Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range estimation bug in 2022.16.1.2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just upgraded to 2022.16.1.2. The Energy app now claims an average consumption rate, when driving in my neighbourhood, of ~100 Wh/km (used to be ~167) and estimated range has jumped by ~60%. I assume the range overestimate will feed into navigation system “charge at destination” estimates that are wildly optimistic and thus hazardous but have yet to test. Has anyone else experienced this in association with 2022.16.1.2?

The problem seems to be in the energy app. Currently it shows a projected range of 576 km based on the last 50 km and 80% charge, but the battery gauge in the upper left screen shows a more realistic 421 km. I’m hoping the latter is used in the navigation system

The energy app has always shown instantaneous or projected range based on 3 different lengths of recent driving. When going uphill with 90% battery I have seen it show project range as 50 miles. Sounds like it changed from one length to another at the update and that is why you are seeing changes. I doubt the app and it’s math we’re changed in this release.

You're talking about the first page of the energy app, right? If you're navigating, use the 'Trip' tab. That one is more accurate. As @Mrbrock noted, the first tab only uses up to the last 30 miles (with, I think 15 and 5 miles as other choices). Of course it's going to be less accurate.