Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sc 7? Lost count. I've been checking in on Connectt. I don't mind stopping for quick breaks. I'll charge until it says 25% until next SC. They way drive about hour or two and take 15 min break

- - - Updated - - -

Latech, I'm speeding, no AC right now, perfect temp at 59 and I am not pushing it though. I think I was getting about 85 true miles when tesla said I used about 100miles of battery. I say if u put on TRIP mode, and go 70, will be fine.

Supercharger 3 in blue ash, OH... I think. Tesla location. Gotta say, pretty cool... 24 hr lounge, access code is on touchscreen.

Wait, hold up there a minute. You can't just toss something like that out so casually! How does this work, you pull up, plug in, and the car's touchscreen pops up with an access code to the lounge somewhere on it? I had no idea the car could do that.

SC8, made it to Atlanta. Mikeash, the lounge, will post pics if I ever make it back to FL. The superchargers are outside, then there's a tesla sale center, part of that has the lounge. 24 hr access. When u arrive, push red lightning button on touch screen and a numeric code comes up. Go to door and punch in. Black chairs, coffee, TV, snacks.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone know how much I bypass charger in navigation? I'm trying to make tifton, GA but keeps taking me through Macon SC. I would like to only bypass Macon to see how much battery would be left

SC8, made it to Atlanta. Mikeash, the lounge, will post pics if I ever make it back to FL. The superchargers are outside, then there's a tesla sale center, part of that has the lounge. 24 hr access. When u arrive, push red lightning button on touch screen and a numeric code comes up. Go to door and punch in. Black chairs, coffee, TV, snacks.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone know how much I bypass charger in navigation? I'm trying to make tifton, GA but keeps taking me through Macon SC. I would like to only bypass Macon to see how much battery would be left

Very cool! Thanks for the info, and thanks to MorrisonHiker for the link to the pictures. Nice setup there. Hope you survive the trip back to FL!

To bypass a charging stop, you'll have to navigate directly to the charger you want to go directly to. Tap it on the map, tap Navigate. You may then need to remove charging stops, as it may still try to make you stop at the earlier charger. Once you remove charging stops you can evaluate for yourself instead of trusting the (often stupid) machine.

Tifton, Georgia! I could not select this SC on nav screen,grated out bec wanted me to stop at first SC. I also tried to X out 1st SC... No joy. So I just input the address and selected "remove all chargers" and gave me direct route.
La tech? I did a FULL charge in Atkanta to 254 miles. Goal was to travel 185m and energy range said I would have 17% left. So I took an easy on driving, initially! Started out at 65MPH, AC on low, fan 1. Did they for 40 miles and range said would have 25% at end. The next 60 miles I set cruise at 70, got bored and last 75 miles set cruise at 75. Made it here with 21% battery or about 60 miles left to spare. Hope that helps. And outside temp was 91 degrees. Too tired to do the math but u should be fine.

This is a great thread... Thanks for sharing. I recently ordered an 85D and can't wait. However, (at least right now) I can't imagine convincing my wife to take the Tesla on a road trip and stop every hour or two for 15-30 mins. Especially after years of pushing her to go 3-4 hours between stops where we typically grab food to go. Anyone figured out how much time it actually adds on to a 10-12 hour road trip?

AuKirk: You are going to enjoy your 85D which, I believe is MORE efficient then P85D. The wife factor...understand that BUT you do NOT have to stop at every (SuperCharger) SC like I did. I chose to stop about every 100 miles because I was by myself and enjoyed the 15 minute break to just stretch and check out the SC locations. Majority do have amenities though. Depending on where you are traveling..you can travel to farther chargers on a SINGLE charge. I did that from Atlanta, GA to Tifton, GA...about 185miles. To answer how much time is added. Here is my estimate: The way I was stopping, 100 miles took me about 2 hours (this includes charge time). I would "guesstimate" that you could stop every 180 miles and charge for 45 minutes each time to FULL charge and you can do the estimate. I only did ONE full charge in Atlanta. The other 100 miles charges I only charged about 15 minutes to leave about 20% juice left on battery for next destination. How I did this was to be Navigation was setup to show your next SC destination then 2nd screen I selected ENERGY Tab, Trip and as it was charging it would show you how much battery would be left at next destination. Example. When I was in Atlanta, started charging and I knew I need at least 185 miles on battery to continue and Energy tab showed "-" which means would not be able to reach my destination. Then as Teslas charged, went to 0% then increased and at full charge showed I would have around 17% battery remaining at next destination. I ended up having 21% when I arrived at Tifton, GA destination. So bank on stopping at around the 180 mile mark and do full charge. REMEMBER though, when doing full charge... to get to the last 20% for full charge...takes another 20 minutes...just crawls. HOPE THAT helps!!

OK, here is my summary after about 1350 miles, took 26 hours straight. I will try to answer/comment on questions.
Averaged about 2 hours per 100 miles. I have completed NUMEROUS road trips in ICE cars and stopped only to get gas. This is completely biased opinion but either I just had adrenaline or was just motivated for trip...this 26 hours was not bad at all. Of course, I am a huge Tesla fan and this is my second Tesla. I enjoyed checking out the SC stations and really seeing how efficient the Tesla really is. MUCH more efficient than my 2013 S60.
The NEX Gen seats are a must...really felt wrapped and secure. I have the E battery pack versus my A pack on S60.
Comparison: S60 would "hum" at about 75 MPH. NO humming on P85D and I would occasionally cruise around 85MPH very easily. No need to comment on me speeding, please.
Can't tell any real difference with Air Suspension vs Coils. I could "feel" the car lowering from Standard to LOW when I selected.
TACC was GREAT! As advertised, slowed down with car in front, when signaled to change lanes would auto accelerate again to cruising speed programmed.
Lane Departure warning worked great. I did not realize what I was doing wrong initially but if changing lanes with signal indicator, the side you are changing would vibrate...like driving over rumple strips on guard.
I did use INSANE mode at all until the END...WOW....what a feeling. S60 does not even compare.

