Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range for the 60 / 75 / 85 / 90 (New and Used)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have been an active reader of this TMC for the last year or so and am very close to purchasing a Tesla Model S. The number one factor that I care about is range. I'm also pretty frugal, which rules out ordering a P100D and being done with it.

One question that I'm struggling with is the difference in range between, let's say, a CPO 85 and a new 90D. Technically it's only a difference of 5 kWh, but that doesn't factor in battery degradation or other real-world aspects of the difference between those two kinds of cars.

Does anyone know of a resource that has detailed information on both the rated and real-world reported range of various models of the Tesla Model S?

I can only speak to my 70D which was rated at 240 and depending on conditions it is pretty accurate now 25k miles later I have lost 2-3 miles of range to 237-8 currently. I would check out the Tesla forum as well as good info there. My advice is if you can afford it go for the 90. More range and a faster charge too.

Regardless of new or used, you should factor in about 20-30% loss of original rated range versus your max need. While most used ones have lost less then 10% so far, 20-30% should give you a good enough buffer to cover you for most of the car's life.

The last thing you want to do is buy a new car where you will need 90% of the charge right off the bat. You'll be hurting later on. So if you have a need to drive more then say 150 miles between charges, then a 60 won't be for you, but a 75 or higher will be just fine.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
First off, range varies a lot depending on your foot, weather, anxiety, etc. etc. Especially etc. There are huge differences in lifetime Wh/mi usages for different drivers, all controllable by the human, who often says he/she is unable to drive differently than all the lemmings around him/her.

I owned an 85. I also like to drive (about 30K miles a year), and some of the places I drive still have no Superchargers on my route. By staying at motels with 14-50 outlets, I can make long jumps and do OK. But long range is really helpful.

It has been said, but not published, that the range on the 90D increased 6% going up from 85kWh to 90kWh, and another 6% using range mode with 4 wheel drive. Range also increases several percent when you slow down small amounts.

The jump from, lets say, Boise, ID, up (in elevation) to Winnemucca, NV, is difficult in an 85, even keeping it at 55 mph. In a 90D, I can do 65 on cruise and AP and make it. When my battery degrades a few percent, I can slow down to 63 mph.

A 100D would give you another 10%, but they really are putting in more chargers, and you can often arrange to charge at your overnight stops. But buying a 60, no D, and ignoring that there will be degradation, is really asking for problems going down the road.

First off, range varies a lot depending on your foot, weather, anxiety, etc. etc. Especially etc. There are huge differences in lifetime Wh/mi usages for different drivers, all controllable by the human, who often says he/she is unable to drive differently than all the lemmings around him/her.

Thanks roblab. As a Nissan Leaf owner, I'm well aware of the variables (human and environment) that go into range on a given trip.

That being said, I'm just trying to gather information that's strictly related to the vehicle itself, both new and a few years out. I appreciate your comment about the difference between an 85 and 90D on that particular trip.

We have a P85 with 32K miles on it. We picked it up with 19K miles. And from day one, it has always charged to 233/234 at 90% and about 260 at 100%. We have seen no degradation in the 13K miles that we have driven the car. However, I have seen 85's that only charge into the low teens. So if you are looking at a CPO, I would make sure that you get a charge number at 90% and 100%.

90D will have advantage in that dual motor is more efficient. Not only does it have 5kwh more capacity but it will also provide better range by being more efficient. That being said, CPO S85 is the best deal. I bought a 60D and am waiting for delivery (and am a LEAF owner) but I feel that is sufficient range for me. Time will tell. The 60D allows for 100% charge (its a 75kwh battery). So if you want to be most frugal but also want a new car, consider it. I did calculations for a road trip my family does often and the 60D with charge time wasn't that much slower than the 90D (which could only skip one more supercharger than the 60D), so 35 minutes saved for nearly 20k difference).

Hi all,

I have been an active reader of this TMC for the last year or so and am very close to purchasing a Tesla Model S. The number one factor that I care about is range. I'm also pretty frugal, which rules out ordering a P100D and being done with it.

One question that I'm struggling with is the difference in range between, let's say, a CPO 85 and a new 90D. Technically it's only a difference of 5 kWh, but that doesn't factor in battery degradation or other real-world aspects of the difference between those two kinds of cars.

Does anyone know of a resource that has detailed information on both the rated and real-world reported range of various models of the Tesla Model S?
I can only speak for my current 60, getting traded in for a 90D. Few weeks ago, I went to the Bengals Cleveland game in Cincinnati. From the Hilton Hotel 1/2 mile from the stadium to Grover Supercharger is 101 miles. I was doing 65 mph, 70 degree weather (winds closed) with two adults in the car. The car read 103 miles of battery left (cruise control on). Cold winter months different story. Warm the car up when cold 25-30 range gone. Driving the car in say in the teens, normal range of 200 (what car shows) is now mmm maybe 165 range. Why I went with a 90D.

Hello All,
We own our 60S now for almost 6 weeks and I have to say I'm shocked at the mileage rating, (granted we didn't adjust our driving style from previous (non EV), vehicles).
After a full charge of about 208 miles (good thing we can charge the 60 almost always at a 100%), all we get out of it is about 155 actual miles:confused:.

Can this be right?

Hello All,
We own our 60S now for almost 6 weeks and I have to say I'm shocked at the mileage rating, (granted we didn't adjust our driving style from previous (non EV), vehicles).
After a full charge of about 208 miles (good thing we can charge the 60 almost always at a 100%), all we get out of it is about 155 actual miles:confused:.

Can this be right?

What is your lifetime (or just daily) Wh/mi. I also have an s60 (since August) and my lifetime wh/mi is ~318. Is yours closer to 350?

Hello democappy

our lifetime is 345. When we got the vehicle we could charge to 217. Now it's almost never over 208.
But I don't think it makes any difference.
It's also gotten colder (around 40 this morning), so the battery feels it, I think.

Have a S70. Took deliver in Oct 2015. There were a few firmware updates that increased efficiency and my 90% charge range. My 90% charge peaked at 215 and stayed there for most of this year. After about 15K miles and about 1 year, the 90% has reduced to 214.
I know you did not ask for the specifics for a 70, but thought I'd throw it in. I dont drive aggressively and my lifetime wh/mi is 308

Hello democappy

our lifetime is 345. When we got the vehicle we could charge to 217. Now it's almost never over 208.
But I don't think it makes any difference.
It's also gotten colder (around 40 this morning), so the battery feels it, I think.

Yep. The cold is killing my range as well. I am finding on my commute in the morning I am getting closer to that 350 wh/mi range if not worse. The combination of the battery not letting me do full recharge plus the heater sucking up energy has a pretty big impact even at just 50 degrees. My commute is only ~10 miles so I never give it a chance to get completely warmed up which would help over a longer drive. At the same time since my commute is really short, range has never been something I cared about.

My degradation is definitely less than yours. I don't have the D, so my max is only 209, but I have only lost 2% (4-5 miles) so far.

Ok, So please Help me with this I have a 2013 Tesla P85: Today I charged to 100%(247 miles)....I try and do it once every 3 months. Drove 125 miles at 265wh/m....when I stopped I had 30% battery left....this tells me I wouldn't even make it 200 miles! How is this possible? I thought If I drove under 300wh/m I should get at least the rated miles? Can I call tesla and have them do a test, or get my battery replaced? Miles on car is 85K.