Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range differences with Pilot Sport All Season 4 or CrossClimate2 vs Primacy MXM4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with a Model 3 Performance and 20" OEM turbine wheels gone from OEM Tire Size (235/35-20) to a taller tire like (235/40-20) or (235/45-20)??
I do not believe that a 235/40 in a 20 inch diameter would actually fit inside the front steering knuckle which pretty much mandates a rolling diameter under 27 in. A 235/45-20 isn't even close in that regard. Since you can't return tires after they're mounted that would be an expensive mistake.

Tesla unfortunately compounded the vulnerability of their performance wheel /Tire compliment by adding 2 kg to the weight of the wheel. That's part of the problem ( that extra unsprung weight makes it harder for the tire wheel assembly to track Road imperfections smoothly) and the solution involves moving away from that wheel. It's both fairly brittle, heavy, and expensive. A trifecta of undesirable characteristics despite its popular aesthetic.

• Disagree
Reactions: tm1v2 and lUtriaNt
I do not believe that a 235/40 in a 20 inch diameter would actually fit inside the front steering knuckle which pretty much mandates a rolling diameter under 27 in. A 235/45-20 isn't even close in that regard. Since you can't return tires after they're mounted that would be an expensive mistake.

Tesla unfortunately compounded the vulnerability of their performance wheel /Tire compliment by adding 2 kg to the weight of the wheel. That's part of the problem ( that extra unsprung weight makes it harder for the tire wheel assembly to track Road imperfections smoothly) and the solution involves moving away from that wheel. It's both fairly brittle, heavy, and expensive. A trifecta of undesirable characteristics despite its popular aesthetic.
Yeah, I wish there is an turbine-aero OEM looking wheel at 18" or 19" that is lighter and flow forged so I can also raise tire height.

Has anyone been successful getting a tread life warranty claim credit with the MXM4's? Says they are 50k tires. I have just under 36k on them and need replacements.

Do you mean the ones that came with the car?

Michelin officially stopped offering a warranty on OEM tires years ago (says 2017 there but I think they actually changed it in 2018 so some folks with '18s complained enough to get something)

Do you mean the ones that came with the car?

Michelin officially stopped offering a warranty on OEM tires years ago (says 2017 there but I think they actually changed it in 2018 so some folks with '18s complained enough to get something)
Yeah OEM. If that's the case then I guess I look for another brand.

Prices are fairly high for the tires mentioned here. Lots of lower cost options but I don't know how off brands perform.

I'd like to consider run-flats when I need them if they make them. Has anyone had them installed and does it affect range or anything else?
Short form of a long story on run-flats. Don't. First of all they are only good for about 50 miles. And in exchange for some ability to run the tire without air you get the worst ride in the industry and often times mediocre handling and other performance characteristics. If you have any question about this go to Tire Rack's website and check out the reviews of run-flat tires by Bridgestone and other manufacturers. They are almost universally at the absolute bottom of the ratings in various classes. I think run-flat tires are a gimmick that the tire industry suckered a lot of people into thinking of as a solution to the problem of the occasional flat tire. While it does obviate that issue for about 50 miles, you have tens of thousands of miles of crappy ride and crappy performance. Indeed a lot of people buy them and then get rid of them before even getting through their tread life. I think that's the definition of a bad trade-off.

Short form of a long story on run-flats. Don't. First of all they are only good for about 50 miles. And in exchange for some ability to run the tire without air you get the worst ride in the industry and often times mediocre handling and other performance characteristics. If you have any question about this go to Tire Rack's website and check out the reviews of run-flat tires by Bridgestone and other manufacturers. They are almost universally at the absolute bottom of the ratings in various classes. I think run-flat tires are a gimmick that the tire industry suckered a lot of people into thinking of as a solution to the problem of the occasional flat tire. While it does obviate that issue for about 50 miles, you have tens of thousands of miles of crappy ride and crappy performance. Indeed a lot of people buy them and then get rid of them before even getting through their tread life. I think that's the definition of a bad trade-off.
Second on the run flats. My wife had them on her mini and they were, by far, the worst riding tires I've ever had. Ditched them for a set of regular tires and had a patch kit and a pump in the back of the car.

Sorry about all the questions, but can someone with the cc2’s compare the handling of those tires with the oem mxm4? Is it better or worse?
I believe Tire Rack has those tires rated across a bunch of characteristics. If they are in the same class which I think they are as premium touring all season tires the ratings are roughly comparable. If on the other hand they are in different classes it's difficult to compare user ratings on handling. For example, in it's class, the CC2 is highly rated for handling, just about as high as the Pilot Sport 4S. But no one should take that as any indication that it's as good in a corner as the PS4s. It's relative to class.

with i would have read this thread before buying my Pilot AS 4 for my Long Range, i would have just replaced the tires with OEM ones,
the Pilot grip and handle great and maybe quieter driving down the road but the increase of 45Wh/mi is a big hit for me
in terms of range

with i would have read this thread before buying my Pilot AS 4 for my Long Range, i would have just replaced the tires with OEM ones,
the Pilot grip and handle great and maybe quieter driving down the road but the increase of 45Wh/mi is a big hit for me
in terms of range
That's a very high number (45 watt hours per mile) for a rolling resistance change from mxm to PS all season 4. Roughly just under twice the average of What folks generally report. Did you change wheels and/or aero inserts also?

15-20% range hit? Come on, who's going to believe that. So if a car can go 300 miles with the MXM4s and then you start using the Pilot Sport All Season 4, you'll only get 240 miles? LOL

And then what about the Pilot Sport 4S? That's even gripper, that must only give you 200 miles then.

The difference in range due to tires can in fact be quite large, but grippier tires are not necessarily worse.

Second on the run flats. My wife had them on her mini and they were, by far, the worst riding tires I've ever had. Ditched them for a set of regular tires and had a patch kit and a pump in the back of the car.
I mostly agree with the "avoid run flats" advice but there have occasionally been fantastic ones. The factory tires on the C5 z06 were wonderful, good autocross times, ride was fine. Don't know how rolling resistance was. I assume there must still be tires at least that good around.... it looks like this is the modern evolution of that tire, but does not come in some tesla relevant sizes unless you are going wiiiide: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+Supercar+G:+2+RunOnFlat