Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Difference: 19" Wheels on 2022 MX LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I switch to 19" wheels from the 20" factory wheels on '22 Model X LR, what would the change in range be? Right now I get ~347 miles displayed when charged to 100%
Well, I doubt that will change anything, since there are no supported 19-inch options available for the X. The only settings available are 20 and 22. That being said, the range quoted in the display really has nothing to do with how far you can drive. Rather it is simply a tank fullness indicator based upon the "rated" range of the vehicle, which is rarely never achieved in real life. The only way to know the true range is by using the Energy Graph, which of course, Tesla has chosen to remove from the refreshed X (and S I assume).

If you are navigating to a destination you can trust the estimated energy remaining at the destination, or next supercharger. But until Tesla brings back the tool, there is no way to guess at the actual range. Personally what I do (and recommend you do) is set that display to energy %. It is pretty easy to know the tank from zero to 100%. The abbreviated graph should also be available on the far left of the ICD, where nav map is displayed when navigating.

Lack of an energy display is a serious foobar on Tesla.

If I switch to 19" wheels from the 20" factory wheels on '22 Model X LR, what would the change in range be? Right now I get ~347 miles displayed when charged to 100%
There are a lot of factors, not just wheel size. The wheel weight, the wheel aerodynamics and also the tire rolling resistance. You could change your range by just getting a tire with lower rolling resistance which would be the most cost effective way to increase range.

Depends how the algorithm runs, but theoretically, as long as you use a LRR tire, it ought to be better even if the dash doesn't show you an improvement. But you'll have to collect the data yourself and report back. Almost all of the info out there is for people running 19's as winter setups, which doesn't give a great apples-to-apples to the stock 20's for obvious reasons

I doubt many 19's are lower rolling resistance than the stock 20's, but the aero ought to be a little better. Model X's wheels are not particularly aerodynamic - seems they're designed to let heat out during towing - X is the only vehicle in the lineup that has to be able to whoa up close to 12000lb, and also the only one that hasn't gotten aerocovers, and I don't think that's a coincidence

You're aware Model X also has mass, yes? ;)

Sure the trailer brakes, if you have them, do *some* work (mostly to keep the trailer from passing the tow vehicle in a panic stop), and the regen on an EV does 75-100kw ish, but the rest of the k = 1/2mv^2 you need to get rid of goes straight into the tow vehicle's brakes. Let's be generous and say regen and the trailer brakes do *half* of the work. In the case of a 65 mph panic stop towing fully loaded at around 11,500 including passengers and such, that's approximately one metric assload (about 1 megajoule) of heat you still need to get out of the tow vehicle's brakes somehow after one highway panic stop, with limited airflow because you're now going slow, what with having stopped and all, so your heat leaves the brakes through radiation and that means you need speed holes to make the car go slower

Now go down a steep descent on I70 for 15 minutes and tap the brakes every half mile or so, because regen doesn't quite keep the trailer and vehicle speed in check, you need to shed that heat in case you're panic-stopping next time you hit the brakes. That's what I mean.

I think they've left a little margin for brake cooling during towing on Model X that they didn't think they needed to leave on Model S or Model Y, for instance. It'd be nice if they released any information on their design decisions the way legacy OEMs do, but it's always so opaque. Sure would be nice to still be able to order the Cyclones.

Last edited:
You're aware Model X also has mass, yes? ;)

Sure the trailer brakes, if you have them, do *some* work (mostly to keep the trailer from passing the tow vehicle in a panic stop), and the regen on an EV does 75-100kw ish, but the rest of the k = 1/2mv^2 you need to get rid of goes straight into the tow vehicle's brakes. Let's be generous and say regen and the trailer brakes do *half* of the work. In the case of a 65 mph panic stop towing fully loaded at around 11,500 including passengers and such, that's approximately one metric assload (about 1 megajoule) of heat you still need to get out of the tow vehicle's brakes somehow after one highway panic stop, with limited airflow because you're now going slow, what with having stopped and all, so your heat leaves the brakes through radiation and that means you need speed holes to make the car go slower

Now go down a steep descent on I70 for 15 minutes and tap the brakes every half mile or so, because regen doesn't quite keep the trailer and vehicle speed in check, you need to shed that heat in case you're panic-stopping next time you hit the brakes. That's what I mean.

I think they've left a little margin for brake cooling during towing on Model X that they didn't think they needed to leave on Model S or Model Y, for instance. It'd be nice if they released any information on their design decisions the way legacy OEMs do, but it's always so opaque. Sure would be nice to still be able to order the Cyclones.
Quite a reply. I was mistaken in that you referred to total tow vehicle + trailer weight is 12000 lbs. (X around 6500 and trailer is 5000), while I though you meant a trailer weight of 12000.Never thought of brake cooling on the X when fully loaded and tow. I use 19 " Aero covered MS rims on my winters but don't toe then so not worried about cooling. But can see the concern.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Last edited: