thread to he about AC vs DC charging displayed range ;)...which there should be no difference

Took delivery of my car almost exactly a year ago and had a Tesla Wall charger installed before I took delivery. Over the last six+ months it seems when I charge at home my range decreases, but if I travel and use superchargers my range is higher. Originally I was charging at 32 AMPS at home and recently changed it to 40 amps and the range seems to be dropping faster. Anyone experience anything like this? I've tried letting the SOC get down to 20%, usually charge somewhere between 80 & 90% and have rarely gone over 90%. Here's the TeslaFi batter report. My last two charges were at home and range dropped. I did a charge at a SuperCharger right before that when the range went up. Due to Covid is sitting quite a bit and only getting short local drives. Has anyone seen anything like this? Could I have power issues at my home causing the problem?
View attachment 613498

charging at home usually yields a charge on a cold battery which is a more accurate estimate than the hot estimate at a supercharger.

The hot estimate can be off by a few % and the BMS actually doesnt necessarily bias towards battery preservation as evident by some fleet cars frequently supercharging from 0 to 100% and damaging their battery and getting a replacement. I.e. a supercharge from 0 to 100% may well charge the car from 0 to 103%. overvolting the battery probably doesnt cause many issues when done once in a blue moon but those fleet cars did this every day.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Here's an update. Any thoughts about this sudden change? I thought it might be a fluke, but have I've charged at home a few times since the sudden jump and it is still close to my original range.

BMS re-calibration? I have 19M3LR at about 280 range now, charging at home, and I hope to get some range back when BMS re-calibrates like in your case.

Reactions: Sam1
I'm not worried so much about range loss, but the fact that it seems to happen when I charge at home vs a superchargers or destination chargers. Seems weird that I see an immediate drop in range when I charge from home. My car usually sits for 3+ hours before I charge from home and 6+ hours after charging, which based on documentation is more than enough for the BMS to do its job. I was just wondering if anyone sees the same type of behavior when charging from their wall charger.
But as has been noted again and again the range is just an estimate based on many variables. Its pointless trying to second guess them all.

Here's an update. Any thoughts about this sudden change? I thought it might be a fluke, but have I've charged at home a few times since the sudden jump and it is still close to my original range.

View attachment 619392

Don’t use TeslaFi to extrapolate the range. It is not correct. It uses an API value for your reported range that is strongly affected by temperature. If it’s chilly, and especially if you have the blue snowflake, the guess will be off.

You should be able to use the Tesla app, I think. @KenC can comment more. I live in a warm environment so it’s all theoretical to me.

But it is very clear that TeslaFi and Stats (at least in the past) do not provide good values for 100% extrapolations.

Beyond that, there may well be something else going on - just letting you know the TeslaFi data must be used judiciously if you want to assess your issue.

Last edited:
Don’t use TeslaFi to extrapolate the range. It is not correct. It uses an API value for your reported range that is strongly affected by temperature. If it’s chilly, and especially if you have the blue snowflake, the guess will be off.

You should be able to use the Tesla app, I think. @KenC can comment more. I live in a warm environment so it’s all theoretical to me.

But it is very clear that TeslaFi and Stats (at least in the past) do not provide good values for 100% extrapolations.

Beyond that, there may well be something else going on - just letting you know the TeslaFi data must be used judiciously if you want to assess your issue.

I don't rely on TeslaFi and usually, just monitor in the car, but this is a reasonable graph of what I have been seeing as available miles since last spring. I pretty regularly charged my car to 90%. When I first got the car I would regularly see a 270 mile reported range and it was slowly dropping to a 240+ mile range at a 90% charge. It seemed strange I would see it pop up to a higher number if I happened to go on a trip and use a supercharger. I was wondering if there was a possible problem with my home wall charger due to some unknown reason. Nobody seems to think that could be an issue. Since the original post, the car reports almost a 270 mile range at 90%. Teslafi confirms what I see reported in the car.

In response to other posts, I am quite familiar with the impact of cold weather. The drop I was seeing happened over the summer months when the temperature was in the 70-90 range. This isn't a newly discovered change. When it first started dropping during the colder months I was expecting it to rise over the summer and the opposite happened. Now it is getting cold and the range now goes back up to what I experienced when I first took delivery of the car. It will be interesting to see what happens over the winter and next summer.

Finally, this wasn't an OMG my range is dropping thread. It was a query to see if others experienced similar changes in the expected range based on when and how they charged their car.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life