TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Range difference of 21" tires vs. 19"

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by bosgig, Nov 27, 2012.

1. bosgig

bosgig Member

Apologies if a conclusion has been reached on this in other threads. Can someone tell me whether there's a definitive answer to the expected difference in actual range between the 21" tires and the 19"? Tesla says the following on their website: "21-inch wheels with low-profile performance tires reduce battery range compared to 19-inch wheels with all season tires". But they don't say by how much! Thanks

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I don't know of any owners that have measured it on their cars.

But Tesla's in-store range-estimator tools changes the numbers by 2 - 2.5% when you switch between 19" and 21" wheels.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It depends on a lot of factors (tire pressure, tread depth differences between the two tires, alignment, road surface, etc.). The 21" with it's stickier compound will maximize any non-optimum settings or conditions. I'd allow 5% as a WAG. The 2.5% on the estimator is probably the best case.

4. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

Wouldn't it be reasonable to deduct that is is all a factor of rolling resistance? E.G. patch contact? If they say 2.5% or 5%, I would guess that would be peanuts to giving it the beans at every stopsign. I would say driving habits would be more of a factor. Having said that, wouldn't those with 21 85-Perf be more likely to drive like an M5?

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

No comment. :)

6. Raven5000

Raven5000 Member

Better than M5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :))

7. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

To be clear, the 21" has worse range than the 19". Higher rolling resistance -> greater energy usage/mile.

8. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

And the increased traction (which equals more friction, which is means less range) of the *tires* on the 21" wheels may be even a greater contributor to range loss. This was also stated directly to me my a Tesla Ownership Experience person.