TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Range indicators?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by maggo321, Sep 5, 2017.

1. maggo321

maggo321 Member

Hi all, just really got to start using my new MS, and was wondering which one of the range indicators is more likely to be accurate. ie range on small display behind steering wheel shows 118 miles however range on sat nav shows 91 miles to my destination, arriving with just 2% charge remaining.
    The question is have I really got 118 miles left or 91+2%, say 95 miles? Which is most probably right? Will I get to my destination?!!

2. Zextraterrestrial

#2 Zextraterrestrial, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    95 is most likely more accurate based on 'average' travel speeds on your route
    118 is the 'rated' miles which correlates to something like 295 Whr/mile
    depending on speed/temperature/wind,. It is very possible to match the rated range or do better...I typically do not in the area where I live...hilly ~55-65F year round & I typically drive a bit too fast
    I recommend keeping ~6% or so predicted at destination that way you can speed up a tad near the end when you are sure you have enough range or if there is an unforseen detour or some crazy wind you will be ok. You can always slow down if you wont make it but driving too slow may be unsafe

• Like x 1