Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range hit with aftermarket wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I have seen many comparisons of range differences between 18” aeros on vs 18” aeros off (seems to be close to 4-5% from a few findings online).

My question is regarding the difference between 18” aeros on vs aftermarket 18” rims. I am keeping the same tires that came with my Model 3. Below is the link to the wheels I am purchasing.

Does anyone know if the range with aftermarket wheels below will be roughly equivalent to taking the aeros off? I’m inclined to think so but would like some other opinions. Thank you!

I have aftermarket wheels using the original tires and mine are heavier than the stock wheels. My non scientific answer to your question is, I can't tell any difference in range or acceleration. Physics tells me that with heavier wheels there absolutely will be some hit in acceleration and range but the reality of my driving over thee past eight months tells me I can't tell the damn difference. Now I always hated the aero covers so I took them off the first day so I'm comparing the stock 18 inch wheels to the aftermarket wheels with the same tires. IMHO if you want new wheels because you like the way the car will look with them then just go get them and don't worry about the range hit.

Reactions: tren01t
-Tesla's 18" wheels without aero covers on weigh 21.6 lb
-These Tsportline aftermarket wheels weigh 21 lb

Does that mean the Tsportline wheels will be slightly more efficient than the 18" with aeros off?

From a weight standpoint, yes. Another difference is the Tsportline wheels have a +35 offset vs +40 on aero wheels (they stick outwards 5mm more). Most people prefer this look though the more it sticks out, the less aerodynamic it becomes. I believe this is the reason why Tesla kept the wheel more inside the wheel well vs flush.

Overall I don't think you would notice any difference.

Thank you everyone for your help and confirming I don't have much (if anything) to worry about range loss between non-aero 18"s and these 18" aftermarket TSTs!

I recently did a wheel upgrade on my P3D- (Stealth) and didn't notice a measurable change in efficiency.

From: Stock 18" Aeros with aero caps removed, 42 psi cold
To: T-Sportline 19" TSS Flow Forged w/ Continental ProContact RX tires (package), 41 psi cold

I think the rubber may make a big difference, and the Contis seem very efficient.

Fun potential confounding factor- many folks change wheels/tires by season.

Efficiency is significantly worse when it's cold.

So it'd be entirely possible for someone in a Tesla to run X wh/mi in the winter with Tire A, and then not see any difference switching to tire B when it's getting warmer.... where they'd have actually seen significant improvement in efficiency if they'd NOT changed tires/wheels at all.

Did you figure out if you did? Any change to the tires used?

I have not seen any noticeable change in my range since I have switched so I am happy with my decision :)

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 8.22.48 AM.png

The 19” TST rims are really heavy at 29 lbs - much heavier than even the factory Tesla 19” Sport wheels (around 25 lbs).

It's possible T-Sportline made some improvements in weight reduction since this post in 2019, however 29lbs for 19" TST's is incorrect. 19" TST's weigh 24.4lbs, therefore they are technically 0.6lbs lighter than the 19" Tesla Sport Wheels.
Tesla Model 3 Wheels-19" TST Tesla Wheel (Set of 4) - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

It's possible T-Sportline made some improvements in weight reduction since this post in 2019, however 29lbs for 19" TST's is incorrect. 19" TST's weigh 24.4lbs, therefore they are technically 0.6lbs lighter than the 19" Tesla Sport Wheels.
Tesla Model 3 Wheels-19" TST Tesla Wheel (Set of 4) - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

I believe the TST's pre-2020 were cast wheels and heavier than the current flow forged version which is lighter. As far as I remember, the 19" and 20" TSTs were the only cast wheels in their lineup but they switched over to flow forging some time last year.