Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range for 60 kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could give me the range they are getting on their 60 kWh model s. I am considering it and just wanted to find out if it would be enough. Thanks. Also does ayone have pictures of blue with grey? It would be much appreciated if someone could post those.
icon7.gif

Short version: It depends and the more details about your driving habits you provide, the closer to the actual number we could provide you...but in Cali you'll most likely get somewhere between 170 and 190.

Long version: Check out our trip from Seattle to LA and back: Log in | Tumblr

Short version: It depends and the more details about your driving habits you provide, the closer to the actual number we could provide you...but in Cali you'll most likely get somewhere between 170 and 190.

Long version: Check out our trip from Seattle to LA and back: Log in | Tumblr

Sure I would love to elaborate. I drive 20 miles roundtrip daily at around 65 or 70. Then maybe 30 miles of city driving later. I know that that isn't much but I really want to be able to take trips that around 400 500 miles.

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of range should I expect with the 85?

Just like MPG in a gas car, range will vary a LOT based on conditions and how you drive. HERE is a thread that examines many of the factors.

If you typically drive 65-70, and are in CA where it rarely gets very cold, you will generally get within, say, 15% of rated range. But elevation and wind can reduce it significantly; as could heavy rain or the occasional cold day. For trip planning purposes, my rule of thumb is to plan a charging stop within 2/3 of the rated range (you might decide you can skip it on a good day - but plan for it just in case). That's 139 miles in a 60, and 177 miles in an 85. It looks like there will be enough Superchargers in CA soon that that will rarely be a burden.

As opposed to the winter cold, the summer heat has been taking a toll even here in NorCal. Heavy A/C use, particularly after the car's parked out in the sun, is chipping away at my 60's range. All things being equal (driving style, terrain, etc.), that's been a big factor of late in making my lifetime average creep up in the past few weeks from 319 to 321 Wh/mile at 8,300 miles now. I've found it hard to keep it under 340 Wh/mile on any given day of late.

VRK, I think it is more relevant to consider where the nearest Superchargers are in relation to where you live.
If you have Superchargers in all directions from you and they are less than 100-150 miles from where you are most likely to go on a road trip, then you should be fine with 60 kwh.

On standard charge, I have gotten 180+ miles real world freeway driving easily with AC on (HVAC controls set to Range though).
I have not tried range mode yet accept once by accident (2 year old moved slider over on iphone app), that yielded over 230 miles rated range, I did not drive that one completely down, so I cannot comment on the real world range.

As opposed to the winter cold, the summer heat has been taking a toll even here in NorCal. Heavy A/C use, particularly after the car's parked out in the sun, is chipping away at my 60's range. All things being equal (driving style, terrain, etc.), that's been a big factor of late in making my lifetime average creep up in the past few weeks from 319 to 321 Wh/mile at 8,300 miles now. I've found it hard to keep it under 340 Wh/mile on any given day of late.

How long do you think it will take until the battery significantly degrades. And how much range do you think the car will lose. I plan on keeping this car for a long time.

How long do you think it will take until the battery significantly degrades. And how much range do you think the car will lose. I plan on keeping this car for a long time.

There's not enough data yet on any of this; the only BEV that has been around for 4+ years is the Tesla Roadster and owners have reported no more than 2-3% degradation in this time, I believe. Most have had only around 1-2%. The Model S has an even better battery management system so, I think we'll do much better over time.

I'm planning on keeping this for a long time as well so, I'd be happy with say, 10-15% degradation at the ten year mark. If Tesla succeeds as a company and is truly established by then, we should be able to get a much bigger capacity pack to swap to at that time.

There's not enough data yet on any of this; the only BEV that has been around for 4+ years is the Tesla Roadster and owners have reported no more than 2-3% degradation in this time, I believe. Most have had only around 1-2%. The Model S has an even better battery management system so, I think we'll do much better over time.

I'm planning on keeping this for a long time as well so, I'd be happy with say, 10-15% degradation at the ten year mark. If Tesla succeeds as a company and is truly established by then, we should be able to get a much bigger capacity pack to swap to at that time.

I think you have convinced me to go with the 60 :smile::smile:

My Roadster is almost 4 years old, with 40k miles. Going by the estimated miles after a charge, I have lost nearly 15% of my range. (If I run the battery down low driving nice, then charge it slowly, I can get it to say I've only lost 10%). I do seem to have worse results than most owners; I think most cars of similar age and miles have lost less than 10%. I don't really think it's anything I've done, just different packs are different.

That said, range loss should be worst the first year and decrease over time. And the Roadster batteries were really off-the-shelf, whereas the Model S batteries are custom and seem to have a longer design life. I would think Model S degradation would be less, but you never know.

Do you think that the 60 will work for road trips?

The 60 is fine for most people. I have checked the range depletion against the odometer and it is within 1-2%. Even driving highway speeds the range each day is about 186 miles on a normal charge, about 211 on a full charge. We have never come close to running out. My longer days are about 130 miles. To me the 60 is the most efficient way to go.

Do you think that the 60 will work for road trips?

I've gone to Palm Springs and San Diego with my 60. Just need to plan ahead on where you can charge (there are smartphone apps for that) in case you need them. There's a supercharger in Barstow for a trek to Vegas, and all along the 5 to SF. Also some kind folks have put their homes on said Apps as a place to charge in case you need a quick charge.

I guess it depends on where you are going, and whether they have chargers (or a 110v if you don't plan to use the car for a few days at your destination...which is what I did in PS).

The 60 is fine for most people. I have checked the range depletion against the odometer and it is within 1-2%. Even driving highway speeds the range each day is about 186 miles on a normal charge, about 211 on a full charge. We have never come close to running out. My longer days are about 130 miles. To me the 60 is the most efficient way to go.
I'm confused on what you mean when you say there is a 1-2 percent against the odometer

I did Montreal to Qc City (160 miles or 260 km) twice already with my family of 4 and luggage. Left with a full charge of 208 miles (335km) and arrived with 37 miles (60 km) of charge back and forth. So I did the rated even with 65-70 mph driving an extra weight. Weather was nice and the road is somewhat flat. Did I suffer from range anxiety, yes, but that's because there are no convenient charger in between the two pending the Tesal SC install by 2015.

I did Montreal to Qc City (160 miles or 260 km) twice already with my family of 4 and luggage. Left with a full charge of 208 miles (335km) and arrived with 37 miles (60 km) of charge back and forth. So I did the rated even with 65-70 mph driving an extra weight. Weather was nice and the road is somewhat flat. Did I suffer from range anxiety, yes, but that's because there are no convenient charger in between the two pending the Tesal SC install by 2015.

You state that there are no convenient chargers so then i assume that you don't know about the sun country installations in trois rivieres. If you do, then why do you not consider them to be convenient?

I'm confused on what you mean when you say there is a 1-2 percent against the odometer

I checked the depletion against the odometer for the first few long distance (130 mile) and driving at highway speeds. 65-75 mph. I wanted to see if the depletion was the same as the actual miles traveled and what I found was that it was extremely close. For the most part, if the depletion showed 120 miles, the actual miles was between the 120 and about 116, which means the RATED MILES were almost exact. I am sure if I was driving much slower around town, they would probably be exact. Another thing I noticed is that some days the Rate Miles show 184 and some days 189. I think it has to do with the driving habits of the previous day(s). Anyway, I trust the rated miles now.