Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range differences with Pilot Sport All Season 4 or CrossClimate2 vs Primacy MXM4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2500 miles in, Michelin PS A/S 4, 258 wh/mi @ 45 psi vs 247 wh/mi for 19,000 miles with MXM4 @ 42 psi.

FWIW I'm just shy of 3k miles on my PS A/S 4 now.... the big (known) difference to your data is I run 40 psi (in both sets- nearer to what Elon suggested).

Both on aero wheels without the covers- on LR AWD.... (didn't see you say what wheels or trim of 3 you have)

~265 wh/mi for about 22k miles on the MXM4s

~290 wh/mi for almost 3k on the PS A/S4s

So about a 10% range hit.

Reactions: wildguess
FWIW I'm just shy of 3k miles on my PS A/S 4 now.... the big (known) difference to your data is I run 40 psi (in both sets- nearer to what Elon suggested).

Both on aero wheels without the covers- on LR AWD.... (didn't see you say what wheels or trim of 3 you have)

Aero Wheels, no hubcap, LR RWD

Thank you - very helpful :)

Pulled the trigger and ordered four Cross Climate 2s. They threw in an alignment to order four (contemplated only doing the rears since I had plenty of tread left on the front).

I get 245 (Summer) to 255 (Winter) wh/mi so we'll see how things end up.

Pulled the trigger and ordered four Cross Climate 2s. They threw in an alignment to order four (contemplated only doing the rears since I had plenty of tread left on the front).

I get 245 (Summer) to 255 (Winter) wh/mi so we'll see how things end up.

I'm really interested to hear how the CC2's are, especially for efficiency. Could you update us when you've had a chance to try them out?

I'm really interested to hear how the CC2's are, especially for efficiency. Could you update us when you've had a chance to try them out?
Prior to the change, I had a 253 Wh/M average since the beginning of winter. Right now, it is at 344 Wh/M*

*Number based on 1.3 mile drive home including a pass through an upcoming Supercharger location, so is completely irrelevant. ;)

Here is my stock 18" vs CrossClimate. I got CC before CC2 came out with WL tires. I would not buy again in SoCal as a daily tire. I would get a set of rims with winter tires instead for trips to big bear.

Screenshot_20210316-080402_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210316-080443_Gallery.jpg

I know this thread is about the pilot sports and crossclimate but has anyone cross shopped these with the quatrac pros? It looks like the quatracs and crossclimates have similar all weather performance but you take much more of a range hit with the crossclimates. Does anyone have experience with the quatrac range impact?

I know this thread is about the pilot sports and crossclimate but has anyone cross shopped these with the quatrac pros? It looks like the quatracs and crossclimates have similar all weather performance but you take much more of a range hit with the crossclimates. Does anyone have experience with the quatrac range impact?
There is a Google doc of tire comparisons. I do not know who did this (wish I did so I could give proper credit). On this, the warranties are about the same (slight edge to the Vredestein Quatrac 5 though the Cross Climate 2 has a better treadwear rating) and the CC2s have a better overall ranking.
Comparison of Model 3 compatible tires (235/45-18", 235/40-19", 235/35-20") according to ratings from TireRack and TyreReviews (sorted by tire category and rating)

There is a Google doc of tire comparisons. I do not know who did this (wish I did so I could give proper credit). On this, the warranties are about the same (slight edge to the Vredestein Quatrac 5 though the Cross Climate 2 has a better treadwear rating) and the CC2s have a better overall ranking.
Comparison of Model 3 compatible tires (235/45-18", 235/40-19", 235/35-20") according to ratings from TireRack and TyreReviews (sorted by tire category and rating)
Yea i've seen this google sheet a bunch of times before but it doesn't include the Quatrac Pros which is the tire I'm most interested in. On Tire rack they give a slight edge to the CrossClimate2 overall but they don't have a range impact rating to compare. I'm less interested in treadwear warranty and a little more on if I'll take a significant range impact since I already use roof racks and would like to reduce that a bit.

I'm less interested in treadwear warranty and a little more on if I'll take a significant range impact since I already use roof racks and would like to reduce that a bit.
But you're not going to find that information (range impact) anywhere. Even the comments on here are purely anecdotal and have no valid testing methodology to back up the observations.

Reactions: Zoomit
I have the Vredestein Quatrac 5. On the OEMs, I averaged 245Wh/m for the first 9000 miles. Then I put on the Quatrac 5, and I'm still averaging 245Wh/m after 15,000 miles. Plus, the Vredesteins have gone thru two winters, where the OEM tires went thru only one, so it's possible the Quatrac 5 is slightly more efficient than the OEM tires.

When running the calibration on ABRP, it says the Quatrac 5 uses 235Wh/mile at 65mph, under summer temps, which is extremely good, as far as I'm concerned. I don't have a reading for the OEM tires, since that ABRP feature didn't come out until after I switched tires. Would be nice if others would run the calibration with various tires to compare. Here it shows 247Wh/mile at 41F.
IMG_9610.jpeg

Last edited:
But you're not going to find that information (range impact) anywhere. Even the comments on here are purely anecdotal and have no valid testing methodology to back up the observations.
As I mentioned in my previous comment, if we could have people use ABRP to calibrate their efficiency at 65mph, with the temp info, we'd have a point of comparison.

IMG_9610.jpeg

As I mentioned in my previous comment, if we could have people use ABRP to calibrate their efficiency at 65mph, with the temp info, we'd have a point of comparison.
True, but even then. I would be dubious as there are SO many variables (tire pressure, driving conditions, etc.). I read through so many posts about efficiency and finally just gave up on it.