Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Issue: Model Y Performance 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this normal?
Yes, because...
keeping my speed around 75-80.
That is very high versus what is used for the EPA official efficiency ratings method. The force of air resistance goes up incredibly fast, exponentially with speed. You can about match the EPA "rated miles" 1 to 1 if you have heat and A/C off and are going around 65 mph. If you're going 80 mph, that's going to drain those significantly faster.

Now I can already feel it coming (we've seen it many times), where people flip out and say, "I paid $XX,XXX for this car! I shouldn't have to slow down!!" No one is saying you have to. Drive 110 mph if you want to. But this is just informational that you are not going to match the EPA efficiency ratings doing that, and you may just need to charge longer at Supercharger stops.

Yes, because...

That is very high versus what is used for the EPA official efficiency ratings method. The force of air resistance goes up incredibly fast, exponentially with speed. You can about match the EPA "rated miles" 1 to 1 if you have heat and A/C off and are going around 65 mph. If you're going 80 mph, that's going to drain those significantly faster.

Now I can already feel it coming (we've seen it many times), where people flip out and say, "I paid $XX,XXX for this car! I shouldn't have to slow down!!" No one is saying you have to. Drive 110 mph if you want to. But this is just informational that you are not going to match the EPA efficiency ratings doing that, and you may just need to charge longer at Supercharger stops.

LOL at the flip out commentary :)

To the OP, I typically plan on charging every 150 miles on a road trip, if you want to travel at 80+ MPH like me you will be charging more often. To minimize trip time you drive fast, and don't charge past 80% unless you absolutely have to... I typically arrive at or near 10% and charge up to the minimum needed to get to the next station with 10% buffer.

Also, if you are getting 220 miles at 80 mph you are probably charging to 100%... you may want to back that down to 90% or less for daily use.

Keith

A simple rough estimate for expected range as a function of highway speeds: expected range = EPA Range * 55/your-speed. If your EPA Range is 303 and you're driving 80, expect 303*55/80=208 miles. At 75 MPH, 303*55/75=222 miles.

The force from the wind goes up (roughly) linearly with speed, so that reduces your range by roughly the same factor.

BTW, there is often confusion around this, because many recall the wind resistance going up by speed^2. The power it takes to overcome the wind is indeed a factor of speed^2, but the energy per mile is linear. As a simple example, if you double your speed, you need 4x the power to overcome the wind; however, at this speed, you are only driving half of the amount of time to get somewhere, thus 4x/2=2x the energy.

I said my range equation is a rough estimate because there are many other (less important) factors. For example, battery efficiency and motor efficiency are lower at high currents.

I dunno about you guys but I just drove from SF to LA...left with 96%...avg 80 mph and 265 wh/mi on 51 psi. A/c set to 70 degrees on fan speed 2... Got to kettleman with about 25 miles left. System indicated 12% at arrival got there about 9-10%...seems but be about what I normally get but that's is strictly all freeway...I'm no where near 200-225 total range.

I dunno about you guys but I just drove from SF to LA...left with 96%...avg 80 mph and 265 wh/mi on 51 psi. A/c set to 70 degrees on fan speed 2... Got to kettleman with about 25 miles left. System indicated 12% at arrival got there about 9-10%...seems but be about what I normally get but that's is strictly all freeway...I'm no where near 200-225 total range.
51 psi is rock hard man... so that is one aspect. But two, 265 wh/mi... that's not MYP territory. Were you driving a MYP?

51 psi is rock hard man... so that is one aspect. But two, 265 wh/mi... that's not MYP territory. Were you driving a MYP?
Oops yes MYP...late 2021 build. On road trips I tend to bump it up since the roads are smoother than in the city and looks seems to help with mileage. I get about 240-250 range normally within the city...but ofc we have crazy hills here.

I see about 240 miles on my 21 my long range with Gemini wheels. I think the newer ones would be closer to 260.

This is at closer to 75, though. At 80 on uberturbines, I'd expect 220 to be pretty close.

Also, I doubt you will see a difference with chill mode. I wouldn't do that.

The force from the wind goes up (roughly) linearly with speed, so that reduces your range by roughly the same factor.
That is not what I was taught in freshman Aero at MIT. The force (not energy) available from the action of moving air was pronounced as "rho halves v squared". Where Rho is the air density, and v is velocity. I can still hear the professor emeritus intoning that phrase many times in some classes. He dated back to the early 20's, and was pulled in as a consultant to Henry Kaiser to design an air transport alternative to sea transport to Great Britain during WWII (that one did not get built).

Archae86, good point; my explanation is flawed. My conclusion seems valid though. Gotta ponder this a bit.

The graph below is from Tesla, and shows the range falling roughly linearly with speed when traveling at highway speeds.

Screenshot_20220814-021219_Chrome.jpg

In this same article is the graph below. For the MS of that year, the wh/mi at 50 MPH is 250. At 80 MPH, it's 400. 80/50*250=400 -> linear. Yes, the line isn't straight, but for the 50 to 80 range, it's way closer to a line than a quadratic. Scratching my head...
Screenshot_20220814-022526_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CaseyL
Archae86, good point; my explanation is flawed. My conclusion seems valid though. Gotta ponder this a bit.
I think I found this graph somewhere on this web site. I can't vouch for accuracy. It does help the point that aero is negligible at really low speeds, and utterly dominant at high speeds.

Edit:
You can get a quick check of square-law behavior of the aero component by eyeball
20 mph 12 Wh/mile
40 mph 50 Wh/mil
80 mph 200 Wh/mile

each doubling spans much more of the width, so naturally it looks less curvy.
T_Eff_0.gif

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec and Rocky_H