TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Range increase driving with mirrors folded?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by ratsbew, Feb 13, 2016.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Has anyone done a test to see if the Wh/mile decreases at highway speed with the mirrors retracted? I'm really curious to see if you could fold them to get an extra mile or two in a pinch if you need it.

2. liuping

liuping Active Member

I tried it once, but could not detect any noticeable change in the power used per mile on the highway.

It is noisier, so It's probably worse. They stick out less, but are not as are dynamic when folded.

3. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

This is kind of what I was expecting. Too bad they don't fold 90 degrees to form a little bump.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The mirrors don't fold in all that far and they present a flat frontal area when folded, so I wouldn't expect any significant change.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

I have less noise with my mirrors folded in.

6. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I've done some testing on this and couldn't see a change in energy consumption. I'd agree with others that the benefit gained by having less frontal area exposed to the slipstream is offset by a less aerodynamic shape exposed to the slipstream.

In other words, the smaller frontal area is offset mostly by a higher coefficient of drag. It's possible that driving with mirrors folded is actually worse.