Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range increase in 2019 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since taking delivery of my MS in 6/2019 I had steadily lost range from 333 new (it was never at the stated 335 even at 23 miles) down to as low as 298 miles. During this time I contacted Tesla twice and was always told there was no real problem other than BMS calibration, and that some range loss was normal. They suggested that I use scheduled charging so as to to let the car set a few hours before charging and not immediately after use, and to let it set in various states of charge instead of charging every day. None of this seemed to help much and a few months ago my range dropped to 298.

So, after reading a report on this forum that suggested charging to no more than 50 - 55% for daily driving, I began charging only to 50% once I got down to 20%. Now three weeks into this regiment my range has popped back up to 313 miles, and is higher than it has been in over a year. Since home charging is as easy as plugging into the wall charger this is no big deal, and I am going to continue with this method unless I need to charge up for a longer trip. I am curious to see where it tops out.

You need to occasionally do a full 100% charge to really know where it’s at. I wouldn’t trust either figure. I also think it’s smart to not do 90% regularly, as many do, but I think 50% is excessive.

So I charge to 80% (and occasionally to 100%) and have lost maybe 6 miles in 27K miles and 27 months. I just charged to 100% the other day and got 324 miles. It shipped with 326 but they upped it to like 330. 2019 Model X. I have not seen 1 mile lost in the last year.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverString