Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range efficiency with wider tires on P3D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question.. Please dont take this the wrong way because its just a question because I am curious.

If this was an ICE car would you be worried about how much less your MPGs would be if you changed your tires? Again, I am just curious if you would care, or if this is part of the range anxiety that EV owners experience.

Question.. Please dont take this the wrong way because its just a question because I am curious.

If this was an ICE car would you be worried about how much less your MPGs would be if you changed your tires? Again, I am just curious if you would care, or if this is part of the range anxiety that EV owners experience.

no, because getting a full tank of gas takes 5 minutes and supercharging takes ~1-2 hours. with EV cars, range is a factor. i'm trying to figure out the cost/benefit of wider tires.

Reactions: electrictorque
no, because getting a full tank of gas takes 5 minutes and supercharging takes ~1-2 hours. with EV cars, range is a factor. i'm trying to figure out the cost/benefit of wider tires.

Thanks for answering. I dont know how the range would be effected by wider tires. I ask because I am a new EV owner, and combating the exact concern you are expressing.. even though I know for me personally, my daily commute is around 100 miles so the actual range will almost never matter.

I find myself thinking about range / mileage etc waay more, even though "it doesnt matter" and I keep telling myself that. I was wondering if this was the case for you too.

Thanks for answering. I dont know how the range would be effected by wider tires. I ask because I am a new EV owner, and combating the exact concern you are expressing.. even though I know for me personally, my daily commute is around 100 miles so the actual range will almost never matter.

I find myself thinking about range / mileage etc waay more, even though "it doesnt matter" and I keep telling myself that. I was wondering if this was the case for you too.

same. my daily commute is usually 60-80 miles so i'm not concerned about daily driving. i don't think i've ever gone below 35% SOC. but if i want to take a road trip and can't get more than 150 miles of range per charge, that's a problem. the 20x9 performance tires vs the 18 inch aero tires is about 50 miles of lost range. so anything wider makes me think it will be worse.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I can't imagine how a wider contact patch with presumably stickier rubber would have anything but a negative effect on overall range, ie more friction to overcome == more energy used

There are posts comparing 20" performance vs 19" 'performance' all season vs 18" all season (w/aero rims). As expected, larger rims/sticker tires cost range.

It depends on which tires you get. Due to different rubber-compounds wider tires could give you better or worse range. In europe we have the A to G grades on rolling-resistance. The difference between two tires in same dimension could be up to 10% in worst cases. If you could find 265 with low rolling resistance you could possibly gain range. I would advice you to read several reviews and find some which both has good traction and low rolling resistance :)