Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range displayed at speedometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F314BE30-DB80-4DFB-86B3-927430A5A399.jpeg
Is this correct? This is what Tesla told me

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Estimated range is shown in the energy app and is dependent upon the energy in the battery as well as your driving style and total energy use over the past 10, 25 or 50 km (selectable).

Rated range is shown on the dash display, either in percent or km. It is based on the energy in the battery and the EPA constant for your car and is not affected by your driving style - other than decreasing more quickly than expected when driving aggressively or using climate or battery heating.

Battery temperature and BMS drift can affect both ranges as they both affect how much energy the BMS thinks it can get from your battery.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, How to Maintain Battery Health

There is no "expected" amount of "range loss", because every battery is different, and the stresses applied to the battery in every car is different.

The master thread above has peoples experiences with what you are asking (which is the same question most in that thread are talking about just phrased slightly differently.

I find it mildly amusing you didn't link your own sticky on the subject: Tesla Official Statement on Range :)

The range displayed is not adapted based on driving pattern or other factors that impact range. When fully charged, the driving range displayed is based on regulating agency certification (Environmental Protection Agency - EPA). To view estimated range based on average consumption, open the Energy app.

I find it mildly amusing you didn't link your own sticky on the subject: Tesla Official Statement on Range :)

I figured this OP already was questioning what tesla was telling them, so it would be "rude" to link specifically to a thread which was to be tesla's official stance on the subject. The other two threads are forum opinion / discussion etc... so I felt they were more appropriate to point this OP to.

(I actually did think about it, even if it looks like i just threw a couple links in there :))

Thanks guys
I found it odd that the service person say the rated range at the speedometer depends on driving habits. wondering if there’s updates that change how rated ranges are calculated

That's exactly true... If you are speedracer, you will not get the range next to the battery. If it's cold you will not get that range. If it's windy, you will not get that range. If you look at it funny, it will not get that range. So basically that number is useless except get people wounded up about degradation.

I found it odd that the service person say

It's not unusual at all for the service people to be wrong about things. Sometimes they are right, many times they are wrong.

wondering if there’s updates that change how rated ranges are calculated

No, it would be a huge philosophical change for Tesla if they changed this. You can check the sticky with the Constants to help you understand how it works, and refer to the other posted links above. The number of km/miles next to the speedometer is a direct indicator of the approximate energy you have available, according to the BMS. It's not adjusted based on your driving habits - it's not a "guess-o-meter" as it is in some other EVs. That is not to suggest that the "100% value" won't change after a drive - of course it could change due to a particular drive cycle, because it always represents the best estimate of the BMS, and it may adjust its estimate periodically.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
the service people in brisbane told me that they werent going to reinstall my rear seat protectors due to the airbags in the seats and theyd be legally liable if something happens -there are no rear seat airbags.

They also told me a research monitoring (smartcharge) device in the OBD port would immediately void the entire warranty if they want - this is obviously also garbage.

Most people at the SC dont drive teslas and its just a normal job for them. It's like people who work at BMW dealerships who drive volkswagens. If they really think they do a great product they would drive it - and the company should enable even low earners to drive their cars.

the service people in brisbane told me that they werent going to reinstall my rear seat protectors due to the airbags in the seats and theyd be legally liable if something happens -there are no rear seat airbags.

They also told me a research monitoring (smartcharge) device in the OBD port would immediately void the entire warranty if they want - this is obviously also garbage.

Most people at the SC dont drive teslas and its just a normal job for them. It's like people who work at BMW dealerships who drive volkswagens. If they really think they do a great product they would drive it - and the company should enable even low earners to drive their cars.
I think it's kind of a way of thinking people have gotten where Tesla is a company that is different from other traditional car companies, so it's natural to slide into that thought that their service people are entirely different from other car companies and aren't from there. But that just isn't always the case. They probably have hired a lot of car mechanics who worked for other places before, and were used to just telling customers whatever they wanted to shut them up and make them go away, so these "bad apples" still exist.