Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range increase without Uberturbines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Freewheeler

Vendor
Supporting Member
May 22, 2020
New York
Do we know if the range of a PUP goes up if we put non-PUP wheels & tires on or is there some other factor causing the drop in range with the full package? Would like to know before I commit to a new set of wheels and tires to replace my Ubers.

I haven't found one except an Out of Spec video using 7.5" Martians on an M3P and it was a considerable increase according to them. I just wasn't sure if it was only the wheels that reduce range, or aero due to lowered suspension, software, or a combination. If anyone has a link it would be appreciated, or maybe I'll just order a set and make one myself one of these days.

You're right, it's going to depend on multiple factors, wheel and tire width, offset, weight, and construction. Suspension lowering and wheel design that affect aero resistance. Even how much weight with passengers+cargo, head vs tail winds, rain, etc. Just to say, difficult to quantify unless comparing on a track same day. As I recall, even the out of spec guy mentioned how the ambient temperature and state of charge was different at different times of their track testing day. More aerodynamic wheels help at highway speeds, and lighter wheels help at city (stop and go) speeds, but may hurt at highway speeds if they have an open design that's less aerodynamic.

My rated range went up to 315mi with 20s. I didn’t have 21s long enough to compare efficiency.
2ADCE856-3E27-4E3F-BAF0-757461F8339E.jpeg
08478A13-CCDD-45E4-AE1E-2A654592C5CD.jpeg
C6CEDD78-E6F6-4C74-9781-AD8DB812B51A.jpeg

I have the 21s and have measured efficiency under reasonably controlled conditions. I am hoping to receive my 19" Martian wheels next week and I already have Bridgestone Quiettrack tires ordered. The Quiettracks are rated "Very Good" for rolling resistance by Consumer Reports. I'll test the 19"s when i get them and post the results.

Reactions: preilly44
My rated range went up to 315mi with 20s

What width 20’s did you install and what tires?

I am hoping to receive my 19" Martian wheels next week

What width Martian’s did you order? They’re one of the contenders on my list. Considering whether to go staggered or not, leaning to unstaggered for practical considerations (Being able to rotate them, etc.).

I think the decrease in range from the PUP comes from the weight of the Uberturbines and the sticky Pirelli tires. I believe the motors and battery etc. are all the same as they used to offer the stealth performance Ys and they were rated at 315 miles vs the 316 of the LR model. I've got 19" rims coming but won't really be able to test because they will have Pirelli Sotozero winter tires on them.