Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range differences with Pilot Sport All Season 4 or CrossClimate2 vs Primacy MXM4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed and that's my plan, is to go with theses but instead of 235/40R19, I am going to go 245/40R19...a bit softer ride, hopefully the small increase in sidewall doesn't hurt performance.
245/40R19 sounds good. (I assume 19x8.5" OE wheel size.) Will fit just fine and I think the tiny bit of extra width + sidewall + diameter are all good things for this car.

Also I'm running 245/45R18 on my 18x8.5" wheels. 🙂

Edit: A little extra sidewall won't hurt performance! I have more grip and better steering feel now with 245/45R18 than I did with the stock M3P 235/35R20 (a much bigger sidewall increase).

Obviously the extra sidewall itself didn't make anything better besides ride quality + wheel protection, I'm just saying that with good performance tires you will still have good grip and response even with a little extra sidewall.

Last edited:
Reactions: gotoma8
I went from 245wh/mi on my factory tires (40k miles) to 265wh/mi on PS AS4s that have just under 10k on them. This may be impacted by seasonal driving changes due to Covid but I’m happy with the efficiency vs performance trade off. My car is a 2018 dual motor.
@scubastevo80 Thanks for the numbers comparison!

I assume your factory tires were 235/45R18 MXM4? What size PSAS4 did you get?

Attachments

• 0945DDF1-749B-47C6-9A06-BC3C9E11A9B9.jpeg
    0945DDF1-749B-47C6-9A06-BC3C9E11A9B9.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 212
When it comes to differences, comparing this Michelin Primacy vs CrossClimate tires leads to results favoring the latter. We measured aquaplaning resistance and wet traction for wet performance. While the older Primacy MXM4 was still quite decent in rainy weather, the CrossClimate 2 was the better tire, especially at expelling water from its V-shaped grooves.
When traversing through the same road, bumps were less evident on the CrossClimate 2 compared to the Primacy MXM4. However, when it came to noise, both tires did magnificently suppress it.

Just got my 2023 M3 LR AWD with 19" wheels. Tires are Continental Pro Contact Rx. Any thoughts on these from owners? My plan will be to run these until they need replacement. In the meantime, I will grab the Tesla 18" aero winter wheel package and add aero covers. The Pirelli winter tires that come on those seem to perform exceptionally well in just about every category, and I figured going with 18" aeros will help with range when needed the most....cold weather. I figured this would also save significant cost of paying to swap winter/all season tires on the 19's twice a year which can also be hard on the wheels and tires. I can swap back and forth myself and save a couple hundred $/year(after spending $2250 lol). But the value seems decent since it's a $1200 set of winter tires that are mounted and balanced. So for $1,000(above changing to winter tires on 19's), I save $200/year or $1,000/5 years. Best of both worlds i.e optimal fair weather and optimal winter weather.

As far as the Continental Pro Contacts....I have no complaints about them. Road noise seems fine. Wife's Kia Niro EV has MXM4's and the Tesla seems easily as quiet on the highway. Ride is rougher for sure over rough roads but not much sidewall to absorb impact. As expected.