Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range impacts of glass roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland
I'm trying to decide whether to go with the glass roof or not. My main thing is I'm an efficiency nut and it surely adds extra weight. I'm trying to figure out how much the impact would be - do these numbers look right?

Standard car windshield: ~25kg?
Glass roof: ~100kg?
Standard roof panels: ~20kg?
Difference: ~80kg?
Mass increase: ~5%?
Highway mileage decrease: ~1,5%? So, 3mi/5km?

Does this sound reasonable to people here?

I don't think for a 3 the panel (glass roof) is that large. Most of the 'glass' you see is in the back panel (rear window) that you get anyway, so 220 pounds/100kg is way high. And in any case, isn't the real question, do you want the other things in the Premium pack, or have you already decided that you don't want any of them?

Reactions: ChadS
I don't think for a 3 the panel (glass roof) is that large. Most of the 'glass' you see is in the back panel (rear window) that you get anyway, so 220 pounds/100kg is way high. And in any case, isn't the real question, do you want the other things in the Premium pack, or have you already decided that you don't want any of them?

The others are nice, but they're not worth $5k. The glass roof is the driving incentive for me, the others are "Yeah,those would be great too" things.

As for how much makes up the top vs. the rear window, that's a good question. Where is the cutoff, really?

tesla_model3_roof.jpg

Remember, this also adds power seats, which can be pretty heavy compared to manual seats. That's another potential hit.

Personally, that glass roof is brilliant for us here in hail country. Roof damage is often the most difficult to repair. Worst case with this is the roof gets shattered and I get a pretty new one, after some extensive cleanup and interior water remediation.

Remember, this also adds power seats, which can be pretty heavy compared to manual seats. That's another potential hit.

Personally, that glass roof is brilliant for us here in hail country. Roof damage is often the most difficult to repair. Worst case with this is the roof gets shattered and I get a pretty new one, after some extensive cleanup and interior water remediation.
Lol, that’s a pretty bad worst case scenario.

I still think it's better than driving around with a golf-ball roof on a totaled car, which is what most folks around here end up doing. Getting all those dings out of a roof are almost impossible, while the hood and the trunk lids can be removed and replaced. Side damage is usually pretty minimal.

Lol, we don't get hail here. Well, we get what we call hail (hagl), but it's properly graupel (ice pellets) - falls like pea-sized spherical things forming a snow-like blanket on the ground, rather than big balls of ice. Our big weather damage risk is wind.

I'm not finding any thread that deliniates where the optional part starts. If it's small enough then it's not worth $5k. I can add aftermarket seat heaters and the like for cheap. And yeah, I certainly wouldn't add significant extra weight for power seats. Never had them, never really saw the point to them.

ED: (as per above) Lol, if that's all that's not glass, and it's not implemented as an eyesore (aka gloss black or whatnot), then it's not worth $5k for the options package. I'll just add aftermarket seat heaters and mirror heaters for a few hundred dollars. Wow, I may not be spending any money on options at all. Score ;)

Seriously, that's almost a humorously small amount of glass to leave out. Wonder if it might be able to pick up that piece in salvage and have it installed a couple years down the line....

Estimated weight of sheet metal (steel) between windscreen and rear window would be around 5-10kg
Glass roof option (glass+silicone, minus headliner) would be around 12-18kg.
If it would open, that would almost double the weight.