Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Extending Wheels for Model Y Performance (MYP)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to see what aftermarket choices MYP owners will have when looking for a wheel / tire package to maximize range. I wanted to buy a second set of tires to hopefully accomplish that by getting the MYP closer to MYLR in terms of battery range. The idea is to have these ready for roadtrips, but I imagine these will become daily's to prevent curb rash and squeeze an extra .2-.3 seconds in acceleration times.

My understanding is that a smaller tire that weighs less will be the best. Is that correct? If you have a 20" wheel and a 19" wheel that weight the same, is it better to opt for the 19" wheel? Tire Rack and Discount Tire seem to have some good options along with Martian Wheels and TSportline. I might be leaning towards a set from Tire Rack because it's a lot cheaper than more other options.

Right now I'm leaning towards Enkei PX-10 or TSW Sebrings with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tires in 255/45ZR19.

The lighter wheel and tire combination would theoretically be the most efficient. The Tesla Gemini Wheel covers that fit the 19" Gemini wheels on the Long Range Model Y are specifically designed to minimize air turbulence at the wheel to maximize efficiency. You could swap the factory 21" Uberturbine wheels that come with the Performance Model Y for a set of Gemini wheels with the Gemini wheel covers. Don't forget about the tires. Low rolling resistance (LRR) tires will make a difference, as much as 10% improved efficiency over non LRR tires.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
I purchased a set of gently used Gemini's for my MYP, and the range difference was significant. I posted up about it here:

I am now switching to a set of Tsportline 18" wheels with 255/55/18 Max performance summer tires (lighter, but not as aerodynamic comparted to the Gemini) and I will have a month worth of data to compare... next month!

Keith

The lighter wheel and tire combination would theoretically be the most efficient. The Tesla Gemini Wheel covers that fit the 19" Gemini wheels on the Long Range Model Y are specifically designed to minimize air turbulence at the wheel to maximize efficiency. You could swap the factory 21" Uberturbine wheels that come with the Performance Model Y for a set of Gemini wheels with the Gemini wheel covers. Don't forget about the tires. Low rolling resistance (LRR) tires will make a difference, as much as 10% improved efficiency over non LRR tires.
Do you think the wheel covers impact efficiency enough to be persuaded in that direction? I was hoping resistance on the wheel from air would be minimal and not impactful, but this is a great point to consider.

I purchased a set of gently used Gemini's for my MYP, and the range difference was significant. I posted up about it here:

I am now switching to a set of Tsportline 18" wheels with 255/55/18 Max performance summer tires (lighter, but not as aerodynamic comparted to the Gemini) and I will have a month worth of data to compare... next month!

Keith

Wow this is great, thank you! In the spirit of answering my own question, I'll be sure to follow-up with data as well. I think it'll serve all us current and future owners well 😁

I just received the 18” package from TSportLine. The tires are 245/50 on an 8.5” wheel and they weight 16 pounds less than the 21” UTs. I expect to see some improvement in efficiency. How much? I won’t know until I get my PMY.

This is the package I bought

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Do you think the wheel covers impact efficiency enough to be persuaded in that direction? I was hoping resistance on the wheel from air would be minimal and not impactful, but this is a great point to consider.
Yes, at highway speeds. There is good data comparing the range/efficiency of the Model 3 with and without the Aerocovers on the 18" wheels. The Gemini covers are a later design, I assume offer similar gains in efficiency (~5%.)

Reactions: arch0n
I just received the 18” package from TSportLine. The tires are 245/50 on an 8.5” wheel and they weight 16 pounds less than the 21” UTs. I expect to see some improvement in efficiency. How much? I won’t know until I get my PMY.

This is the package I bought
Please let us know your range increase with the lighter wheels I am very curious thanks?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to see what aftermarket choices MYP owners will have when looking for a wheel / tire package to maximize range. I wanted to buy a second set of tires to hopefully accomplish that by getting the MYP closer to MYLR in terms of battery range. The idea is to have these ready for roadtrips, but I imagine these will become daily's to prevent curb rash and squeeze an extra .2-.3 seconds in acceleration times.