Max*: I may have been doing something wrong but would not let me navigate to SC of my choice, could not "remove" 1st SC either.
Travwill: THANK YOU for putting eyes on Tesla and you've been great! Felt comfortable with 20% arrival range. Towards end felt fine with 10% also.
mikeash: HOW do I delete the intermediate charging station. I selected 'X" to close and still kept showing up. My only option was to remove all SC and manually put SC address in Nav. I am also posting pics of LOUNGE. OK, read your continued thread...cannot "delete" intermediate charging station..hope there's an update for that.
ArtInCT: whole plan was to drive straight through. My estimate was 24 hrs, ended up taking 26 hours.
MichFin: GREAT advice and thank you
LaTache: HOPE your trip went well, I responded late but let us know.

THANK you for keeping me motivated during the road trip. Loving the P85D!!!!
One last thing...some of these SC are tucked back or hidden but traveling at night...that RED HUE light was easily recognizable.

IMG_3326.JPG
IMG_3325.JPG
IMG_3324.JPG

Ok, a great summary!
And it appears you had a safe & fun trip.
Did you ever get down to 30 miles of range or less between SuperChargers?
What do you feel the P85D's safe cruising range is between charges based upon your long distance trip?
I see you like the NextGen seats... did you finally achieve "THE" perfect adjustment and arm rest position?

Did you notice the slow taper charge at the SuperCharger once you got to a certain battery state of charge? If so what was that state of charge?

Did the Navigation system bring you right to the SuperChargers accurately?

Thanks
ARTinCT

Last edited:
ArtInCT: saw your other post. So here goes.
I did the trip SOLO. The NexGen seats just feel like they envelope and conform better. I would say I have never found the perfect seat position in any car BUT my back never got tired though. This COULD BE attributed to stopping every 1.5 hrs though. When I did the 180 mile stent though, back did not hurt either.
TACC: I used a lot initially for first half of trip, after that...no reason in particular but did not use much.
Nav system did "fail" couple of time. When I left Chattanooga to Atlanta...after about 20 miles it kept RE-Routing me back to that Chattanooga even though it showed I would have about 17% to get to Atlanta. No way to clear this. So I just input address of Atlanta SC and did fine. I knew I could make it to Atlanta. I think Tesla software is just playing on safe side so nobody runs of of JUICE. The second time I mentioned before. Would route me to 1 SC even though I knew I could make it to 2nd one. That i found, no way to get "rid" of that 1st SC.
When I SC: I would keep 2 screens up, 1 Nav and bottom was Energy screen with TRIP selected. When you select RESUME trip in Nav screen, the Energy screen will SHOW how much charge it will take to get to INPUTTED SC on Nav screen. IF not enough, will show RED and not enough juice. JUST keep charging and you will see battery rating go up. I would normally only charge until Energy screen showed 20% REMAINING at next stop. I would say I could drive about 100 true miles and Tesla "showed" equivalent that I used 110-115 miles of juice for that 100 mile trip. Again, I was not driving too conservatively. ANY questions, let me know.
I will look at SC from CT to Naples and give you my opinion..which may not be worth much!

ArtInCT: saw your other post. So here goes.
I did the trip SOLO. The NexGen seats just feel like they envelope and conform better. I would say I have never found the perfect seat position in any car BUT my back never got tired though. This COULD BE attributed to stopping every 1.5 hrs though. When I did the 180 mile stent though, back did not hurt either.
TACC: I used a lot initially for first half of trip, after that...no reason in particular but did not use much.
Nav system did "fail" couple of time. When I left Chattanooga to Atlanta...after about 20 miles it kept RE-Routing me back to that Chattanooga even though it showed I would have about 17% to get to Atlanta. No way to clear this. So I just input address of Atlanta SC and did fine. I knew I could make it to Atlanta. I think Tesla software is just playing on safe side so nobody runs of of JUICE. The second time I mentioned before. Would route me to 1 SC even though I knew I could make it to 2nd one. That i found, no way to get "rid" of that 1st SC.
When I SC: I would keep 2 screens up, 1 Nav and bottom was Energy screen with TRIP selected. When you select RESUME trip in Nav screen, the Energy screen will SHOW how much charge it will take to get to INPUTTED SC on Nav screen. IF not enough, will show RED and not enough juice. JUST keep charging and you will see battery rating go up. I would normally only charge until Energy screen showed 20% REMAINING at next stop. I would say I could drive about 100 true miles and Tesla "showed" equivalent that I used 110-115 miles of juice for that 100 mile trip. Again, I was not driving too conservatively. ANY questions, let me know.
I will look at SC from CT to Naples and give you my opinion..which may not be worth much!

Very smart choice of charging times at a SC!

GNXS: sounds good. There is WPB Tesla sales/service center with SC but about 5 minutes off I95 or Turnpike, whichever way you decide. May need to do good charge at Fort Drum on Turnpike and you should make to Boyton. Hit me up if you need anything.