Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range loss 2020.24.6.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My range went up almost 10 miles

Wanted to do a follow up on this. My range shot up when this update was pushed out, and dropped down to the lowest it has been after installing the latest update.

Anyone else seeing this type of jump and drop in range?

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 7.36.40 AM.png

I “lost” about 10 miles but we’ll see what happens next update as this seems to fluctuate a bit.

Honestly, I understand the argument people are making about setting battery display to percentage but i don’t really agree with people who compare it to phone batteries or gas/fuel tanks. The reason percentage works for those so well is because chargers/ gas stations are so ubiquitous that it’s trivial to fill up but on a road trip I want to know a rough estimate of miles of how far I can go to get to the next charger. Yes I will adjust that number up/down based on altitude, speed, temp, etc. but it’s a good starting point. I don’t ever see a sign saying “42% to North Cascades” so I just use the mileage display

I “lost” about 10 miles but we’ll see what happens next update as this seems to fluctuate a bit.

Honestly, I understand the argument people are making about setting battery display to percentage but i don’t really agree with people who compare it to phone batteries or gas/fuel tanks. The reason percentage works for those so well is because chargers/ gas stations are so ubiquitous that it’s trivial to fill up but on a road trip I want to know a rough estimate of miles of how far I can go to get to the next charger. Yes I will adjust that number up/down based on altitude, speed, temp, etc. but it’s a good starting point. I don’t ever see a sign saying “42% to North Cascades” so I just use the mileage display

Noone here would care if Tesla would be open and state i.e. with an update what is happening to the battery.

I.e. if I'd have a display i.e. "useable capacity 68kwh +- 0.6kwh. Subzero Buffer 2kwh" and then an update "reduced useable capacity by 2kwh on certain cars due to issues with cell stability to preserve longevity - possible to increase this in the next few months again if all ok" then everyone would be happy and literally noone would complain. If someone asks I would just say "I have around 2% degradation and Tesla are currently locking 3% due to some issues they picked up with my series of battery packs".

But instead people dont sleep at night because the car suddenly has 3% less range displayed.