Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range inquiry [miles traveled vs. miles left]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone for your replies. How do I know if I have a 120V/15A or 120V/20A outlet? The plug that comes with the most recent mobile charger is a 5-15? It is ok to use a 5-15 receptacle with a 120V/20A outlet or the other way around?
By design you can use the NEMA 5-15 plug adapter with a NEMA 5-20 receptacle but you can't plug a NEMA 5-20 plug adapter into a 5-15 receptacle. Most receptacles would be two-outlet receptacles, depending on the age of the home a receptacle located in a garage would be a ground fault circuit interrupt (GFCI) receptacle.

NEMA 5-15 Receptacle

NEMA 5-20 Receptacle

We've had our Tesla Model Y long range for about two weeks. We love it but are a bit disappointed with range, more specifically, miles traveled vs. miles left.

For example, Thursday night we charged to 222mi. We traveled 91 miles, however we lost 140 miles (at 82miles now). I understand that there are many factors involved, but about 49 miles of range loss is a bit high I think. We live in Maryland. We were playing the radio and sometimes spotify and roughly half the time had the climate set to 68F. Fan at level 2 I believe.

My question is, is this normal? Actually, just having it parked, it lost 1mi (down to 81mi). Perhaps there is some setting we have set that we don't really have to that would be using up the battery?

Thanks and I can provide more detail if needed.
I share your frustration as that is also my frustration with my Model Y LR. I find it typically gets 30% less range that what the display shows (the rated range). If you use 33%, another way to think about it is that every mile you drive uses 1.5 miles of range. So that 91 miles would use 137 miles of range, which is pretty close to your experience. That makes the calculation easier. Say if you have to drive 120 miles to your destination, you would need to have 180 miles of range left to get there (roughly).

In my quick skim of the responses I didn't see a couple of factors. I think a big factor is how fast you drive. You'd get far more range driving at 55 mph than at 75 mph. But then who buys a Tesla to go 55 mph, especially when all the cars around you are going over 70mph? Hills can make a big difference as well. We go from San Jose to Truckee CA (at 6,000 ft elevation) regularly, a distance of 227 miles. There's no way we'd be able to get there without supercharging even when fully charged to 300 miles. But we can get back to San Jose from Truckee if fully charged without stopping to supercharge. The first 65 miles of the return trip uses only about 40 miles of rated range due to the amount of down hill, leaving us with 260 miles of rated range to go 160 miles. We get home to San Jose with 10-20 miles of range left.

We also own a Tesla Model 3 LR. Part of my frustration is that while the rated range of the two cars are very similar, the actual range I get on the MY is much less than the M3. On the M3, I get about 20% less than the rated range, compared to 30% less on the MY. My theory is that under ideal circumstances, they may have similar range, but if you drive fast (70+ mph), the penalty on the MY is much greater, due to it's larger size.

Others have chimed in and I think the OP is switching to % display instead of miles. That's something I don't get about people using the estimated miles remaining in EVs for the SOC display. Most ICE vehicles I drove before switching to EV had estimated range remaining. I pretty much never trusted that estimate. So when I got into my first EV I naturally switched the SOC display to % immediately. Once you get into using the % display, you start paying attention to consumption data (Wh/Mi), temperature, speed, etc, and build a mental database on how the car would perform in various conditions and plan accordingly.

So that 91 miles would use 137 miles of range, which is pretty close to your experience. That makes the calculation easier. Say if you have to drive 120 miles to your destination, you would need to have 180 miles of range left to get there (roughly).

In my quick skim of the responses I didn't see a couple of factors. I think a big factor is how fast you drive. You'd get far more range driving at 55 mph than at 75 mph. But then who buys a Tesla to go 55 mph, especially when all the cars around you are going over 70mph?

The problem with "rated" range it is based on driving in ideal conditions and driving a lot slower than 70 mph. It's also assuming you will drive until you hit 0%, which is rather impractical.

The longest trip leg I make is about 175 miles on the Interstate. With the spacing of Superchargers, that works out really well.

I am looking to purchase a used Tesla from private party that has free super charging. There is a super charging station right next to my office. My thought is I can super charge daily or as needed while at work.

Is daily super charging bad for the car, even if charged to say 70-80%?

I am looking to purchase a used Tesla from private party that has free super charging. There is a super charging station right next to my office. My thought is I can super charge daily or as needed while at work.

Is daily super charging bad for the car, even if charged to say 70-80%?
Supercharging may be free but if more than 50% of the charging spaces are in use Tesla may charge you an idling fee ($1.00 per minute) if not actively charging and plugged into a Supercharger (SC).

Supercharging is quickest, most efficient when the Tesla vehicle has been preconditioned for Supercharging. If the SC is next to your workplace there won't be enough time for the Tesla vehicle to precondition before using the Supercharger. (Preconditioning for Supercharging only functions while the Tesla vehicle is being driven.) The actual Supercharger charging rate could be 1/2 or 1/3rd of the maximum charging rate depending on the battery state of charge and temperature. Tesla owners who value their time usually will precondition for Supercharging to minimize the time spent at the SC.

Tesla recommends leaving the Tesla vehicle plugged in when not in use but this applies to when plugged in at home or work, not when using a Supercharger. Depending on how far your commute and other daily driving distance is you may only need to use the SC every second or third day and on the weekend for longer trips.