My understanding is that a smaller tire that weighs less will be the best. Is that correct? If you have a 20" wheel and a 19" wheel that weight the same, is it better to opt for the 19" wheel? Tire Rack and Discount Tire seem to have some good options along with Martian Wheels and TSportline. I might be leaning towards a set from Tire Rack because it's a lot cheaper than more other options.

Right now I'm leaning towards Enkei PX-10 or TSW Sebrings with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tires in 255/45ZR19.

Less weight will have almost no impact on highway range. Narrower tires may reduce aero drag. The primary thing to look for though is tires with very low rolling resistance. Do not pay a lot of money for light wheels, if the goal is just range, you won't get any.

Please let us know your range increase with the lighter wheels I am very curious thanks?
Reducing wheel mass by 5lbs each wheel for a total of 20lbs reduced rotational mass will improve range by 0.5 miles on the highway. In City driving about 0.75 miles.

Anyone comparing range when they buy new wheels will likely be measuring difference in the tire they also switched to, which has way more impact, or even just the change in radius if they kept the same kind of tire but got a new one.

Reactions: Bossdaddy
I'm new to Tesla and my first car delivery (a LR Model Y with std 19" Gemini wheels) is still 6 months away.
Question 1: I don't really like the looks of the Gemini wheel covers. If I remove the covers, how much efficiency benefit do I lose (in %) if my normal driving is mostly city? How much on a 70mph freeway driving trip?
Question 2: I noticed some discussion regarding 18" wheels. Given my preference for a smooth soft ride (my wife and I are 79 years old), is that a valid motivation to switch to an 18" wheel that will give more tire between the wheel and the road, thus a smoother-softer ride?

I'm new to Tesla and my first car delivery (a LR Model Y with std 19" Gemini wheels) is still 6 months away.
Question 1: I don't really like the looks of the Gemini wheel covers. If I remove the covers, how much efficiency benefit do I lose (in %) if my normal driving is mostly city? How much on a 70mph freeway driving trip?
Question 2: I noticed some discussion regarding 18" wheels. Given my preference for a smooth soft ride (my wife and I are 79 years old), is that a valid motivation to switch to an 18" wheel that will give more tire between the wheel and the road, thus a smoother-softer ride?
I'll give you my 2 cents worth here, just my opinion, but here goes:

Question 1: Typically with the removal of the wheel covers on the Model 3, as stated above expect about a 5% reduction in general range (Mostly highway), the range loss would be less in the City. Most of the testing was done using the Model 3 instead of the Model Y, but the results should be similar.

Question 2: My personal opinion here, the suspension has much more to do with softer ride than the actual tires do. I find this especially so, since the Teslas run at a pretty high tire pressure. I would doubt you're going to find much of a softer ride switching from the stock 19" size to 18" tire/wheel combination. Especially once you factor in the price of doing so. However some people think it does make a difference, so YMMV. If it were me I would give it a while, chances are you will become used to the suspension just the way it is, and not notice the percieved difference you are currently experiencing.

For local driving speeds the Gemini wheel covers do not provide much improvement in driving efficiency. As noted in another post the Gemini wheel covers do provide ~5% improvement in driving efficiency at highway speeds. You can easily pull off the Gemini wheel covers and install a wheel lug nut cover kit ($50 from Tesla) to finish the look of the exposed Gemini wheels. Then you can re-install the Gemini wheel covers for road trips if you want to maximize efficiency.

I think the whole ride issue has been overdone. Most complaints are related to the Performance Model Y with the 21" Uberturbine wheels and the sport suspension. Tesla does not tell us when they make improvements to their vehicles. It is possible that Tesla has revised the tuning of the suspension on the Performance Model Y and the Long Range Model Y based on customer feedback (Tesla does monitor forums such as TMC.)

Many expect the vehicle ride to be optimal when the vehicle is brand new. My experience my 2020 Long Range Model Y with the 19" Gemini wheels has been that the ride improved after 3000 miles of driving. Also, many seek a smoother ride by lowering the tire pressure from the recommended 42 PSI (measured cold before being driven) to 38 PSI. I experimented with different tire pressures and for my vehicle I settled on 44 PSI cold for the best ride. I will say that the ride very much reflects the condition of the roads. On a smooth road the ride is very smooth. On local roads that have been patched and repaired multiple times the ride can be poor even at speeds under 30 MPH. Also, the ride is harsher when the temperature is below 70F. That is just my opinion.

