TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Range loss 2020.24.6.4

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dano9258, Jul 13, 2020.

1. dano9258

dano9258 Member

I just got this update a few days ago and I've instantly lost about 6 miles of range. Anybody else lose range?

2. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Yes. Other threads here about it - please search.

• Funny x 1
  3. Puddles

Puddles Member

I had 302 at 100% this morning, vs. 296 a couple of weeks ago. Isn't this within the range of uncertainty?

• Like x 1
  4. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Haven't gotten it yet. But for me it's battery percentage and forget it

• Like x 2
  5. SoManyM3s

SoManyM3s Member

Mine went up by 5 miles

6. Sam1

Sam1 Member

My range went up almost 10 miles

7. buttnutt

buttnutt Member

Mine went down 7 miles after update

8. Puddles

Puddles Member

Well that’s settled then.

• Funny x 4
  9. Morhydro

Morhydro Member

My range initially went from 310 to 302 then back up to 312 and then back down to 307.............

10. CertLive

CertLive Member

Tesla please just add setting to dash to show customers their current battery degradation... It would stop 50 million forum posts like this and be a practical way to advice the customer of their expectations of the pack. Its there on the can bus.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
  11. Morhydro

Morhydro Member

Don't worry - I know all the mileage thing is a wind up. This is my fourth electric car and I know that the range is not only the battery state, including temperature but also a history of recent driving. I don't really care what it says - my first EV did 35 miles on a charge, the second around, 75, the third around 90 so plus or minus a few miles on the M3 is of no concern!

• Like x 1
  12. AKinDC

AKinDC Member

I'm still on 2020.20.12...how many updates behind am I?!?

13. kpeng

kpeng Member

Every time a major update happens, people always scream I LOST RANGE! OMG! MY RANGE!

Again, another pattern people have yet to catch onto.

14. M109Rider

M109Rider Active Member

Having that will likely not reduce any posts in this area.
    There are those that will post, as soon as they lose one single mile.

It would be better for Tesla to place a pop up window within the next update that we need to click OK on, that sets expectations on what to expect for your battery degradation, how to care for it, and how variances will be seen for many reasons.

15. AKinDC

AKinDC Member

I think it's fair to say that Tesla should do a better job to set reasonable degradation expectations/how to care for it upon purchase.

• Disagree x 2
  16. St☰v☰

St☰v☰ Member

How do know you "instantly lost 6 miles"? Did a banner flash on your screen telling you lost 6 miles? 6 miles could be a charging or consumption anomaly. Charge a few times and then tell us what you find. I have that same SW version and haven't seen any loss.

• Like x 1
  17. jsrawa

jsrawa Active Member

I lost about four miles with this update. I can say it with confidence as I have charged many times before and since with consistent results.

• Informative x 1
  18. M109Rider

M109Rider Active Member

If you lost 4 miles after an update, then it’s likely not a physical loss. It’s likely just a visual loss. I wouldn’t stress about it.

We’ve been reading these software update loss’s and increases for a almost two years now on forums. It goes up and down.

While I wouldn’t recommend it, the only true way to test your range is to charge to 100% then drive down as close to zero as possible (while at reasonable speeds).

My suggestion, and I’m sure you’ve heard this before, is to set your display to % not distance, and maybe check your range once in a while. Otherwise, in my opinion, you’re stressing over range you may not have lost. Or your stressing over a few miles lost, that really don’t matter all that much.

• Like x 1
  19. CertLive

CertLive Member

The only thing that has any bearing on these results imo in a realistic sense because every drive is different is the degradation value. Then you know how much you expect from the pack over time.

I have to say though to be honest still the best advice is to switch to percentage by default, will the car get you there? Yes.. If not will it supercharge Yes, will you still get there Yes. Do I stare at my phone running on the same technology getting less time today because I am running 5 apps instead of 3? No it will tell me when it needs to recharge.

But if after an update my degradation went from 99% to 98.3% hey if I have a grasp of batteries that's nothing expected loss. If I know nothing that looks tiny :D EPA needs to change to percentage then we can all relax. Time to change to batteries and time to change how we look at miles.

20. Mattopotamus

Mattopotamus Member

Some went from 2020.20.12 straight to 2020.24.6.4. Others went from 2020.20.12 to 2020.20.17 and then to 2020.24.6.4. At most you are two behind, but potentially 1 behind.

• Like x 1