Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range is quickly dropping, any suggestions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 S60 with 106k miles on it that I bought in Sept 14. My wife drives 70 miles daily and we use it as our main car during our weekend errands. This car has been great but now that we are high mileage we are noticing some issues.

90% charge which we do daily is increasingly decreased to the point of 145 miles RR. When we first had the car this was 185 miles. Now a 100% charge gets us 162 miles. The car was rated for 205 in 2014. I expect a drop of 10% but we are nearing 20% at this point and my battery warranty expires at 125k miles.

The SC always says the battery is fine but this range is boarding on unusable now. My wife gets home with less then 50 miles each night and wh/mile is around 300. We don’t supercharge all that often and I am starting to worry.

Should I rebalance that battery according to Bjorn or should I push the SC for a replacement?

Thanks

Attachments

• 43293012-0F3A-4C96-BC5F-0AE240A7C9D8.png
    43293012-0F3A-4C96-BC5F-0AE240A7C9D8.png
    587.4 KB · Views: 128
I have a 2014 S60 with 106k miles on it that I bought in Sept 14. My wife drives 70 miles daily and we use it as our main car during our weekend errands. This car has been great but now that we are high mileage we are noticing some issues.

90% charge which we do daily is increasingly decreased to the point of 145 miles RR. When we first had the car this was 185 miles. Now a 100% charge gets us 162 miles. The car was rated for 205 in 2014. I expect a drop of 10% but we are nearing 20% at this point and my battery warranty expires at 125k miles.

The SC always says the battery is fine but this range is boarding on unusable now. My wife gets home with less then 50 miles each night and wh/mile is around 300. We don’t supercharge all that often and I am starting to worry.

Should I rebalance that battery according to Bjorn or should I push the SC for a replacement?

Thanks
Run the battery all the way down and do a full charge.

...Now a 100% charge gets us 162 miles...

That picture shows that it still has not finished 100% charging even when it says "complete."

If yours a Model 3, it would be guaranteed to 70%.

205 x 0.70 =143.5 rated miles.

But S and X do not have that guarantee on a degradation percentage.

You need to prove that your S or X can no longer hold a charge.

When choosing an EV, people keep talking about the best scenario of how far theirs would go but they seldom talk about the worse scenario of cold weather and battery degradation.

...how do I prove that...

Shorter range might be because of:

1) Miscalculation: The system drifts as time goes on until it's no longer accurate.
2) Degradation
3) a cell no longer holds a charge.

For the S and X, Tesla only honors the #3: no longer hold a charge.

As @SilverSp33d3r pointed out of the tool above, you should see a pretty much even voltage across the measurements of all the bricks. If one of them drastically drops more than others, that might indicate that brick has a cell that can no longer hold a charge.

• Love
Reactions: sorka
You should try depleting it and charging it up to 80/90 few times to see if it will “reset” calcs. Then charge to 100 only a little before departure. Or just charge to 100 and go for a drive so it wont sit at 100 for long.

Hey! A used Leaf is the best value for an EV! I come home with 5 to 20 miles left on my leaf. Iam an adrenaline junky :D

Well then I hope that I have a bad module then. I was under the impression that a less then 10% degrade was possiable and that was fine with me. If this keeps creeping up into less then 150 miles full range, it will be a major issue. I just bought a 3 and love the long range battery but I really want my S to be my favorite car, even without AP.

There seems to be an issue with 2014 S60s and Tesla keeps telling owners that their batteries are fine. There have been quite a few posts about excessive degradation on S60s, and as far as I remember, they've all been 2014s. I own a July 2013 S60 with 90k miles. My 90% was 172-175 last summer and it's about 167 now that it's gotten very cold around here.

There seems to be an issue with 2014 S60s and Tesla keeps telling owners that their batteries are fine. There have been quite a few posts about excessive degradation on S60s, and as far as I remember, they've all been 2014s. I own a July 2013 S60 with 90k miles. My 90% was 172-175 last summer and it's about 167 now that it's gotten very cold around here.
Of course, cold weather range loss is not permanent battery degradation and I hope you know that.

Reactions: electric-dna
That’s not bad. I wonder why I’m seeing such poor battery life and why Tesla won’t do something about it. I know for sure I can’t charge to 100%. What I want to know is why the cells hold 20% less now. I expected 5% but 20 is pushing the usability of the vehicle.

Don't some of the 60s have a software-limited bigger battery, like a 70 / 75 kWh version? If so, shouldn't a Tesla Service Center charge and balance the battery to full? With the Model S 75, 85, 90 or 100 I know you can balance the battery by charging higher than 93% and letting the charge fully complete. Once it completes, drive the car within 15 minutes afterward for better battery health.

Also, many owners have between 0% - 5% degradation total, even after several years of ownership. Tesla batteries are liquid cooled / heated, and you can dynamically adjust the maximum charge level between 50% - 100%. These factors help battery life significantly.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: 2012MS85
Don't some of the 60s have a software-limited bigger battery, like a 70 / 75 kWh version? If so, shouldn't a Tesla Service Center charge and balance the battery to full? With the Model S 75, 85, 90 or 100 I know you can balance the battery by charging higher than 93% and letting the charge fully complete. Once it completes, drive the car within 15 minutes afterward for better battery health.

Also, many owners have between 0% - 5% degradation total, even after several years of ownership. Tesla batteries are liquid cooled / heated, and you can dynamically adjust the maximum charge level between 50% - 100%. These factors help battery life significantly.

Any 60's made post facelift have this, but 2013 and 2014 60's have a true 60 (actually 58) kWh battery

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700