Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range left in % question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All, I tried to search for this. So when you use navigation and it shows you % left (Range) at your destination. Is that % left of what you have right now? % left of a FULL charge. Or % left of the starting charge?

Just telling me 24% remaining does not really tell me how many miles I will have left (Or at least rough miles based on my last X miles driven)

Seems like if they just made it miles left then it would make more sense.

Thanks

Percent of a full charge. The trip planner's units are unfortunately not changeable, but you can use the Units menu to change your main display to percent too. A lot of people like running in percentage units to avoid obsessing over small changes in their rated miles.

Reactions: outdoors
A lot of people like running in percentage units to avoid obsessing over small changes in their rated miles.

Yep. I'm one of those. Besides, I never had an ICE with the gas gauge calibrated in miles. I'd rather use the car's Energy App (or trip computer in an ICE) to tell me how far I can really go based on my current recent driving patterns. Putting the Tesla energy display in miles is just a linear representation of the car's EPA rated range from Full to Empty. It does not factor in weather, driving conditions etc.

Yep. I'm one of those. Besides, I never had an ICE with the gas gauge calibrated in miles. I'd rather use the car's Energy App (or trip computer in an ICE) to tell me how far I can really go based on my current recent driving patterns. Putting the Tesla energy display in miles is just a linear representation of the car's EPA rated range from Full to Empty. It does not factor in weather, driving conditions etc.

Indeed. Rated miles are just as meaningless as any arbitrary unit like percent. Except percentages are consistent with the trip computer's calculations, consistent with how you set charge limit, and easier to do math on in your head.

Reactions: ChadS
I'm still on the other side of the opinion. Since I don't have on-board navigation, I don't have a projected % remaining display. The map can tell me only the straight-line distance to my destination. Since I know I come close to matching EPA range (except in the winter), I have a pretty good idea how many range-miles I need to get there. A % SOC display would not help me; if I were using %, I'd have to convert the distance on the map to %.

I know OT for this thread, but the OP's question has been answered so I thought I'd ramble a bit.

Um, I think some of the above responses might be incorrect. If you put in a destination, the percent remaining at the end of the trip is based on you starting the trip right now with your current charge. If you have 50% now and navigate a short distance, your arrival charge will be say ~40%. If you do the exact same thing but you start at 90%, it will show you arriving with ~80%.

Maybe I misunderstood the question?

This has been an issue since 2012 when the S was made!
The Nav should show a MILES left, not a %, everywhere is miles. charging, range, etc. etc. BUT this spot.

Consistency is... something... something.. who said that?

I was convinced consistency went completely out the window when they changed the app placement. Terribly annoying.
Further confirmed when the map only covers the app icons automatically when driving, not when learning the UI while parked.

So the NAV displays only distances, but the trip screen only shows projected % SOC remaining - no matter what "Energy Units" are set to? Makes perfect sense when you consider the rest of the UI.

BTW, I didn't think the 2012 (& 2013) versions of the software had that trip graph. Didn't that come with V6 or later?

Every time I enter an address the car's computing ability is right on. I have yet to arrive at a destination at a different percentage than it told me from the beginning, even with traffic. I'm sure if I floored it constantly it would change but I am impressed at the accuracy. The rated miles? Not so much.

I plug in my commute every morning, as well as other trips, and so far in the last month or so, I’ve always done better than the estimated SoC on arrival. So in 30 miles of driving I usually use about 13-14%, but my trip calc always expects me to use 16%. This happens with and without traffic. I’m not complaining, as I feel like I’m doing better than expected, but it is curious to me that it doesn’t factor in driving history since this happens every day, and pretty much every trip longer than say 5 miles.

I think for me the issue is really that I should not have to sit there and do math in my head. Not to mention that it requires you to know some information that is not presented to you nor is it told to you anywhere.

Here was my trip this weekend.

Car said 219 miles of range (I do not charge fully) Full charge is 248 miles.
Typed in navigation. The actual mileage is 75 miles. (Which BTW after 1 year I know is about 90 miles of range)
Nav said I would have 47% left.

