Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range differences with Pilot Sport All Season 4 or CrossClimate2 vs Primacy MXM4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who has replaced the OEM Primacy MXM4 with either the Pilot Sport All Season 4 or CrossClimate2 - how has your range been effected?
Please include your tire size and type of model 3.
I hope this thread will help the community make tire replacement decisions.:)

My car has CrossClimate tires (doesn't say CrossClimate2, so I'm guessing they are different) when I bought it 3 months ago. They look close to new. I can't really speak to efficiency since it's been so cold, but I can say that I seem to be in the normal range of what most people are posting here and the efficiency got way better yesterday and today when it get to mid 50s here.

CrossClimate (EU designed and manufactured) -> CrossClimate+ (EU designed and manufactured) -> CrossClimate2 (US designed and manufactured).

The original CrossClimate was introduced back in March 2015.... manufactured, marketed and sold only in Europe in sizes typical for the market and NOT sold on this side of the pond for a few years.

Eventually made it over to the US and Canada in limited number of sizes.
The trend continued with CrossClimate+ and now, most recently with CC2s.

Michelin just recently (early Feb 2021) expanded the size gamut of CC2s to include ones that work well with Model 3/Y 18s/19s. Many more common size/specs are still lacking.

Year-round, not all-season - Tyrepress

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
2019 Mod3 with 18" wheels. I got 19.6K miles from the original tires. Late last year I replaced them with Pilot Sport All Season 4 which I like. I hope for only a 10% range reduction. So far it looks closer to 15% but:
- I have less than 1.5K miles on the tires so they are still pretty new
- Winter temps and rain are all over the place, so I really don't have a good idea what it is

When I get to 2K miles, I'm going to reset one of my trip meters and take data for the rest of the year. That should give me a decent comparison with the first 19.6K miles which were 266 Wh/mi.

2019 Mod3 with 18" wheels. I got 19.6K miles from the original tires. Late last year I replaced them with Pilot Sport All Season 4 which I like. I hope for only a 10% range reduction. So far it looks closer to 15% but:
- I have less than 1.5K miles on the tires so they are still pretty new
- Winter temps and rain are all over the place, so I really don't have a good idea what it is

When I get to 2K miles, I'm going to reset one of my trip meters and take data for the rest of the year. That should give me a decent comparison with the first 19.6K miles which were 266 Wh/mi.

Thank you for that information - I look forward to your updates.:)

Pilot Sport All Season 4 - 15-20% range hit in all driving conditions. 6000 miles on them.

15-20% range hit? Come on, who's going to believe that. So if a car can go 300 miles with the MXM4s and then you start using the Pilot Sport All Season 4, you'll only get 240 miles? LOL

And then what about the Pilot Sport 4S? That's even gripper, that must only give you 200 miles then.

Reactions: Daekwan and rlb4
Pilot Sport All Season 4 - 15-20% range hit in all driving conditions. 6000 miles on them.

I have never seen that bad and my tires have only about 1600 miles on them. In the last 2 days of 50 degF dry roads I have seen about 295 wh/mi for trips that (as I recall) are in the range of 260. That's less than 15%. My current observations are between 10% and 15% but it's not real data -- it's just eyeball vs memory which is notoriously inaccurate.

I believe they will get better and, as noted above, I will start taking data at 2000 miles. Actual data for comparable conditions are the only thing that I will believe.

went from MXM4 to AS 3+ and definitely lost range...a lot, although I also went from 235/18x8.5 aeros to 265/19x9.5 forged. less weight in the wheels but more in the tires to equate to nearly the same total weight overall. With this set up, it is also nearly the same diameter, so only much, much wider plus the tire.

Will check pre/post and get back to you

Last edited:
went from MXM4 to AS 3+ and definitely lost range...a lot, although I also went from 235/18x8.5 aeros to 265/19x9.5 forged. less weight in the wheels but more in the tires to equate to nearly the same total weight overall. With this set up, it is also nearly the same diameter, so only much, much wider plus the tire.

Will check pre/post and get back to you

You got a much wider cross-section tire so much more drag and significantly more rolling resistance because rolling resistance is proportional to section width also. And the MXM4 is designed to be maximum efficient while the PSA/S3+ maximum performance

I've been killing myself over what tires to get. My OEM MXM4s got about 27M miles on the rear and still have some tread left on the fronts. Thought about the Cross Climate + (highly rated and well, because it has rim protection) or the Primacy Tour because of the higher mileage and rating, but not sure it makes sense with range hit (and potentially noisier tire). The Primacy Tour doesn't have the speed rating, but that doesn't phase me (I think I hit a short burst of 120 early on, but performance isn't that important for me)

I could stick with my normal plan of replacing just one axle as I have done for 40 years of driving and just get two of the MXM4s. I

ARGH: why can't this be a simple decision.

Reactions: Fadiawesome
Anyone who has replaced the OEM Primacy MXM4 with either the Pilot Sport All Season 4 or CrossClimate2 - how has your range been effected?
I replaced the MXM4 with the Pilot Sport AS4 and the "range" efficiency has been negligible, perhaps maybe about a 2-3 mile range "upgrade." Of course, I changed tires in November 2020 and with the milder cool Bay Area winter weather, my range diminishes until mid-spring time when the warmer weather increases range again. But handling-wise, I think these PS tires react and feel more precise and feel stickier around turns, than when my MXM4s were newer, hence, the lower expected life of tread warranty.

I replaced the MXM4 with the Pilot Sport AS4 and the "range" efficiency has been negligible, perhaps maybe about a 2-3 mile range increase. Of course, I changed tires in November 2020 and with the milder cool Bay Area winter weather, my range diminishes until mid-spring time when the warmer weather increases range again. But handling-wise, I think these PS tires seem to react more precisely and feel stickier around turns, hence, the lower expected life of tread warranty.