Regular or exclusively charging using a SC does stress the battery more than charging at the lower kW rate when using 240V charging. The Tesla vehicle monitors and manages the SC charging session to preserve the health of the battery. The highest Level 2 (240V) kW charging rate is 11.5kW. The lowest SC kW charging rate is 72kW (6.25X higher, correspondingly faster.)

Currently there are several different generations of SC in use in the US.

Gen2 can charge at up to a maximum of either 120kW or 150kW maximum charge rate
Gen3 can charge at up to 250kW (only for about 5 minutes, then the rate starts to taper down)
Urban SC are found in parking garages, can charge at up to 72kW. The Urban SC are the slowest but may be the least stressful due to the lower maximum kW of the Urban SC.

If I could only use a SC I would seek out an Urban SC as the maximum 72kW charge rate is well within 1C where C is the capacity of the battery in kWh. Keeping the charge rate to 1C or less would be better for the long term health of the battery.

Supercharging may be free but if more than 50% of the charging spaces are in use Tesla may charge you an idling fee ($1.00 per minute) if not actively charging and plugged into a Supercharger (SC).

Supercharging is quickest, most efficient when the Tesla vehicle has been preconditioned for Supercharging. If the SC is next to your workplace there won't be enough time for the Tesla vehicle to precondition before using the Supercharger. (Preconditioning for Supercharging only functions while the Tesla vehicle is being driven.) The actual Supercharger charging rate could be 1/2 or 1/3rd of the maximum charging rate depending on the battery state of charge and temperature. Tesla owners who value their time usually will precondition for Supercharging to minimize the time spent at the SC.

Tesla recommends leaving the Tesla vehicle plugged in when not in use but this applies to when plugged in at home or work, not when using a Supercharger. Depending on how far your commute and other daily driving distance is you may only need to use the SC every second or third day and on the weekend for longer trips.

Regular or exclusively charging using a SC does stress the battery more than charging at the lower kW rate when using 240V charging. The Tesla vehicle monitors and manages the SC charging session to preserve the health of the battery. The highest Level 2 (240V) kW charging rate is 11.5kW. The lowest SC kW charging rate is 72kW (6.25X higher, correspondingly faster.)

Currently there are several different generations of SC in use in the US.

Gen2 can charge at up to a maximum of either 120kW or 150kW maximum charge rate
Gen3 can charge at up to 250kW (only for about 5 minutes, then the rate starts to taper down)
Urban SC are found in parking garages, can charge at up to 72kW. The Urban SC are the slowest but may be the least stressful due to the lower maximum kW of the Urban SC.

If I could only use a SC I would seek out an Urban SC as the maximum 72kW charge rate is well within 1C where C is the capacity of the battery in kWh. Keeping the charge rate to 1C or less would be better for the long term health of the battery.
Thanks for the detail lotnof of which I am still digesting as I am new to Tesla and ev world - had no idea about the pre conditioning

I looked up the super charger in the garage next to my work and its

"16 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 72kW"

I would only charge for 30 mins or so during lunch and not let it sit there. Based on your note above doesn't seem like it would be that harmful to the battery health ? I would only charge to 60-80 every 2-3 days and would plug in at home to 80 every night

Thanks for the detail lotnof of which I am still digesting as I am new to Tesla and ev world - had no idea about the pre conditioning

I looked up the super charger in the garage next to my work and its

"16 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 72kW"

I would only charge for 30 mins or so during lunch and not let it sit there. Based on your note above doesn't seem like it would be that harmful to the battery health ? I would only charge to 60-80 every 2-3 days and would plug in at home to 80 every night
When using an Urban SC, if the Tesla vehicle's battery state of charge is more than ~60% and you don't precondition for Supercharging the maximum rate may be as little as 25kW to 36kW depending on temperature. Slower but potentially better for the longer term health of the battery.

If you have free lifetime Supercharging available there is no reason to plug in to charge at home unless you can't get to a SC and need to charge.

When using an Urban SC, if the Tesla vehicle's battery state of charge is more than ~60% and you don't precondition for Supercharging the maximum rate may be as little as 25kW to 36kW depending on temperature. Slower but potentially better for the longer term health of the battery.

If you have free lifetime Supercharging available there is no reason to plug in to charge at home unless you can't get to a SC and need to charge.
Thanks my commute to work is 25 miles one way and often I drive quite a bit for work meetings and gym.. car I'm looking at is a 2017 s 75 which gives 200 miles on 80% I believe .. only getting range anxiety lol

Debating if free sc is worth it or to get a newer used car (2018-2019) which has more battery warranty left

How much does sc cost if not free ?

Thanks my commute to work is 25 miles one way and often I drive quite a bit for work meetings and gym.. car I'm looking at is a 2017 s 75 which gives 200 miles on 80% I believe .. only getting range anxiety lol

Debating if free sc is worth it or to get a newer used car (2018-2019) which has more battery warranty left

How much does sc cost if not free ?
SC cost varies by location. There are also peak and off-peak SC rates in use in at least some areas. In general SC costs about the same as gas or premium gas would cost you to drive an ICE vehicle. Free lifetime SC is a good deal depending on how much you drive. Utility rates in CA are among the highest in the lower 48 states so anything you can do to offset or minimize charging at home whether free to you SC or free to use charging at work is a sound strategy for saving money.