Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range has never been close to 320 [2019 - rated range complaint]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says... my brand new long range Tesla Model 3 started with an estimated range of 280 miles, which I assumed was maybe because it wasn’t actually fully charged. But after a few days of driving and charging, it still never gets above 280. Is this an issue? Could I have a faulty battery?

On the charging screen, make sure the slider is all the way to the right. Charge it once to see what your range is, then slide it back to around 70% and leave it there for everyday usage. I've had my car for a year and a half and I've only charged it fully twice, both times when I was about to head out on a long trip. It's better for the batter NOT to charge fully every day.

Reactions: SigNC
I suggest you do a search, as there is numerous threads on this subject. But in short no its not a faulty battery.
I did a search, but what is difficult to figure out—because people are saying all sorts of different things—is whether the claimed 320 miles should be expected ONLY on a full charge, or if that is what you should get with the recommended 90% charge. From your reply I’m guessing it’s the former.

I did a search, but what is difficult to figure out—because people are saying all sorts of different things—is whether the claimed 320 miles should be expected ONLY on a full charge, or if that is what you should get with the recommended 90% charge. From your reply I’m guessing it’s the former.
I typically show 290 on 90% charge and 323 at 100%. This morning it was 287 at 90%. My car has 21,000 miles. Long range RWD with 18" aero wheels.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Full charge. Have you read the manual?

PS: Yes, there are a ton of threads on here by people nervous about their range. First time EV owners are going through an entirely new experience, and it is normal to be hyper attentive and hyper sensitive. Add to that the fact that most people do not get a thorough briefing on delivery, or are maybe too excited to pay full attention. The "rated" range is what you get at 100% when the car is new. A normal battery will drop down ~ 5% over the first 18 months or so. Some faster than others. Then it will stabilize. I have a 2012 that has had the same rated range from 2013 to now. There's also something affectionately referred to as "vampire drain" where the car's electronics use battery power even when you are not driving. So, your charging can complete at, say 1am, and you can get in your car at 8am and it will have already "used" 3 or 4 miles.

My best advice: learn, but don't worry!

Last edited:
Reactions: DrtyJrze
Please do not charge daily to 100% to get the highest range. Batteries like to be in the middle of their charge level. Tesla says there is nothing wrong with 90%. If you have a 310 mile range, that would read 310 * .9 or about 279 miles (what you are seeing). Looks like they may now be upping the range slightly with newer software, so you may eventually get better than 279 at 90%. Not this is an EPA "rated" mileage and is under idea environments, just like the EPA mpg rating is.

BTW, this forum is full of anxiety and worry over mileage range and battery degradation. I wouldn't get stressed over what you read here. The Tesla battery pack has continually shown to be the best in the business. Antidotally, it appears only a small percentage have real issues but it does happen just like with regular cars. The recommendation is to simply drive it and enjoy it. Personally, I like to have the charge in percentage instead of miles as that is what most are used to with a gas gauge.

To better know your expected range, there is an "energy" app in the app drawer located in the bottom of your screen. It will show what your expected rage is based on your driving style and environment. It will take into account over the past 5, 15, or 30 miles how hard you press the accelerator, how many hills you went up (and down), how cold or hot it is, and if you use the AC, heater, etc. That will be a MUCH better predictor how many miles you can expect out of your current "tank".

As the title says... my brand new long range Tesla Model 3 started with an estimated range of 280 miles, which I assumed was maybe because it wasn’t actually fully charged. But after a few days of driving and charging, it still never gets above 280. Is this an issue? Could I have a faulty battery?

Have you made a 300 mile trip at 55-60 mph? Try it, you'll believe that it is readily available. (But only when temps above 60F)

• Funny
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
I have been looking for the same answer. My brand new m3p which is supposed to have a 310 mile range, only shows 291 miles at full charge. Its kinda a bummer it doesn't charge to 310 miles at full but overall I still love the car, just seems odd it never could get close to 310. I wouldn't complain if it was just a few miles off like I see posted everywhere, but this is 20 miles...

• Love
I have been looking for the same answer. My brand new m3p which is supposed to have a 310 mile range, only shows 291 miles at full charge. Its kinda a bummer it doesn't charge to 310 miles at full but overall I still love the car, just seems odd it never could get close to 310. I wouldn't complain if it was just a few miles off like I see posted everywhere, but this is 20 miles...

Change your wheels in the settings and you will see your range go up. Seams like they raised the rated Wh/mi for 20" rims to around 270 Wh/mi.

Please see this post & thread. You actually likely have had your range increased even though the number has gone down, because each rated mile now contains a lot more energy.

Model 3 Performance - charged to 100% shows 293 miles range. Why?

rated Wh/mi for 20" rims to around 270 Wh/mi.

The line is at 270Wh/mi, but the value used for calculation (the charging constant) is 265Wh/rmi with 20” wheels for 2020 Model 3 vehicles, starting with software version 2019.40.50.1. There is always a difference of 5Wh/mi for reasons only known to Tesla. It’s possible you use 270Wh/mi to determine the “true” capacity. This also may give Tesla some margin to not accidentally overcharge for kWh at Superchargers, if actual kWh added to the battery are greater than those displayed on the screen.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks so much for the help finding it. For what its worth, so far the rated miles seem extra conservative. I seem to hover around 245/250 wh/mi even with the less efficient wheels.

I love this car so much! I haven't felt like this since I turned 16 and got my first car.