So to start off. I know based on a years worth of driving that I will use about 90 miles of range.

So lets assume the car has figured out my driving and it knows I will use about 90 miles.

IF its 47% left of 219 miles then it would be 117 mile trip. Not close.
IF its 47% of 248 miles then it would be a 103 mile trip. Closer.

I suppose the answer is that its of full charge. But I still think its a long way off.

I do understand its also based on your last X miles driven. But I would still argue showing a predicted miles left is so much more simple. I think everyone already agrees that we understand its not perfect. But having to sit there and do math after I type in my destination is not the thing I want to be doing. I want to drive!!!! and I want the UI to be easy to understand, not require much thought from me.

Thanks for the comments.

I think for me the issue is really that I should not have to sit there and do math in my head. Not to mention that it requires you to know some information that is not presented to you nor is it told to you anywhere.

Here was my trip this weekend.

Car said 219 miles of range (I do not charge fully) Full charge is 248 miles.
Typed in navigation. The actual mileage is 75 miles. (Which BTW after 1 year I know is about 90 miles of range)
Nav said I would have 47% left.

So to start off. I know based on a years worth of driving that I will use about 90 miles of range.

So lets assume the car has figured out my driving and it knows I will use about 90 miles.

IF its 47% left of 219 miles then it would be 117 mile trip. Not close.
IF its 47% of 248 miles then it would be a 103 mile trip. Closer.

I suppose the answer is that its of full charge. But I still think its a long way off.

I do understand its also based on your last X miles driven. But I would still argue showing a predicted miles left is so much more simple. I think everyone already agrees that we understand its not perfect. But having to sit there and do math after I type in my destination is not the thing I want to be doing. I want to drive!!!! and I want the UI to be easy to understand, not require much thought from me.

Thanks for the comments.
For some math is very tough. Is this what people now complain about? Yikes.

For some math is very tough. Is this what people now complain about? Yikes.
lol. Im not gonna bite :) It's not about the math. It's about UI (User Interface) and UX (User Experience) Maybe my expectations for a $120k car and a company that I would call a (Tech Company) are too high. I just think in this area they can do better and I would imagine they would want to do better.

NAV reports an anticipated SOC remaining after the trip. It would be based on the full battery capacity.

Speculation from what I've interpreted so far (again I don't have NAV so can't test theories):
It does not take into account your past driving, (or weather) but does take into account elevation. Somebody chime in here, because if it doesn't take into account heat in winter the estimate will be far off.

BTW, you have some pretty fuzzy math above. I think you reversed your numbers:
47% of 219 is 103
47% of 248 is 117

So if the trip planner suggests 47% remaining, you'd have 117 RM remaining but only if you matched NAV's estimated use. If you want to check % remaining compared to RM after your trip (any time actually), you have to go to the units screen and change to Energy. If you only had say 100 miles left after your trip, % remaining should read more like 40.

Also I agree; if you're using NAV and it says XXX miles to your destination, it makes no sense to estimate SOC % remaining when you get there. I think I remember reading a post that NAV gives you the option to select Round-Trip SOC remaining though, so that could help. Not when you're going somewhere else afterwards, which of course way-points would help.

People have been complaining about different aspects of NAV since the beginning: lack of way-points, alternate routes, routing issues, etc. etc. This all reinforces my opinion that I made the right choice by not getting NAV.

You are right. Im a little off. But its not reversed. I just wasn’t as clear as I could be.

47% of 219 is 103. But my trip is 75 miles. So if it's 103 remaining on a starting milage of 219 then it implies my trip would be 116 miles. I rounded up.

And 47% of 248 is 117. On a 75 mile trip that would imply it thinks I will use 102 miles with 219 being the same starting point. I rounded up to 103. This is much closer to my 90 mile average.

I was just trying to show on my 75 mile trip what it thinks I will use. Not where it will end up.

Either way I see that you are right that its based on full charge.

Thanks
NIck