Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range in app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The difference between 70 and 80 mph is quite surprising, something to do with the maths of air resistance increasing non-linearly with speed. In short, you will squeeze a lot more out at 70 than 80, even more at 60. I can only presume that this is why I often notice EVs on the inside lane being driven by owners sporting imaginary halos or the look of fear on their face as they dice with it to make it to their next charger.

Just done a rough and ready approximate plot of speed versus power needed to overcome aerodynamic drag for the Model 3. I used a projected frontal area of 2.22m² and a value for Cd of 0.23. The plot shows clearly how the power needed, and hence drain from the battery pack, rises with speed:

Model 3 drag.jpg

Indeed, but careful that halo doesn’t fall off and choke you.

It’s all very well and good knowing the theory, but I only truly accepted it when I did the experiment for myself looking at the energy graph for multiple 10 or 30 mile stretches on a trip at various constant speeds. Good to know if one is anxious about completing a journey across a supercharger desert in the freezing cold.

Thankfully, I rarely need to worry about it. Even though the car might be quite inefficient, there is usually enough to get me to the next pit stop at an interval that I would normally be stopping at in an ICE car anyway. The big exception for me is rural Wales (or anywhere west of Sarn) which sometimes requires quite a bit of ABRPage.

Last edited:
There will be a "sweet spot" speed for best range, as what matters is energy use per unit distance, rather than energy use per unit time. Not sure where that might be, but would guess that it's probably somewhere between about 30mph and 50mph. I know that the sweet spot for the Prius was around 50mph, any faster and energy use rose fairly sharply, any slower and there was a very gradual increase in fuel consumption per unit distance. In practice, slowing right down to about 30mph didn't have a massive impact, but driving faster than about 55mph definitely did.

You are correct. The range estimater should give you the rated range of the car. This is what Tesla states, very clearly. It is a flaw, apparently common. You are also correct in that almost no one here addressed your question, but rather answered another question you did not ask.

It’s should show range, but EPA range which is not the WLTP range the cars are advertised with, so there will always be a difference. Secondly BMS calibration drifts over time, it can be helped by leaving the car at lower states of charge over night periodically so the BMS has a range of good data points across the charge level spectrum.

You are correct. The range estimater should give you the rated range of the car. This is what Tesla states, very clearly. It is a flaw, apparently common. You are also correct in that almost no one here addressed your question, but rather answered another question you did not ask.
The second post of this 6 page thread was the correct answer, this is a UK subforum and it's quite common for people to be confused when their cars are new as they are advertised using the WLTP range, but the cars show their EPA range (which is lower and more accurate) on the GOM.

Thanks for dropping by, hello from the UK.