TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Range increase while parked?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Brass Guy, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

After charging to 90% last night, and today driving about 160 miles, I made a stop about 8 miles from home with rated range indicating 77 miles.
    I sat in the car listening to the radio maybe 15 minutes, range indicated 76 miles.
    I finished my last errand after about an hour and started driving again. After about .5 mile, at a stop light I happened to notice 80 miles range.

I rarely get much below 50% SOC.
    Has anybody else seen this... uhm... is there an antonym for "vampire drain?"

2. rsanchez

rsanchez Member

Did you notice a substantial change in the outside air temp?

3. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

Temps were consistently in the low 60's. Climate control was off all day.

4. ABVA

ABVA Member

Given that the gain was not significant, Could it be the terrain? Maybe you were loosing altitude or going downhill. Which could be determined if you have VisbleTesla installed.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Gain after parking happens to me sometimes. My take on why is that the only time the SOC is actually measured is on start up. The rest of the time it's estimated by calculation, so when starting the next time it may be higher or lower than the calculated number.

6. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

Thanks Jerry. I have not seen that before, but also haven't driven far and taken a break without charging either. Your explanation sounds plausible.