Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range increase (split from Master Thread: 2019.40.2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, and what does that show? That in the past they retroactively increased the range of the RWD LR... But you weren't talking about RWD cars.

Nowhere has Tesla said that existing AWD cars would get more range. But, newer cars are rated for more range, as updated EPA filings and the Tesla order page have shown.

The did retroactively change the AWD range, from 310 to 322.

You asked if Tesla has ever said anything about increased range. I showed you the link. Musk said as much in his Q3 results conference call.

The did retroactively change the AWD range, from 310 to 322.

Really? I haven't seen anyone report that. I have just seen lots of people, like you, complaining that they got a new firmware update and still haven't seen a range increase...

You asked if Tesla has ever said anything about increased range. I showed you the link. Musk said as much in his Q3 results conference call.

I was only referring to your claim of the increase for AWD. Which you haven't shown anything for. (And no Elon did not say they were increasing the range on the LR AWD fleet during the 2019Q3 call.)

• Disagree
Reactions: MikeS1 and dandrewk
Really? I haven't seen anyone report that. I have just seen lots of people, like you, complaining that they got a new firmware update and still haven't seen a range increase...

I was only referring to your claim of the increase for AWD. Which you haven't shown anything for. (And no Elon did not say they were increasing the range on the LR AWD fleet during the 2019Q3 call.)

It would be great if you got your facts straight before posting.

First of all, not once have I complained, here or anywhere else, about not getting increased range from the update. It was YOU who claimed there wasn't any reference to the purported range increase. In spite of the range for AWD increasing from 310 to 322 on Tesla's web page. In spite of the the link that I supplied, which I guess you never followed.

Lastly, YES Elon DID say they are increasing the range for all cars, all trims:

Musk Promises To Increase Tesla Model 3, S And X Range: But Why?

I get that you are skeptical, but that's your thing, not mine. Maybe you don't believe that any real range increased has occurred or will occur and that Elon is full of it. I really don't care.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Judders and MP3Mike
It would be great if you got your facts straight before posting.

First of all, not once have I complained, here or anywhere else, about not getting any firmware update. And seriously, just because you haven't been keeping up to date isn't an excuse to blame others who point out current events.

You're right there, I thought you were the person who said the update didn't increase the range of their LR AWD. Sorry for that confusion on my part.

In spite of the range for AWD increasing from 310 to 322 on Tesla's web page. In spite of the the link that I supplied, which I guess you never followed.

Lastly, YES Elon DID say they are increasing the range for all cars, all trims:

Musk Promises To Increase Tesla Model 3, S And X Range: But Why?

I get that you are skeptical, but that's your thing, not mine. Maybe you don't believe that any real range increased has occurred and that Elon is full of it. I really don't care.

But here you are wrong again. While the article says that, Elon did not actually say that. Even in what they quote he only talked about a 5% power increase which people have actually gotten.

Yes, new 2020 Model 3 LR AWD cars have more range, but existing 2019 and older ones are not getting that range increase. (At least they haven't yet, and again nobody from Tesla, or Elon, has said that they will.)

The article says: "According to The Motley Fool transcription of the analysts' call, Elon Musk promised to increase the range of all the cars by up to 5 percent. Have a look at what he said:"

But then the portion of the call that they quoted is: "I mean, Model S – basic Model S at this point has a range of 370 miles. Actually, technically it's 373, but we actually certified it incorrectly as 370, but it's 373. And there are some software improvements that we think will make that even better. I forgot to mention, we're also expecting there's going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That's, by the way coming in a few weeks. Should be in the order of 5 percent power improvement due to improved firmware. Drew, do you want to say anything on that?"

InsideEVs said more range, but that didn't happen. Elon said more power, and more power was actually delivered.

I don't get why people confuse range with power...

You're right there, I thought you were the person who said the update didn't increase the range of their LR AWD. Sorry for that confusion on my part.

But here you are wrong again. While the article says that, Elon did not actually say that. Even in what they quote he only talked about a 5% power increase which people have actually gotten.

Yes, new 2020 Model 3 LR AWD cars have more range, but existing 2019 and older ones are not getting that range increase. (At least they haven't yet, and again nobody from Tesla, or Elon, has said that they will.)

The article says: "According to The Motley Fool transcription of the analysts' call, Elon Musk promised to increase the range of all the cars by up to 5 percent. Have a look at what he said:"

But then the portion of the call that they quoted is: "I mean, Model S – basic Model S at this point has a range of 370 miles. Actually, technically it's 373, but we actually certified it incorrectly as 370, but it's 373. And there are some software improvements that we think will make that even better. I forgot to mention, we're also expecting there's going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That's, by the way coming in a few weeks. Should be in the order of 5 percent power improvement due to improved firmware. Drew, do you want to say anything on that?"

InsideEVs said more range, but that didn't happen. Elon said more power, and more power was actually delivered.

I also don't understand why people are confusing the two.

Elon never said anything about a 5% range increase, he said power and we all got the 5% power update a month ago. The additional range is only for the newer Model 3's, as you said, and is likely due to hardware changes that have been made over time that have increased efficiency by 4% to 322 miles.

I also don't understand why people are confusing the two.

Elon never said anything about a 5% range increase, he said power and we all got the 5% power update a month ago. The additional range is only for the newer Model 3's, as you said, and is likely due to hardware changes that have been made over time that have increased efficiency by 4% to 322 miles.

I have a 2020 and mine still just shows 310 miles when fully charged. Hopefully they push an update that bumps it to 322 unless it's just a change to how the range is calculated and not an actual increase in efficiency.

Reactions: Tholland
I have a 2020 and mine still just shows 310 miles when fully charged. Hopefully they push an update that bumps it to 322 unless it's just a change to how the range is calculated and not an actual increase in efficiency.

Didn't you get a stealth performance Model 3? Performance cars still only get 310 miles. Plain jane AWD Model 3s are now rated for 322.

So you aren't likely to see any change.

Didn't you get a stealth performance Model 3? Performance cars still only get 310 miles. Plain jane AWD Model 3s are now rated for 322.

So you aren't likely to see any change.

The 310 on the full performance is from the penalty of having large wheels. The EPA actually rates the range of a stealth with 18 inch aero wheels HIGHER than a regular AWD with 18 inch aero wheels.

I don’t understand why you don’t get no one was complaining. Second I don’t think any LONG RANGE AWD is showing range over 310. None of them as of yet. If not that would be because That update has not been release yet. People were just wondering. I did not confide range and performance. Just chill.

Last edited:
It would awesome if they found new tech or updated something that gave more range. I’m down for that. I was just wondering. We are more than happy with BOTH of our model 3s ( LRDM and P3D+) no complaints. Just because someone makes a statement doesn’t mean it’s a complaint. Some people are GENERALLY CURIOUS about things. You know like, “I wonder what the weather is going to be today” vs “damn I hate when it snows” totally different. Good day

I agree with the bigger wheels and sticker tires for sure. But the Performance one being rated higher with 18s than the AWD IS INTERESTING. I to would like to read more about that if you have the info. That’s not what one would expect.
The 2020 AWD & Performance w/18's are rated the same. But are higher rated than the 2018 & 2019 AWD w/18's.
Not sure if this link will work correctly: Compare Side-by-Side