I would suggest living with the 19" Gemini wheels (with or without the Gemini wheel covers) for at least the first 3000 miles before going to the expense of changing wheels and tires (you would also need to purchase tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) sensors unless you move the sensors from the old wheels to the new wheels.

Just an anecdotal note on ride comfort:
I have the MYP w/ the 21" wheels and I actually prefer the ride of these as opposed to my 19" winter set-up with the Continental Viking tires. Eventhough the 19's may be softer they didn't ride as smooth. As @jcanoe stated, this probably has alot to do with the particular road surface.

Reactions: Bossdaddy
For local driving speeds the Gemini wheel covers do not provide much improvement in driving efficiency. As noted in another post the Gemini wheel covers do provide ~5% improvement in driving efficiency at highway speeds. You can easily pull off the Gemini wheel covers and install a wheel lug nut cover kit ($50 from Tesla) to finish the look of the exposed Gemini wheels. Then you can re-install the Gemini wheel covers for road trips if you want to maximize efficiency.

I think the whole ride issue has been overdone. Most complaints are related to the Performance Model Y with the 21" Uberturbine wheels and the sport suspension. Tesla does not tell us when they make improvements to their vehicles. It is possible that Tesla has revised the tuning of the suspension on the Performance Model Y and the Long Range Model Y based on customer feedback (Tesla does monitor forums such as TMC.)

Many expect the vehicle ride to be optimal when the vehicle is brand new. My experience my 2020 Long Range Model Y with the 19" Gemini wheels has been that the ride improved after 3000 miles of driving. Also, many seek a smoother ride by lowering the tire pressure from the recommended 42 PSI (measured cold before being driven) to 38 PSI. I experimented with different tire pressures and for my vehicle I settled on 44 PSI cold for the best ride. I will say that the ride very much reflects the condition of the roads. On a smooth road the ride is very smooth. On local roads that have been patched and repaired multiple times the ride can be poor even at speeds under 30 MPH. Also, the ride is harsher when the temperature is below 70F. That is just my opinion.

I would suggest living with the 19" Gemini wheels (with or without the Gemini wheel covers) for at least the first 3000 miles before going to the expense of changing wheels and tires (you would also need to purchase tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) sensors unless you move the sensors from the old wheels to the new wheels.
Thank you very much, great answer!

I have a 2022 MYP with Martian 19” and Michelins power sports 4 summer tires.

getting 271 wh/mi. 60s ish degree and AC on. going 5-10% over speed limit. Step on it every here and there for fun or freeway merging.

ride comfort is awesome compared to the stock 21”. SF bay area road sucks!

I had a dragy and tested my 0-60 with the stock 21”. Was only able to get 3.8 sec from stand still. With the 19” Martian, same test. 3.6 sec.

8092CEF8-DB05-46EA-A081-EE9C1938739D.jpeg
8803294C-22A5-48CC-A4D2-C93F58B5679D.jpeg

getting 271 wh/mi. 60s ish degree and AC on. going 5-10% over speed limit. Step on it every here and there for fun or freeway merging.

I had a dragy and tested my 0-60 with the stock 21”. Was only able to get 3.8 sec from stand still. With the 19” Martian, same test. 3.6 sec.

View attachment 826666View attachment 826667
Wow. Great numbers. I think it has a lot to do with those summer tires too. I went down to 19” neuspeed forged wheels. Slightly less weight than those Martians you have. Continental Extreme plus AS tires. I LOVE the ride over the Uberturbines and noticed a significant acceleration increase. Under 60 mph my efficiency looks similar to yours but after 70-75 I’m 320+ wh/mile. They definitely are no help at higher speeds.

Reactions: yellowr6

View attachment 826666View attachment 826667
wheels look great. I'm getting 269 wh/mi on 21 uberturbines. Avg. speed is 47+/- with 37 miles round trip with highway at 65.

Reactions: MBx4 and yellowr6