Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Explained?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I am in the market for a used Model X Long Range/Long Range Plus.

I am looking at 2019s and 2020s and I have seen some listed as Long Range, Long Range (Limited Availability) and Long Range Plus. I am guessing that Long Range plus is the 370 mile battery but that is all that I know. I know that a 100D is 295 miles of range. I am hoping someone can clear things up for me as to what the range for the 3 batteries listed above is, since I can't seem to find cohesive information about it online. Also, is there any difference between a 2019 and 2020 as far as batteries go?

Ideally I want to get the most range possible so knowing which batteries to avoid and which to consider would be very helpful.

Here are the variations they officially gave the Gov.

21 to 20
pEkVFkS.jpg

20 to 19
d1cy8Nz.jpg

Last edited:
And don't expect to get the range advertised. So many things affect it. Whether or not you use the heater, outside temperature, wind speed and direction, hilly vs flat, speed, etc. It is also listed as 100% to 0% range, which you should rarely or never do. Typically for day to day driving around town you might see a good range, provided the ambient temperature is optimal. For highway travel there is very little regen braking, which extends range driving around town a lot. So at highway speeds of 75-80 for an older MX rates at 295 miles expect to only get 220-230 or so max. I would upgrade to an LR if I could keep my unlimited supercharging, but alas I cannot. :-( The range isn't so bad as at my age stopping every 3-3.5 hours is okay. :)

I traded in my 2017 100D on a 2020 LR+ raven with the H series battery. The 2017 depending on the usual wind terrain and other factors got 291 to 293 miles at full charge at 30.000 miles, On the road with mostly flat terrain it had 285 miles of range. The 2020 Raven LR + is low miles < 2,000 and gets 371 at full charge and appears to get about than on the road. other factors taken into account.
If you are looking try to find a H battery car.

Wait a second. I have a 2017 100D Model X with about ~35k miles on it. You were still getting 291 to 293 miles at full charge? On my model X of the same year and similar mileage, I only would charge up to 268 miles max range because of battery degrading. So your battery range hasn't degraded at all? Thanks.

Wait a second. I have a 2017 100D Model X with about ~35k miles on it. You were still getting 291 to 293 miles at full charge? On my model X of the same year and similar mileage, I only would charge up to 268 miles max range because of battery degrading. So your battery range hasn't degraded at all? Thanks.
As a reference, my 2017 100D Model X gets 278 miles on a full charge. I've got 48,000 on the clock. I bought the car when it already had 26,000 miles on it. It charged to 285 the first time I ever fully charged it. Since I've had the X, it's been charged to 100% many, many times and many Supercharger stops.

As a reference, my 2017 100D Model X gets 278 miles on a full charge. I've got 48,000 on the clock. I bought the car when it already had 26,000 miles on it. It charged to 285 the first time I ever fully charged it. Since I've had the X, it's been charged to 100% many, many times and many Supercharger stops.
My similar 2017 X with 60K miles is about 276 miles. Can you clarify your "100% many, many times" remark? Meaning for how long is it typically left at 100% before you drive it? The shorter the better is typically the consensus. When I do that I try to time it to leave within 0-2 hours of it reaching 99%-100%.

Reactions: VikH
My similar 2017 X with 60K miles is about 276 miles. Can you clarify your "100% many, many times" remark? Meaning for how long is it typically left at 100% before you drive it? The shorter the better is typically the consensus. When I do that I try to time it to leave within 0-2 hours of it reaching 99%-100%.
Since I've had the X (10 months now), it's been at 100% state of charge ~30 times, I would guess. When charging from home or a hotel/business destination charger, I try to time it so I leave within an hour of reaching full charge. There have been 2 or 3 instances where I forgot to lower my "set charge" and I mistakenly charged to 100% and didn't notice for a few hours afterwards. In those cases, I've taken the time to go on drive to lower the charge to under 90%. I'll also add that I've found myself below 10% quite a few times. Earlier this month, I returned home with 1 mile showing. Cold night and no SC available within reach of my round trip.